Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cat, Carrie, Maiden, Elk, Eagle, Obstruction, 8/31- 9/1, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 2:47 pm 
I got a chance to hike with a friend whom I don't see very often. I pitched some ideas to Robin for northern Olympics, since that is where the least amount of smoke would be. She was skeptical about the Cat/Carrie day hike but eventually came around. August 31 Eagle Point - 6247 Nice short hike from the road.
Eagle
Eagle
Elk Mountain - 6778 Starting from Obstruction Point parking area we went to Elk Mountain. Some maps sets indicate a rocky outcropping labeled Point 6779 as the highest summit along the ridge. This is wrong.
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
resting buck
resting buck
mislabeled false summit with true summit behind
mislabeled false summit with true summit behind
A gentle rise a half mile to the east appears higher because it is. Old maps claim this rise is 6 feet lower at 6773 feet, but in actuality its about 15 feet higher than the rocky outcrop. I wasn’t sure, so visited both. Check the newer ArcGIS mapset if you don't believe it. Maiden Peak - 6434 Located east of Elk with a deep saddle in between.
Blue
Blue
Elk with false summit on the right
Elk with false summit on the right
Deception group
Deception group
Walkinshaw, Clark, Johnson, Deception
Walkinshaw, Clark, Johnson, Deception
Baldy, Gray Wolf, South Gray Wolf
Baldy, Gray Wolf, South Gray Wolf
Gray Wolf
Gray Wolf
Obstruction Point - 6450 For the last peak of the day we went up Obstruction which has a fine view.
Obstruction
Obstruction
Eagle Point and Angeles behind
Eagle Point and Angeles behind
Elk
Elk
September 1 Mount Carrie - 6995 We took the lower trail to Heart Lake and then the Bailey Range spur to the traverse around Cat Peak. This section of trail is precipitous and narrow. It’s amazing that a trail could be built across the slope here and it stands out in my mind as one of the more impressive trails in the entire state.
night hiking friends
night hiking friends
night hiking friends
night hiking friends
Cat west face
Cat west face
We came to the “catwalk” which is just as hazardous as the reputation. There are a few big loose rocks on the standard scramble route which require care.
catwalk
catwalk
Cat east face
Cat east face
Olympus
Olympus
Robbin made it to within 300 vertical feet of the summit when she said she wanted to take a nap. So I finished it alone. I tried to traverse steep scree above a snow patch, but it wasn’t working, so I finished on the upper northwest ridge. Typical Olympic choss. Clouds obscured most of the views, but I could see some glaciers down below. No register.
Carrie
Carrie
summit rocks
summit rocks
Fairchild
Fairchild
Fairchild, Michael, Ludden, Stephen
Fairchild, Michael, Ludden, Stephen
Cat Peak - 5900 Robin was feeling refreshed and joined me for Cat after we went back through the “catwalk”. There was a lot of talus on the peak to negotiate which slowed us down a bit. Two summit rock piles separated by 50 feet. No register.
double summit
double summit
Cat summit
Cat summit
Cat Creek drainage
Cat Creek drainage
We hiked back to the car and got there just after dark for a total of 17.5 hours and roughly 27 miles. Zero bear or goat sightings, which seems unusual for the area.
last look at Cat
last look at Cat
back at Heart Lake
back at Heart Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:58 pm 
Great to see you getting out again! And nice to see you and Robin linking up. That's a huge day, kudos to both of you up.gif

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:30 pm 
up.gif Nice to see you in person on the catwalk smile.gif I had the little blue backpack.