Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hessong Rock/Mt Pleasant 8.29.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 pm 
Alas dear readers, day three in the Dad/daughter vacation time at Mowich Lake. After our long day of off trail for Echo and Observation, we of course slept in until 9 am, had breakfast bagels, and now packed day packs to return to Spray Park and tag Hessong Rock and Mt Pleasant on yet another beautiful day. To be honest we were tiring a bit of the trail to Spray Park, this being our third time on it. But soon enough we entered the lower meadows of Spray Park and could see our destinations, Hessong Rock and Mt Pleasant. The informal trail to the saddle that leads to both summits was easily visible as we neared. I had climbed this a couple of years ago hiking with a buddy of mine and was impressed by the wide open views from the saddle, and today was no exception. All of Spray Park lay before us, with previous destinations Echo and Observation in the distance. I have a nice 8-18 Leica wide angle lens for my G9 and it still didn't do this massive view justice. But wait, there's more! Cassie and I set off on the back side of Hessong to attain the summit, and once on top were blown away by an EVEN MORE MASSIVE view! Gotta be one of the best spots in the entire park, with unobstructed sight lines in all directions. We could have spent a few hours up there, maybe succumbing to occular overload, but eventually we pried ourselves off the summit and returned to the saddle with Mt Pleasant in sight. An easy stroll led us to this summit, almost as good as Hessong....I'd give it a 9.6 vice a Hessong 10. As we were lounging there it became obvious we could descend to the Knapsack pass trail vice heading back the way we came. An easy ridge/meadow scramble deposited us on this trail so we could make a loop. Nice! we lingered more in this area then made our way towards the pass. I screwed up in finding the transition to the "trail" out of Knapsack Pass, climbing too high. Luckily I serve as Cassie's pathfinder and she stayed low until I found the correct entry point, avoiding the sliding crud I had to cross to get on track. Nasty stuff, and rather dumb of me. But once on the trail the rest of the day going over Knapsack and down the lonely and pleasant trail had us dipping our feet in an idyllic creek and picking blueberries for an afternoon snack as we were in no hurry. We contemplated going out to Tolmie and tagging Tolmie Peak and Howard that evening, but what's the rush? Plenty of time to hang out by the lake after dinner and once again try to stay up until dark, and once again having trouble doing that. TBC
Lower Spray Park
Lower Spray Park
Approaching our goals, Hessong Rock left Pleasant Mtn right
Approaching our goals, Hessong Rock left Pleasant Mtn right
Cassie climbing to saddle
Cassie climbing to saddle
Spray Park and Rainier from saddle
Spray Park and Rainier from saddle
Off for Hessong Rock, left
Off for Hessong Rock, left
Hessong from the back side
Hessong from the back side
As wide angle as it gets-Hessong Rock summit view
As wide angle as it gets-Hessong Rock summit view
Not LA! Cassie on Hessong Rock summit
Not LA! Cassie on Hessong Rock summit
Immense views from Hessong Rock summit
Immense views from Hessong Rock summit
Chillin' on Hessong summit
Chillin' on Hessong summit
Mt Pleasant next
Mt Pleasant next
View from Mt Pleasant summit
View from Mt Pleasant summit
Terrain heading towards Knapsack Pass
Terrain heading towards Knapsack Pass
Mt Pleasant summit view
Mt Pleasant summit view
After descending NE side of Mt Pleasant
After descending NE side of Mt Pleasant
Looking toward Knapsack Pass from Mt Pleasant
Looking toward Knapsack Pass from Mt Pleasant
Little bit o reflection
Little bit o reflection
Knapsack Pass
Knapsack Pass
Mowich Lake descending from Knapsack Pass
Mowich Lake descending from Knapsack Pass
Idyllic creek
Idyllic creek
Holding on to summer
Holding on to summer
Western Pasque flower (thanks Nordique!)
Western Pasque flower (thanks Nordique!)
Fall's a comin'
Fall's a comin'
Evening approachs on Mowich Lake
Evening approachs on Mowich Lake
Mowich Lake lonely tree
Mowich Lake lonely tree

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Aligeo1

Aligeo1
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:13 am 
This is a FUN loop! We hiked this a few years back and loved that the trail kept going. That ridge is part of a cool cirque. Beautiful pictures and weather!!

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 12:00 pm 
Beautiful shots and views!!! Thanks for sharing your dad/daughter time with us. I look forward to the day when my son and I can enjoy trips like this.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:43 pm 
Nice! I did the reverse loop including Fay with a nephew from back east some years back. Unfortunately, we did not have the weather you did but still enjoyed the traverse over Pleasant. It's great you can do this with your daughter.