Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bear Encounters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 pm 
On the Methow BB from an encounter on Wolf Creek Rd...

Happy Trails... pasayten
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 pm 
gb, pasayton those are some interesting bear encounters. Pasayton, did you shoot that video? That's a magnificent animal. Look at the size of the head. And that's not even a real big bear. I'd guess 200 lbs, but maybe some folks have a better eye for such estimates. Not sure what was going on there. Was it just curious? Did it associate people with food?

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:34 pm 
Not my encounter... Just another member's post on the BB... Kyle Northcott It was a great and interesting video... Thought the bear was going to open the car door and look inside! hockeygrin.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
omhk

omhk
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 pm 
Saw a bear in the Silent Lakes area of the North Cascades this weekend. It sauntered through the lakes area then down into Grizzly Creek. We had seen fresh scat all through the Fisher Basin but were really shocked to see one so high up. There was one other group of people up there at the lakes who fell apparently forgot to close their bear canister and were hustling back from their day hike to get back to it. Lucky for them the bear dropped immediately down into Grizzly Creek. It was a windy day, so maybe it couldn't smell the food in the canister? On our descent back to Fisher Basin, we saw what we were pretty sure were bear tracks in the snowfield. I know bears are much more sure-footed than us humans, but it was pretty crazy to see it come up into such rugged terrain

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:04 pm 
Saw one today. Smooth Ridge trail in the Washington Blues, just north of McBain Spring. Rounded a bend and saw him/her maybe 20 yards ahead. We locked eyes for a moment, then s/he tucked tail and ran. Small blackie, so small I was worried there might be a mom around, but never saw or heard such. Might have been a small female. Always fun to see them.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 10:10 pm 
Heavy Bear presences can be felt up western side Pasayten! Some of those areas up there, either basins or creeksides, look you can just tell there's a heavy presence...

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 5:38 am 
Saw 2 bears both on the road into South Navarre TH on Friday and lots of sign off the road. Looks like some thinning out is in store.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 am 
Saw a mother and 2 cubs recently at a certain semi suburban trail within the confines of the seattle metro area. Cute! Also there were elk eating the grass at the maple valley taco bell.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 11:58 am 
I think my all time favorite bear encounter was when I took my father to the North Cascades. We had parked the truck and had gone out exploring. We were coming back to the truck when my father said "that's a big dog there." I replied, "Pop, that's not a dog, that's a bear." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 am 
RumiDude wrote:
my all time favorite bear encounter
My all- time was probably when I was doing this run in September 1987. I was rambling along at Whatcom Pass and suddenly came upon a large black bear who was stationed smack in the trail, gorging on blueberries. I wasn't about to bolt past this large unmoving object with sharp teeth and massive muscles, so after a couple of minutes of standing off I had to go around via a huckle-heather route. As I proceeded down into Little Beaver valley I came upon first one, then another and another pile of blue poo of increasing age. It was evident this bear had leisurely worked its way slowly up the trail getting fat for winter. Come to think of it that's not my favorite bear encounter, which is this. On a run with a friend on the Sourdough Mountain loop, we rounded a bend and suddenly came upon a mama bear with two cubs on the trail about 50 feet ahead. Since we were heading toward each other, we all (trio of bears and duo of runners) stopped and looked at each other. My friend was alarmed but I started talking to Mama: "Mrs. Bear, we would like to pass by, so would you please step aside?" She held her ground so we moved off the trail and went uphill about twenty yards off the trail. But Mama didn't pass but also went uphill with cubs right behind. So with the "threat" gone, we regained the trail and jogged along. But just around the bend we met the junction with the Pierce Mountain Way, the next portion of our route. Since it goes uphill and the bears had just gone uphill mere yards from the junction, we were heading right toward the bears again! But the story ends here, since we didn't meet or even see the ursus trio again. My friend told me " Wait 'til I tell my employee who is bear hunting this weekend that I was with the "bear whisperer" today!"

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
pcg

pcg
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm 
Here's a short video of a grizzly sow and two cubs my wife and I encountered in BC a little over a week ago. It was shot with a 300 mm lens so the bears were farther away than they appear. It's not great quality, but it's a decent depiction of a typical encounter I think. We were out in the middle of a large meadow when I spotted them (they were in a low area that hid them from view until we were about 150 yds away), and my first thought was there were no trees to climb and nowhere to hide from view. We were down wind, and the bears were slowly working there way across the meadow and angling closer to us. I didn't want to try to hide somewhere in case they grazed much closer and then discovered us at close range. So I made sure they saw us as soon as possible, while we were still far away and thus would hopefully appear less threatening to them. We slowly climbed up on a large boulder, they saw us, paid little attention, and we waited for an hour, until they had grazed past where we wanted to go, and we proceeded without incident. To me it is a luxury to roam across OR and WA and not have concerns for grizzly bears. On the other hand I love the wild lands of BC and experiences like this, but it's definitely a more stressful experience for me knowing there are grizzly bears around. I know some who hardly give it a second thought. https://vimeo.com/298877974

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm 
Hey pcg, That is a great encounter. It must get the adrenalin flowing to see those bears in the wild. Not surprising them sounds like a very good idea.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 pm 
I's up northeast olys up ridge south of dose crested into the meadows and there was one there it was probably only bout a boot sprint away luckily i could tell right off it wasn't grizz

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am 
Boundary Waters Canoe Area, northern MN wilderness, 1960's. Popular campsite on Lake Insula. There was a note warning that a bear was raiding the campsite, so my uncle followed all the routine precautions with extra care. All food packs (large canvas "Duluth packs" for canoe travel) were left open in the middle of a large bare rock slab, tarped over and covered with all of our empty cans and pots, so no bear could get at it without making a racket. No food in the tents of course. My uncle slept with his army .45 under his pillow. Of course, I had to take a crap in the middle of the night. After wishing it would simply go away for an hour or so, I padded back to the crapper in my shorts. Trying to relax upon the seat of ease, I got that feeling that I was being watched -- just like in the scary stories. Slowly, slowly, I turned around and suddenly flashed my light behind me. Two big, yellow eyes shone brightly at me, perhaps 6 feet away, at face level. To this day, it's the only flying squirrel I've ever seen. In the morning, we found the bear had cleaned us out. All the cans and pots had been silently carried to the one available grassy spot. Peanut butter jars, powdered milk envelopes, all cleaner than a dishwasher could get them. We had a couple cans of Spam for about 8 kids and 2 adults (remember when Spam was something you could eat?). Luckily, it was our last day, so no big deal.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
reststep

reststep
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:26 pm 
Not my story but thought I would post it here. Interesting bear encounter story on the Ptarmigan Traverse

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir