Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Bdzzle wrote:
cambajamba wrote:
1) Play with expensive, noisy toy that is emblematic of a lot of the problem users and issues that plague our recreational spaces. 2) Seek validation by posting dreary drone video on forum popular with older curmudgeons. 3) Fail to gain approval or validation from ersatz father figures. 4) "You have no right to _________!" Nice, this is going extremely well.
Oh its totally fine with me that some people don't like it, thats ok. And i don't need approval. I am very polite when i fly and try to go to places where no one is close by and even have waited around for people to leave as i know it annoys some people. My comment about "no right to privacy" is not even about drones really. To me its public land that we all pay for if you want to listen to loud music or fly dones...etc thats ok. I can either hike faster or go somewhere else cause i have no right to tell them how to spend their time outdoors.
I appreciate your politeness, Bdazzle. My point is others will not behave such a way. Therefore, there are regulations in place against loud music, and other behaviors, in various public lands. It's not really OK to be abnoxiously loud or trash a place out of personal selfishness etc. None of which you are doing. I am just referencing your point about freedom to do whatever. You know that is not true. That is the foundation of civil society. All the comparisons from others are really nonsensical. The cars on I90 aren't going to start flying and follow me at tree level onto the quiet side of the ridge. Nor does aircraft have the maneuverability to disrupt a wild place for long. I don't like any of those things, really, either. And, there are regs and guidlines pertaining to all that too. FAA flight guidelines over wilderness for example. Vehicles are limited to roads and trails that are fixed and I know I can steer clear of. And the parabolic increase in use and overcrowding concerns me in a huge way. Ecosystems and wlidness aren't here solely for our benefit. I do see where I stand, though. So, I am not going to defend every disparate comparison. In a minority here for sure. But in no way is "my way' the right or wrong way to enjoy the natural world. Nor am I professing such. I just draw the line on these machines because it is going to become a wave of potential madness, as they get cheaper, that we'll all regret. If they were banned someplace, and Bdazzle had a financial stake at risk, then special use commercial permits would likely be available for permitted flying for a legit purpose. (My assumption). Reputable news outlets like PBS Newshour are already using them in storylines on the environment.
I didn't mean to fully point the finger at you saying you think your way is the only way but some people are like that and its probably the same annoying level as you have with drones haha I agree with what you say about the civil society but i don't come from a belief that it should be overly mandated by the government. My hopefully attempt at being polite in nature with what i do comes from a love for nature that it is more my job and not the government to take care of it and that is where my statement of no right to privacy on public land comes from. I do appreciate your explanation of your stance and i do respect it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 7:59 am 
I like that video. Very interesting to watch. I can see using drones up in areas where nobody is at for just a few minutes, that would not bother me at all. But if that thing is flying up and down Mailbox Peak buzzing people, then that would probably make people angry...

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 10:55 am 
Drone footage is starting to get old. It is way overused and on its own is uninteresting. I think of it like the Gopro footage that has become way too cliche. I predict it will become less powerful visually in the next couple years. They are expensive and essentially a one trick pony. Or I could be completely wrong about the public's tolerance for it. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
iron

iron
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am 
my neighbor has a drone. flies it at dinnertime some nights during the summer. i hate that thing and see no point in it. what a waste of money and time.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 1:46 pm 
Ha, ha, OK I'll take a drone encounter over a gun encounter. Most video footage, whether from drone, GoPro or whatever, is indeed not that interesting. But the music that sometimes accompanies said footage is way worse. When I do watch footage, after a few seconds, I mute the sound. Then I usually get bored and never finish the whole video (unless it's real short). shakehead.gif

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 2:20 pm 
Bdzzle wrote:
Cause you would do what exactly?
Be irritated, I'd imagine.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 2:33 pm 
Based on the footage, it appears have all been shot outside the Alpine Lakes Wilderness boundary. So not illegal by that measure. Unlike the scofflaws that I encountered at Snow Lake recently with a large commercial grade drone shooting footage they intended to sell of Snow Lake and Chair Peak. https://www.perfectjammer.com/drone-signal-jammers.html

neek

neek
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 3:35 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
Hopefully soon, drones will be silent and many of the issues people have with them will disappear.
That's when I start having issues. Silent drones...more autonomous, with greater range and swarming capabilities; smaller, equipped with hyperzoom cameras, facial recognition and miniature poison darts... The technology is there; the pieces just need to be put into place. (Yes, I'm joking. Kind of. Maybe. Not really.) Maybe they can be trained to seek out poo-bag leavers and illegal fire starters. Anyway, yeah, most drone videos are boring, but I like watching them from time to time to see how the technology is evolving. It's come a long way in a fairly short time period.

JoshK

JoshK
PostFri Sep 07, 2018 12:17 am 
"drone footage sucks" Well, it's no different than helicopter footage really, which it's quickly replacing in many circumstances. It's just another tool, you can make amazing photos and video from it given the skilled operator, just like any other camera. And then there are the rest of us with cameras/drones/whatever who are just having fun. Now first person gopro footage... That is nearly always garbage.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 3:56 pm 
Personal Drone toys are a microscopic blip on a radar of what is really up high in the sky these days...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Based on the footage, it appears have all been shot outside the Alpine Lakes Wilderness boundary. So not illegal by that measure. Unlike the scofflaws that I encountered at Snow Lake recently with a large commercial grade drone shooting footage they intended to sell of Snow Lake and Chair Peak. https://www.perfectjammer.com/drone-signal-jammers.html
It's being a scofflaw to use a jammer which is not FCC approved, *or* physically damage an airborne drone and take it down. The FAA or FCC has jurisdiction depending on the case, not scofflaws taking the law into their own hands smile.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers