Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fern Lake - Spangled Banner Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ReubenD

ReubenD
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 6:13 pm 
My wife and I were originally planning on doing the Foss Lakes trail down to Chetwoot over the long weekend, but when we arrived at the trailhead, mosquitoes caused us to change plans and set our sights on a a drier area. We'd never been to the Entiat, but we had the whole weekend and a short hike ahead of us. The first few miles are through an old burn. Something about the silver and black trees mixed with flowering green shrubs always makes me smile.
The sun had already gone down over the west ridge when we arrived, so we set up camp and had dinner before turning in early. The wind blew all night, but it wasn't too bad. The next morning after the sun started warming the tent up a few strong gusts pulled up a couple stakes so I got out of bed to restake the tent and take some pictures before making breakfast.
After breakfast, we headed up to Spangled Banner. It's a very straightforward route, if loose in places; just head up climber's left till it looks climbable, then head up the class 2 gully. Eventually it flattens out a bit and the summit is pretty obvious. Great views all around here, including more of the Chelan range, Glacier Peak area, and even all the way past the Daniel/Hinman complex to Ranier.
After soaking in the views for a while, we headed back down to relax by the beach for the rest of the afternoon and went to bed early again to get an early start at 4am.
Windy the whole time, but very beautiful area. I'll look forward to coming back here in larch season sometime. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 6:35 pm 
Nice one. I'm hoping to head up when the larches are golden this year.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:26 pm 
I have been there once with my son when bugs were ferocious. It was a tough pull up after crossing the river. Your TR inspires me to do it again. Thanks. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)