Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for hikes or other cool outdoor activities near Phoenix
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 10:37 am 
My wife and I may be driving from Pullman to Phoenix just after Thanksgiving, staying there for 10 days or so (house-sitting for friends), then driving back to Seattle. Are there any great day hikes or other awesome activities people can recommend on the way down/back or while in Phoenix? I know there are many sites with incredible geology, like the Grand canyon, Bryce canyon, Zion, etc. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 11:46 am 
I don't know about Phoenix, but there are many desert hikes not far from Tucson and hiking guidebooks. I would just look for a Phoenix and/or Tucson hiking guide. I would think many birds would winter in that area. https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&ei=KzCMW6LdGv6S0PEP6t-imAk&q=hiking+guide+phoenix+book&oq=hiking+guide+phoenix+book&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30.18056.19461..19948...0.0..0.92.432.5......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i22i30.Z4EwVbMd2CU

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 1:09 pm 
Here's a nicely detailed old school map of the state to glance over. When I go to Trip Reports and do a Search for Phoenix, I get two pages of reports. Some are not even Arizona, but a lot are. You can scroll through these and see where other NWHikers have explored. Lots to look at there. ~z

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 1:31 pm 
I went on a few trails north of Mesa while visiting a friend a few years ago. This one was pretty cool. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/lost-goldmine-trail

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 pm 
Thanks for the great suggestions!

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 pm 
Don't know much about Phx, but I grew up in Tucson so I know a bunch of hikes around there. Here are a few that come to mind: Picacho Pk. - short, panoramic views, & some sketchy exposed sections to keep you awake (parts with cables to climb up). This is off of I-10, 40 mi. north of Tucson. Ragged Top - It looks like how the name suggests...rugged & rocky. No trail, just XC & scrambling but nothing too difficult & nothing technical....@ least if you come @ it via the prominent gully on the north side. North & west of Tucson (& almost due west of Marana). Hardly anyone goes there. Pusch Pk. (west end of Santa Catalina Mtn. range)- There's a trail coming up from the north side. Though parts of the yr this area is closed for bighorn sheep lambing season so check on that 1st. Table Mtn. (access via Pima Canyon). Follow Pima Canyon up a ways, then it's XC from there...this is kinda long & rugged & takes some routefinding for the best way up. Again, check to see if the area is closed that time of yr. Safford Pk., Wasson Pk., Golden Gate Mtn. (Tucson Mtns., west of Tucson). Mt. Wrightson (longish hike, south of Tucson in the Santa Rita Mtns.). Mt. Kimball (longish hike in the Catalina Mtns.). If you're looking for something mellow w/shade, the Marshall Gulch area of Summerhaven (high in the Catalina Mtns.) is always nice. Unfortunately it's not as nice as it once was, before the Aspen Fire ripped thru there in 2003. Sabino Canyon is nice, tho pretty touristy. There's lots more of course, but those are a few to consider. Good luck & have fun! smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 10:22 pm 
My mother used to live there so I usually got in a hike while visiting. The Flat Iron / Siphon Draw trail in the Superstitions is by far the best one I did in the area. The rock formations on the upper part of the route are amazing. I wouldn't do that one on a hot day though. Closer to Phoenix both South Mountain Park and the White Tanks have a lot of trails on them and you can design your own loop. I particularly liked a Hidden Valley loop that included Fat Man's Pass on South Mountain.
Fat Man's Pass
Fat Man's Pass

markweth

markweth
PostWed Sep 05, 2018 11:04 am 
There are some great hikes in the Supersitions. Heading up towards Weaver's Needles is a good one. The Mazatzl Wilderness is supposed to have some great hikes as well. El Dorado Hot Springs, about an hour west in Tonopah, is a funky hot spring "resort" that is worth a visit. Definitely do some reading up online before you go so your expectations are in line with reality. I stayed there for a night after a backpacking trip in the Superstitions and thought it was a great place with really, really good water to soak in.

mb

mb
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:22 pm 
Southern Utah is spectacular. Zion, Bryce are almost en route. Heck coming from the N you could go to Capital Reef NP then southwest along UT 12 to Bryce and maybe detour to Zion. Or just towards Capital Reef, 12 itself is a spectacular drive and there's good hikes in the Escalante. Get the AAA "Indian Country" map which won't have much in terms of hiking per se but is a really good overview/road/roadside places map. Great Basin NP in Nevada is also almost en route if you go the shorter Nevada route. Real question is how long to take and if you want to camp en route (dispersed car camping is often easy; just don't forget lots of water and food) . Also some places will be cold in November. Great Basin NP is pretty high elevation; Zion NP is relatively low.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:38 pm 
You're going to Phoenix looking for cool hikes?