Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Lore: Anybody ever helped you out in the Mountains?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 am 
My first trip with a digital camera. I didn't know what a battery hog it was (Canon A series; uses AA batts). My NiCad batteries were dead after 2 days. I met a lady named Mindy on the PCT near Dishpan Gap. Can't hurt to ask... she gave me 2 AA batteries! Then I got one of my favorite snapshots -- not a great pic, but high sentimental value (Rainbow Bridge) -- how often do you see a rainbow below you? A treasured gift from a stranger.
After we get separated, Al, let's meet down there at that washed-out bridge on the White River under the rainbow... then we'll go up Lightning Creek, and Thunder Basin, and anyplace else we want to go...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 11:45 am 
About 25, or more, years ago I was going to do a loop hike in the 7 Devils Wilderness, above the Snake River on the Idaho Side. I was going to hit some side trails to lakes and spend 4-5 nights. I was almost to my first nights camp and realized I had forgotten a sleeping pad of any sort. A young woman had packed up, and was hiking out and passed me on the trail. She was friendly looking so I took a chance and blurted out "Hey, you wouldn't want to sell your sleeping pad, would you?" She responded "no, why do you ask?" I explained my situation and, after a moment, she graciously loaned me hers. I promised profusely to ship it back to her, clean and in good shape, and wrote down her address. I can't remember where she was from, Wenatchee? Leavenworth? Chelan? Anyway, I did send it back to her after my trip and I always wondered if she received it and was surprised that anyone had actually followed through on a commitment like that. Anyway, her kindness and generosity saved me from a few uncomfortable nights! I wish I could have thanked her in person, because that was actually a big favor she did did for me.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm 
Good stories everybody! Thanks for sharing. This one is a little off subject and out of the mountains, but once upon a time I helped a semi hauling milk get unstuck. It was on I-90 between Cle Elum and E burg, around 3 am. A dual tank milk hauling semi was pulled over on the shoulder, so I stopped to see what the problem was. A big hose had come loose from somewhere on the rig, and got stuck between two of the rear tires. The hose was firmly wedged up between the tires, so the driver had to pull over. We tried pulling on the loose end of the hose to get it out; no dice. We tried pouring some water in between the tires, and then used my ice axe to try to pry it out. No dice. Then I had an idea. We extended the loose end of the hose out sideways from the rig, perpendicular to it. Then, I drove my car (a little mazda) onto the shoulder next to the truck, and parked it with my back wheels both on the end of the hose. Now all we had to do was drive the semi forward, and the hose will pop out! Right? The driver warned me that anything could happen, like the hose popping out and smashing the side of my car, or worse. "You sure you want to try this?" he said. Of course I did! So he got into the cab and drove slowly forward, and the hose popped right out from between the tires, doing no further damage to anything. So we shook hands and went our separate ways. He went to deliver the milk, and I went on to get fired from my sweet summer job with the Forest Service. He told me to look him up if I was ever in Moses Lake, and he would buy me lunch. I never made it to Moses Lake, but I will always remember that milk truck stuck on the side of I-90 at 3 am.