Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gobblers Knob 2018-09-01
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 am 
After many years of wanting to do this hike I finally got around to it. The 3+ mile road walk was mostly to blame for my percrastination. I left home early with my bike in the back and had hopes of getting through the Nisqually gate before NPS Rangers collected the $30 daily fee. Wouldn't you know that I got there at 7:02am, I guessed he started only 2 minutes prior...... I drove up the road about 2-3 miles before parking and unloading my bike. Even with a bike I still dreaded this road since I had a feeling it'd be a gradual incline the entire way.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
The Kautz Creek raged near the road as I neared it at one point.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
After many "mini" breaks I finally made it to Round Pass and my TH. The NPS has installed a bike rack with a metal bar for securing with a lock....of which I forgot at home. A prayer would have to suffice to keep my bike in place. I will say that I didn't see any reason this road couldn't be re-opened to vehicular traffic as there were signs of traffic from NPS vehicles. Once on the trail it felt good to once again be back in my favorite NP. I know that many people consider MRNP their favorite and everybody has their reasoning. I've visited many NP's around the country but none so far match the beauty and diversity that I always find here.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Only a mile on the trail and I came up to Lake George and it's pristine water. I went to the shelter and took a short nap (I must be getting old!)
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
about 20 minutes later I re-hit the trail and soon was at the junction for Goat Lake (USFS land). From here it's about .4 mile to the lookout.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
I was afforded a quick sucker hole of blue sky and I had hopes for some views at the summit.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Getting nearer I saw that the sucker hole had in fact suckered me right in, there were clouds everywhere the eyes could see.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob
I ate my lunch then laid down on the catwalk around 10:30, I awoke around 12:30 eek.gif eek.gif I knew I was tired, but I napped longer than it took me to ascend the lookout!!!!! On my way up I had only encountered one man and one woman going to different places. He to Klapatche and she to Emerald Ridge. On my way back down I met the masses. I must have passed about 12 people! I was sure glad that I got up to the lookout when I did and got the peace and solitude that I've always been accustomed to. The hike down was otherwise uneventful and back at the trailhead I found my bike as well as about half a dozen more, all with locks. I put on my biking shoes and prepared for a quick descent. What took over an hour to ascend took only 15 minutes to descend. At one point I reached speeds of 30 mph on a loose gravel road, not conditions to have a wipeout!! Back a the car the parking area was very full. Anyway, a great day to be out in the Great PNW and enjoy the beauty of our beautiful backyard park.
Gobblers Knob
Gobblers Knob

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 am 
well done! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message