Forum Index > Trail Talk > I have some questions about volunteering for SAR, can anyone help?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm 
This episode about the woman lost near Vesper Peak has really got me thinking about all those times I've tripped and caught myself in exposed terrain, or turned an ankle but "not that bad", or everything else. All the near misses that turned out okay. I was thinking maybe I should volunteer with a search and rescue organization as a way to give back some of my love of these mountains. I see there are many of them (KCSAR, SMR, Pacific Trackers, etc). I don't climb and I have no medical skills. I'd like to help in a way that gets me out hiking, off-trail is fine, not in a car doing a radio relay or something. Like searching for a missing person. Which organization should I look into?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 2:18 pm 
Where do you live?

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 4:17 pm 
If you are in King County, it sounds like your best bet would be King County Explorer Search & Rescue (www.kcesar.org). While this was originally a youth-based SAR group, it is now about 80% adult. This is the primary ground SAR outfit in King County, and doesn't require that you be able to climb. Basic outdoor, SAR, and medical skills are taught as part of basic training. That said, training for this year has already started, and is waitlisted. So you would in all likelihood have to wait until next year. But you can check out the website to get an idea of what KCESAR does, and you can take a look at what the training schedule looks like so you can plan for next year. Another option (if you aren't a 4x4 type, as you say) would be to get started first with the IST (Incident Support Team) unit. (www.kcist.org) IST does in-base support, including communications (radio) and paperwork. While this may not be an exact fit with your desire to get out there with your boots on the ground, you could potentially get started with IST much sooner. Then you would gain a better understanding of SAR, which could be an asset if you then started KCESAR training next year. Here's the big thing to keep in mind: SAR around here isn't just those few bigs mission that you hear about in the news. It's also a lot of little, even routine, missions that you don't hear about. A dozen twisted ankles, dementia walkaways in town, people who come down off the Mt Si haystack the wrong way and get cliffed out. But each of these is really important for the individuals involved. While you wouldn't be obligated to participate in every mission by any stretch of the imagination, being in SAR can still be a serious commitment.

PierceSAR
Pierce County SAR

PierceSAR
Pierce County SAR
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 6:37 pm 
As N47 nicely described, it sounds like one of the Explorer Search & Rescue units is what you're looking for. Check out this link for WESAR (Washington Explorer Search and Rescue) to find your county and check on the training season schedule. http://www.wesar.net/units/units.html There are a few counties kicking off their recruiting and training seasons now. Will go ahead and plug ourselves in Pierce County. We have about a half a dozen orientations over the next month, starting tomorrow. Please swing by one to learn more about the requirements for volunteering. Check out orientation dates here: https://pcesar.org/calendar

Pierce County Explorer Search & Rescue