Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 pm 
I've really liked my stratospire. It would be great at half the weight.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 3:46 pm 
Yep, I like mine as well. And would love the weight saving, lack of stretch, hydrophobic properties, and ease-of-repair you get with DFC. Maybe not the cost... Upon digging a bit deeper, it does appear that they made the Li version a bit narrower.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:29 pm 
Keep your eyes out for used ones on Backpackinglight forums. They made a DCF Notch earlier in the year and I saw several go up for sale used from people who bought it as an impulse purchase. Wish I had that kind of cash!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am 
The Notch vs Notch LI is a 27 vs 20 ounces, at a cost of about $40 an ounce for the weight reduction. If I ever wear out my TT Contrail I'll have to check out a lighter new tent.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 7:30 pm 
Two years ago I sold my silnylon MLD DuoMid for a Cuben / DCF DuoMid. I'm not convinced it makes sense for the average hiker, even if they get out a lot like I do, to buy this fabric. It would be great for a thru-hike where weight is the most important consideration. Or an extended trip where weather could be an issue beyond what's forecast. I'm only holding onto it in case I get the chance to do another thru-hike. The weight savings are nice and when I've had it out in the rain it's great. It does not sag at all, bend in the wind, or absorb moisture. Downsides are the price (obviously), and a bit of bulk. It doesn't pack down as small as silnylon. Also pitching it can be trickier since it doesn't stretch. Still, if someone wants to trade a Stratospire Li for a DCF DuoMid (with matching bug net insert) I'm game!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 10:50 pm 
Opus wrote:
The weight savings are nice and when I've had it out in the rain it's great. It does not sag at all, bend in the wind, or absorb moisture.
Yes, good stuff. Do you use it every backpack or do you take others tents depending on the situation? Just wondering if you are tentative about using it every time given it's cost.
Opus wrote:
Downsides are the price (obviously), and a bit of bulk. It doesn't pack down as small as silnylon. Also pitching it can be trickier since it doesn't stretch.
I don't own one but have used one on a few occasions. The bulk doesn't bother me, but I did notice that the set-up is hard to attain a good tight and taunt pitch. I am thinking the designs of TarpTents might mitigate some of that fidgety pitch. But the real reason I don't have one myself is the price. I guess that should be motivation to get a part time job in my retirement. *bigfixedincomegrins* Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:46 pm 
I used it every trip last year, when I wasn't sharing a tent. And for the first half of this year. I picked up a Copper Spur solo tent on clearance and have been using that more often now. It does weigh more than the DuoMid and bug insert but setup is so dead simple I get camp setup quickly and relax. I would find myself fiddling with the mid too much for no particular reasons.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 pm 
I have lots of things Cuben and am learning to like it (nothing is perfect). I can't get past the fact that silnylon absorbs water, stretches and sags. The bad part: always during a storm when you need it the least! Also, I have a slight problem that cottage industry products have a higher fiddle factor. They seem to have a steep learning curve and guy lines everywhere to get right. I tend to be a gram weenie but like to keep it simple. If you want simple and easy in any situation, get a Big Agnes Slater +1 (if you can still find one). They only made them for one year (I think) and discontinued it because of the weight, 4 lbs!!! However, there are virtually no problems with blowing dirt or snow coming in. And the best part, a single pole with two hubs. That means lots of vertical room inside and a set-up so quick and easy it blows me away. I am still trying to resolve the issue of weight and currently will probably only take it out when nasty conditions are forecast. But my initial reaction is drop weight somewhere else and take the tent! My new philosophy; reduce food, water and wine and go for ease of setup and comfort.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 pm 
A-n-y tent with mesh in the canopy will let dust, sand and snow blow in. Ya need a solid canopy to keep that stuff out. Adds weight of course. For that amount of $$$, I'd get a Hilleberg. A tent which would outlive me.

Franco

Franco
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:36 pm 
"Also, I have a slight problem that cottage industry products have a higher fiddle factor. They seem to have a steep learning curve and guy lines everywhere to get right" This is the tent discussed here :
it does work better in rough weather with the apex guylines in place but so do most tents. no guylines required otherwise. franco@tarptent

Franco

Franco
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 pm 
BTW, the SideCar , the vestibule sized net tent, does fit inside the DCF version too. That would work for two adults (inside the std inner) plus a child or a dog (inside the SideCar) .
franco@tarptent

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 pm 
Looks like a nice and roomy tent. Maybe even an easy to set-up. But it has lots of mesh. That means it is a semi fair weather tent that you would not want to take out in blowing conditions. For example, read about dirt blowing in during Matt and Dicey's second day in Pyramid basin.

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
For that amount of $$$, I'd get a Hilleberg. A tent which would outlive me.
I have two (Akto and Niak). Both are miserably hot in anything but cold weather. These tents have virtually no ventilation. I had the end panels of the inner of the Akto replaced with mesh and voila, much better ventilation. Hilleberg will sell you a mesh liner for almost their entire line. They are great in the winter though! I'll give you that.

Franco

Franco
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm 
you can get it with either a mesh or a solid inner (some get both)
There are lots of photos, some video clips and detailed specs and diagrams on the product page, maybe worth taking a look : https://www.tarptent.com/product/stratospire-li/ (it is an integral pitch tent, so you can attach/remove the inner with the fly set up , or of course just leave it there) franco@tarptent