Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 pm 
around the mountain via 167 to 410 to 12 to 507 to 7 08/28/18 Haze got worse as the day progressed partly due to a fire near the Goat Rocks area. Spoke briefly with a couple PCT hikers at White Pass who were detoured due to the fire. Noticed several vehicle access roads to dispersed camping sites along the American River had been permanently closed due to abuse. There was a discussion thread on this subject a few years back HERE. Got some honey and Italian prunes and other goodies at Thompson's in Naches. Garbage scorecard: plastic bottles: 2 empty beer cans: 1 old t-shirts: 1 fish grillers: 1 baby blankets: 1 "Elmo" toddler booster chair: 1

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 pm 
seattlenativemike wrote:
braincloud wrote:
Thru-ran the Enchantments last weekend (28 July). Saw 137,364 people, 84 goats, 27 kid goats, a literal pack train going up Asgard, and no place to park. Small lingering snow patches in the upper basin and one metric f***-ton of mosquitos. Enjoy at your own peril.
perfectly summed up
I seek these days out on the 'Gaard!!! Look. Who won the pass? That's the question. As in who racked up the highest kill count going' up?? Get me on that hill amidst the hordes of south lake union types I'll EAT EM ALIVE!!!! No one outpaces ME on the 'Gaard!!!

Sennin

Sennin
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 am 
Went and did Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm on 8/24. No pics to share because it was ultra foggy. Wind was an issue the further up the trail climbed. Wind chill made my hand numb. I was pretty disappointed that visibility was only 20-30 feet. #LazyTR

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 11:49 am 
Better than being home!!!

Joe

Joe
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 pm 
Pratt Lake - 8/29/2018 Trip Stats: 11.8 miles with 2900 ft. gain (2300 ft. in, 600 ft. out)
Stream crossing
Stream crossing
Olallie Lake
Olallie Lake
Red Berries
Red Berries
View descending to Pratt Lake
View descending to Pratt Lake
Small tree blocking trail
Small tree blocking trail
Pratt Lake
Pratt Lake
Pratt-Lake-route
Pratt-Lake-route

Joe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 pm 
Got a fairly early start (8 a.m.), beat most of the crowd at Sunrise yesterday. My buddy wanted to do something up there before it closed for the year. Chilly, 38 degrees to start, but warmed up quickly. A bit of fog but decent views for the most part. The crowd arrived later. We went up Skyscraper Mtn. and back. Goats were hanging out on the slope below the peak.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am 
Scorpion Mt. What a wonderful hike. Scorpion Mt does not believe in switchbacks, but the trail for the most part is good tread, soft and fir-needle covered, so it's not hard. Very reasonable number of people on this Labor Day Sunday. The road is in fine shape the whole way; plenty of regular compact cars, even a Prius, at the TH.
The sad part was finding an injured (possibly paralyzed) little dog in the westbound lane of Hwy 2 between Index and Skykomish; people were just swerving around it and not stopping. frown.gif We stopped traffic, scooped it up and took it to the VCA emergency vet in Lynnwood (nothing closer was open Sunday evening. No tags). I wonder if someone dumped it.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm 
Scorpion Mountain is one of my favorite local hikes and we were thinking about doing it on Sunday, but guessed (incorrectly) that it might be too busy. Thanks for rescuing that poor little dog and taking it to the vet, I hope the outcome is a good one. up.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:46 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Scorpion Mountain is one of my favorite local hikes and we were thinking about doing it on Sunday, but guessed (incorrectly) that it might be too busy. Thanks for rescuing that poor little dog and taking it to the vet, I hope the outcome is a good one. up.gif
When we pulled up a little past 10 on Sunday I think we were the 6th car. When we left at 4 or so I think there were about a dozen cars, maybe 15 at most. So it's all relative, but I don't think that's too busy, for a beautiful holiday weekend anyway. No backpackers until we were halfway back, then we saw a party of 4 heading to June Lake, then near the trailhead there were a couple hunters (? armed and in camo) with packs. It looks like it would be an amazing fall hike, with all that vaccinium shrubbery. I think the Lost Dogs of Snohomish County FB group is close to figuring out whose dog it is. I would be very surprised if it survived; I believe it had been paralyzed. I hope it is either dosed up on pain meds or humanely euthanized if that were the right action; I'm just glad we came across it before it was hit again.

