Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rescue on Liberty Bell triggered by Spot beacon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 pm 
^ Yeah.. That was the proposed project. Some of the landing sites were right next to the Pacific Crest Trail, as I recall, and there was a great deal of opposition from the public - not just business owners in Leavenworth. FTR: The only time I can recall complaining about any helicopter flights was when a pilot in a small helicopter came racing down the river valley only about 200 feet above the treetops and scared the hell out of me. I shot a note up to PA to the Superintendent and my sentiments were conveyed to the pilot. They fly helicopters out of JBLM, sometimes four or five in a row - one behind the other, right over the Narrows here quite often. I'm kind of used to them here. The flight paths of the C-17s change, but every few weeks we have those roaring overhead as well. Living my entire life only about 12 miles away from an Air Force base (now JBLM), I've become somewhat accustomed to the racket. In the late 1950s they flew blimps right over our house. The Wilderness Areas and National Parks, however, are not the place for it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 pm 
Fighters in the High Sierra sometimes scare stock. Pretty cool to see fighters over Death Valley practicing supersonic dog fights from the Top Gun school. There was abuse in the past when choppers dropped tourists in the North Cascades.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm 
"A few years ago" I topped out on a climb in JT. Just had time to look up in time to see a fighter coming right at me upside down! He was actually about 500 ft above me but just about knocked me over. I was able to see the pilot as he went buy. No time to wave.......

"May you live in interesting times"
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 pm 
I was standing at the top of Cameron pass on Aug 6th when 5 fighters blasted over my head. 2 were the classic Blue Angle colors. In CA we would see many planes blasting through the canyons. We used to go to Donnells Reservoir a lot, had boats chained to trees, had a pretty cool campsite that we used year after year. One year we took about 10 people in, half of them women. One day while skinny dipping in the lake we got buzzed real close, close enough that we could see the pilots and they could see the naked women...they both did a hard turn and came back for a second look. We waved. Hippies are not shy about nudity.
NikonHiker wrote:
The proposal wasn't for landing troops. It was for designating specific areas in which helicopter crews could locally train to operate at higher altitudes instead of going to other parts of the country. As I recall it didn't seem to matter how much that was pointed out, the idea that infantry dudes would somehow be the next nefarious step just stuck.
I seem to remember a story in the 90's about a helo dropping off a bunch of boy scouts from Kansas (or the like) on a remote ridge top near the Boston Glacier. Naturally they got all screwed up and had to be rescued. The arrogance of ignorance in full action. Stuff like this makes people really gun shy about letting anyone do anything similar. Just like people oppose all thinning of the forests because the past generations of loggers (up until the 90's) would cut everything right to the waters edge if given even a slight crack in the defenses. So now every attempt at thinning, no matter how prudent, gets met with suspicion and scorn. Thank the preceding generations for sowing the seeds of deception. Just because the military says they will only being doing rescue practice doesn't mean they are telling the truth. So folks say no F'n way are we going to give them an inch just so they can take a mile. Fool me once...etc That is the payoff for being dishonest, no one will ever trust them again.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:47 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Just because the military says they will only being doing rescue practice doesn't mean they are telling the truth. So folks say no F'n way are we going to give them an inch just so they can take a mile. Fool me once...etc
What did the Army lie to you about to leave you predisposed to believing that they are being dishonest? Also you're making my point. They aren't proposing 'rescue practice'. They're proposing high altitude training for other purposes.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:03 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
I seem to remember a story in the 90's about a helo dropping off a bunch of boy scouts from Kansas (or the like) on a remote ridge top near the Boston Glacier. Naturally they got all screwed up and had to be rescued. The arrogance of ignorance in full action.
I remember that, Tony Reese legally dropped them off on patented land The mass of adults and kids were stuck, but a couple of the more adept got out and made it to the ranger station and called up Tony. So not really a rescue.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 pm 
NikonHiker wrote:
What did the Army lie to you about to leave you predisposed to believing that they are being dishonest?
VN?