Forum Index > Trail Talk > Flower Dome is toast
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:17 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
I've compared that with what is showing on Inciweb and can find zero mention of a fire in that area.
Inciweb only shows the larger fires that are being "formally" fought. I know of three fires on the north side of MRNP that have never made it to Inciweb. Or any place else, for that matter, except for the MRNP website. Mt. Rainier Wildland Fire Info Some friends were on the Tatoosh ridge a few weeks ago and said they could see flames to their southeast. That may have been the fire on the Cowlitz divide. Or another one, which I never found mention of anywhere. In terms of actual numbers of fires (regardless of size), it seems information for most of them never makes it to Inciweb.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm 
Thank you for your post Aurorabucky. Yea, seeing the tourching even during the day was something. At night it was scary.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 pm 
Ski wrote:
As to the complaints about current fire management: You have two choices, you can either (A) cut it down, or (B) watch it burn (or blow over, if you're closer to the Pacific coast.) Pick one.
Cut it. It's gone in either case, but if you cut it you can at least realize economic benefit from it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
gb

gb
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:29 pm 
Ski wrote:
So far you've presented as "evidence" of your argument a paper where a few guys went up into British Columbia and took core samples out of a few lakebeds, and your "evidence" stops about 3500 years BP. Ergo: you're looking at a very small portion of historic events. These fires occurring presently aren't any bigger than anything that's happened before,
3500 years is not historic. And there would be little data t support that position. Show me a lower 48 forest fire west coast larger than 497,000 acres (Mendocino) that occurred historically. We both know that Native American fires were prehistoric and once started they had no way to stop them.

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 pm 
Wastral wrote:
Where are all of the thermometers? Nearly all in cities.
Yes. And on buoys throughout the oceans.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 pm 
Can you guys please take your obnoxious OT discussion to an appropriate thread in stewardship?

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:34 pm 
That is East Coast and please let me know on the technology that was used to fight it.
thunderhead wrote:
Quote:
These fires occurring presently aren't any bigger than anything that's happened before
Indeed. In fact, judging from the charcoal records and historical accounts from before fire supression, modern fire activity is significantly less than pre industrial fires. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire Year 1871. A million acres and some 2000 dead! Modern fires are childs play by comparison. Not only that but fire scars = blueberries and deer.

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:34 pm 
That is East Coast and please let me know on the technology that was used to fight it.
thunderhead wrote:
Quote:
These fires occurring presently aren't any bigger than anything that's happened before
Indeed. In fact, judging from the charcoal records and historical accounts from before fire supression, modern fire activity is significantly less than pre industrial fires. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire Year 1871. A million acres and some 2000 dead! Modern fires are childs play by comparison. Not only that but fire scars = blueberries and deer.