Forum Index > Trail Talk > High Buck Hunt Sept. 15-25. Get out your Safety Orange.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 pm 
Nothing new. When my parents moved to Laramie, WY in the fall of 1947, they had planned to go hunting. They changed their minds after asking an acquaintance if he'd had any luck with the previous weekend's hunting. The acquaintance replied, "No, but I got in several good rustle shots." One thing about high buck season, the target is limited to bucks with a certain number of antler branches, so those hunters have to be careful of what they're shooting at--no does or spike bucks. I'd still wear blaze orange, though.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Athena12345

Athena12345
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
WA has the worst drivers I've ever seen
Oh no no no no no. Not even close. lol.gif Some of the worst traffic, sure. But the worst drivers? No way. Let's start with Miami. Have you been to Miami?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 pm 
Boston eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 pm 
Ive been to a lot of places and seattle definitely has the weakest drivers. Not surprisingly portland or is second worst On the subject of hunting, any hunter who fires at a target they cant identify should be shot themselves. Spoken as a hunter. Theres just no excuse for that bs.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 10:24 pm 
Allstate's 2018 America's Best Drivers Report ranked by frequency of accidents. Seattle ranks #179 of 200 (* meaning: most people around here don't have a goddam clue out on the highway. *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:36 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
WA has the worst drivers I've ever seen and the worst hunters.Some of them shoot at anything that moves.
I think you are quite misinformed about worst hunters and the shooting at anything that moves is over exaggerated.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 8:51 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
There are a few bad apples in every crowd
These bad apples can kill you.
True. And the same can be said for driving. I still drive, and I still hike. Would I be in favor of reducing the risk associated with those bad apples? Absolutely! In both cases...

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 am 
What would you suggest doing to reduce the risk

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am 
Day-glow orange caps, for starters. I have a safety-orange vest that weighs little, can be wrapped around my pack. Any bright clothing. I suspend my habit of slinking about as silently and inconspicuously as possible. I scored bigtime at the Mother of All Garage Sales, getting perhaps $1000 full-price retail of perfectly fitting high tech outdoor clothing -- mostly black -- just before the Sauk Mtn. tragedy -- so here I am, dressed like a bear. Bear season starts Aug 1, I think. Oops. I mean no aspersion on hunters (used to myself). Maybe one meets only the competent ones in the backcountry. As in the rest of life, it's the 0.1% that worries me. Remember, the drive home is the most dangerous part. You'd better spot the drunk.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Athena12345

Athena12345
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:34 am 
Ski wrote:
Allstate's 2018 America's Best Drivers Report ranked by frequency of accidents. Seattle ranks #179 of 200 (* meaning: most people around here don't have a goddam clue out on the highway. *)
That's one report from one insurance agency, Allstate. The report says it's based on all claims, but it includes data from their "safe driving" program, which will result in misleading information. This company offers a discount if you voluntarily participate in a GPS-based, app-based program that gathers information about your driving habits. They compare data collected from different participants around the country. Of course the people participating are the safest drivers, though, right? Why would a bad driver sign up for that program? Anyhoo. . . If you look for data on where car insurance is the most expensive (which for me is a great clue to figuring out where driving carries the most risk), Seattle never makes the top 10. One ranking is this: 1. Detroit 2. New Orleans 3. Hialeah (near Miami) 4. Miami 5. Baton Rouge 6. NYC 7. LA 8. Philadelphia I can tell you that, from my perspective, the drivers of south Florida are the worst I've ever encountered. The whole area is pancake-flat, with generously-spaced lanes, roads that run parallel and perpendicular to each other, ample stop lights and signs, and great visibility when there's no thunderstorm. Under these fabulous conditions, drivers plow into each other, flip over, crash into trees, etc. I was unable to drive there for one day without passing at least one horrific accident. Additionally, drivers not only do not use turn signals but do not look before changing lanes. If a driver wants to do something, he/she just does it and assumes that everyone else will make way. Additionally, drivers throw fast food bags and other garbage right out their windows while driving down nice, well-trafficked streets in the suburbs. I just haven't seen these behaviors on this scale in Seattle AT ALL. Traffic in the Puget Sound area is terrible, I will admit, and the volume of cars on the road is nuts, which certainly leads to a lot of accidents, but people here are WAAAAAYYYY more civilized. Yes, I think it's a cultural thing.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 am 
This is probably a better comparison. Scroll to the bottom to apply your own weightings. https://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/which-states-have-the-worst-drivers/

Athena12345

Athena12345
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am 
So Montana is #1. I lived in Montana for almost a year, and I can say that I could drive for TWO hours and see ONE other car. But I suppose if that one car you encounter is being driven by a lawless 20-year-old driving 120 mph, you would definitely say that you just saw the worst driver on the planet.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:57 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Boston eek.gif
Never saw hunters anywhere near town. As for the drivers, having driven quite extensively both there and here I'd say the skill level is a good deal higher than here but for sure it's every driver for themselves out there.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:58 pm 
And as always thanks for the OP - these threads often ramble off in various directions but it's great to stay aware of when this part of the hunting seasons comes along!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm 
joker wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Boston eek.gif
Never saw hunters anywhere near town. As for the drivers, having driven quite extensively both there and here I'd say the skill level is a good deal higher than here but for sure it's every driver for themselves out there.
Snipe hunters are always around, especially freshmen near Harvard square wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn