Forum Index > Trail Talk > inReach, SPOT, and PLB discussion continued ...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 pm 
hbb wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
However, I will add that if I mainly hiked solo into remote and obscure places, I might consider carrying one.
If you aren't carrying a Spot/PLB/InReach because you expect that other people will be around, then I suppose the logical follow-up question is whether if, offered help from someone carrying such a device, you would accept it.
Well, sure I'm not that stubborn and obtuse. The reality is that I don't hike enough these days to make carrying one a necessity.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Exmoor

Exmoor
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 pm 
I just noticed that the Garmin InReach SE+ is on sale at Costco.com for $229 for members. https://www.costco.com/Garmin-inReach-SE-Satellite-Communicator.product.100419295.html

hikerman77

hikerman77
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 7:38 am 
Very informative conversations. This started with the Sam Sayers Search. A thought on the PLB, SPOT and InReach, if Sam had any of these devices, would it have mattered? Most likely a fatal fall off the cliffs on Vesper Peak. A PLB in her pack would not of help as it would be in her pack. SPOT or InReach bread crumbs may or may not of helped as it depends on how the intervals would be set up, If the last bread crumbs say were at the summit of Vesper, the outcome would still be the same and Sam has not been found, My point is these devices are not cure all to be rescued if something goes terribly wrong, they might not help depending on the situation. Having the 10 essentials and necessary equipment goes a long way. Money is also a factor, when I first started hiking, backpacking and climbing I was making minimum wages and to buy the equipment as I had the money, The same could be true for new hikers. PLB, SPOT and InReach are a big expense to someone starting out and a personal decision for anyone.

DadFly

DadFly
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 8:08 am 
Spot can be set to check in at intervals regardless of the condition of the person. Breadcrumbs as you say. 10 minutes, 20, 30 whatever. If the spot is checking in from the same place it is pretty clear where the spot is. It will keep checking in until the batteries die or someone actively turns it off.

"May you live in interesting times"
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 8:18 am 
Hikerman77 wrote:
SPOT or InReach bread crumbs may or may not of helped as it depends on how the intervals would be set up, If the last bread crumbs say were at the summit of Vesper, the outcome would still be the same and Sam has not been found
It certainly would have helped. A breadcrumb trail that ended would have defined a likely point for a fall and a starting point for a search. All there was to work from were 3 scattered cell phone pings from a tower 30 miles away. Even the Google Maps location sharing App would have been more useful because it uses GPS location.

Damian

Damian
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 am 
It very likely would have helped. The inReach can be pinged even if not set in tracking mode.