slave524

slave524
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 12:24 pm 
went on a great day hike up Church Mountain on Sunday. It was warm and sunny with a cool breeze and no biting or blood sucking insects! There were still wild flowers in bloom in the meadow along with a lot of delicious, ripe blueberries. Lots and lots of Butterflies and grass hoppers, Marmots, birds and Chipmunks. the views at the top were excellent!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm 
Beautiful pictures, slave524! You had the best of both seasons with wildflowers and ripe blueberries too! Somehow I have managed to not ever hike in the Enchantments despite having lived here my entire life. That changed yesterday when I joined my little brother on a hike to Colchuck Lake. We were celebrating his retirement from work after 30 years, and additionally, his recovery from plantar fasciitis which was also work related. Despite the shocking third world conditions (two different big piles of human poo and toilet paper just a few feet off the trail) rant.gif and a comical group of girls playing loud music who became completely lost in the first mile, we had a lovely day. There were a few groups of backpackers hiking out in the morning and some more coming in the afternoon, but not many dayhikers like us. Everyone we met was polite and friendly, just very happy to be out on such a gorgeous day. Although it was a bit hazy in Leavenworth, the air was clear and fresh on the way to the lake. I couldn’t decide which pictures I liked the best, so I’ll just share all of them. smile.gif
Colchuck Lake  9/5/18
Colchuck Lake 9/5/18
Colchuck Lake  9/5/18
Colchuck Lake 9/5/18
Colchuck Lake  9/5/18
Colchuck Lake 9/5/18
Colchuck Lake  9/5/18
Colchuck Lake 9/5/18
Colchuck Lake  9/5/18
Colchuck Lake 9/5/18
Colchuck Lake  9/5/18
Colchuck Lake 9/5/18
Colchuck Peak from Tarn  9/5/18
Colchuck Peak from Tarn 9/5/18
Enjoying the day with my little brother  9/5/18
Enjoying the day with my little brother 9/5/18

slave524

slave524
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 2:24 pm 
Wow! That area is gorgeous!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 8:10 pm 
Didn't bring the camera today, no pics. Went up Mt. Pugh. Happy to have no snow on the route, that makes it fairly spicy in a few places. Still kicked my butt. That trail is so audacious, every time I do it I still can't quite believe somebody built a trail up there. Haze is back. bawl.gif Not as bad as before but definitely there. A few flowers hanging on. Salal berries down low and a bit of thimbleberry higher. I can't quite believe it, but I think there is a fairly thick patch of sage just below Stujack Pass. Is that possible? I thought it was strictly east side of the state. The plant was smaller than what I've seen before, but the leaves looked right and it sure smelled like sage when I plucked a bit of it and rolled it between my fingers. Weird! Also more traffic up there than I expected, around a half a dozen. edited--got buzzed twice by I think a kestrel while I was on the summit, not sure what other very small raptor it could have been. Wasn't dive bombing me, just passing by. Also, on the way up a pine cone near fell on me. I stopped and turned around. About 5 more pine cones fell in rapid succession. I can't believe a squirrel could knock them down that quickly. Didn't hear or see anything moving around in the tree. Weird!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 10:17 pm 
Nice Nancyann, looks lovely as usual up there. Maybe another place completely overrun now. The lake is still gorgeous regardless of how many people are there.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 10:46 pm 
Thankfully, there were not very many people at Colchuck Lake on that particular day, Wednesday. The parking lots told a different story though. The Snow Lake lot was pretty full, and about 20 cars at our trailhead when we got back. Probably lots of backpackers using their lottery permits up in the core. Regarding Mt. Pugh, after reading Katinka’s trip report a few years ago, I decided that was one mountain that I would never need to visit. lol.gif