Forum Index > Trip Reports > Carru (Pasayten), 9/2-9/3
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 6:43 pm 
Was hoping to spend the long Labor day weekend knocking off a few weeks, but sadly I needed to work some hours Saturday which altered my plans. Decided to head for the Pasayten with Neil. The two of us met at the Mazama store at 6:00pm Saturday and headed up to Slate Pass. We camped at the pass that evening enjoying a nice sunset.
Sunset at Slate Peak
Sunset at Slate Peak
We slept in a bit and didn't get moving down the trail until 9:30.
Slate Pass views
Slate Pass views
The goal was to head for Lake Doris and climb something in the vacinity. We took our time on the way taking breaks and sipping whiskey.
Meadows
Meadows
Freds Lake
Freds Lake
Heading up to Freds Pass
Heading up to Freds Pass
Osceola, Carru, & Lago
Osceola, Carru, & Lago
Reached the lake at 3:00, and discussed our options. Our plan was to get Carru that night, and get Osceola on the way out the next day.
Blackcap & Monument
Blackcap & Monument
Unfortunately we had a heck of a time finding the trail that leads to Shellrock Pass. Time was becoming a mild issue, so we decided to head due north for Osceola instead. 5 minutes later the trail appeared at our feet. I really wanted Carru, so I managed to convince Neil a sunset summit would be worth the effort. Settling on a 7:30 turnaround we took the path to 6,100 ft before heading up steep forest. The rest of the route follows the ridge on loose boulders and talus. Reached the summit just as the sun began to set at 7:20.
Sunset on Carru
Sunset on Carru
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
Neil near the summit
Neil near the summit
Blackcap
Blackcap
Sunset over Blackcap
Sunset over Blackcap
Headed down in the dark reaching camp just after 10. The weather had socked on overnight, and neither of us felt like scrambling in the rain, so we headed back to our cars and good food at The Old Schoolhouse. Another great weekend in the mountains. 32 miles w/ 7500 gained

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am 
What a place to watch the sunset, love the views up there up.gif is the peanut butter jar register holding up?

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 12:53 pm 
That's a lot of miles for one summit. Good job. I still need to get up in the Pasayten area and knock off some of those peaks up there.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.