Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Hood hiker fatality - cougar attack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm 
Missing Gresham Hiker Found Dead Hiker's pack was found on the Hunchback Trail. Body was found 300 feet below the pack on a steep section of the trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 pm 
:-( RIP.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 pm 
The lesson learned here, and I think it cannot be repeated too many times, is this hiker didn't leave a detailed plan with anyone before she started her hike. Consequently, as near as I can tell, it was about a week before anyone reported her missing, when she failed to make a meeting. And a lesson for me personally: If I ever find an unattended pack on a trail, I'm going to (safely) look real hard for its owner. Then leave the pack where I found it. But report it when I get back.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:02 pm 
Killed by a cougar!? Crazy. Not sure anyone would have been in a position to save her by the time she didn't report in. Whats with the cougar attacks this summer? Statistical fluke? Compounded by increasing human presence in cougar territory? More cougars lately?

pcg

pcg
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:19 pm 
More cougars. More people in cougar territory. Not enough education about how to act when approached by a cougar. Many have been predicting this would eventually happen and warnings had been sounded. http://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Wildlife-Officials-Warn-of-Cougar-Attacks-in-Oregon-483382661.html This will provoke a lot of debate on how to manage the population going forward. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/cougar I'm guessing this was a young male that was roaming and hungry for lack of establishing his own territory. We'll know soon as this one will be tracked down and killed shortly. Last I heard the state has already killed over 70 cougars (can't recall where I read this and have been unable to verify the number) this year - those that were deemed a "problem" because they were venturing into populated areas and showed little fear of people. Of course, no one will ever know the exact circumstances. Did she stoop down to tie her shoe? Was she being stalked and ran? At any rate, I expect the local sales of bear spray to see a bump and perhaps not as many solo hikers on the trails for awhile. Tragic and sad.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 5:26 pm 
I posted this and then saw this thread so I deleted my post. Anyway, this is a tragic event for this woman. Cougar attacks on humans are so rare. Yet when they do attack they are very ferocious. RIP, Diana Bober! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 pm 
Yep more cougars. The cougars can be densely centered in certain locales and it causes these famished ones

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:30 pm 
Tragic deal for sure. frown.gif
Allison Morrow, reporting for KING5 news wrote:
At issue for conservationists is cougar behavior, and how cougars react when too many adults are killed at one time. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologists spent a decade studying cougars to learn more about cat dynamics. Led by WDFW biologist Gary Koehler, the team learned that cougars regulate their own population size, as one male cougar protects a home range of 150 square miles. If too many adults are killed, however, the research showed that juveniles are thrown into social chos, increasing conflict between cougars, humans and livestock. "A decade or more of scientific studies show that killing too many cougars leads to social chaos. Loss of a resident cougar opens up a territory. Two or three younger cats will typically move in. They'll compete for the territory until only one remains. During this period, the chance for interactions with people, pets, and livestock increases," said Bob McCoy, who's on the Board of Directors for the Mountain Lion Foundation.
Cougar kills man, injures another near North Bend - Tacoma News Tribune May 19, 2018 ( nwhikers discussion thread here ) I am becoming more convinced with each of these incidents that the conclusions of the WDFW study and McCoy's statements are correct. Perhaps it's time to consider a total moratorium on cougar hunting. Olympic National Park hosts a relatively healthy population of cougar, and I do not recall off the top of my head any instances of humans being attacked by cougar up there. I could well be mistaken.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 pm 
From sources I have read, Oregon has over 6400 cougars yet here in Washington, the population is estimated to be about 1900 to 2100. My question is, why such a huge difference? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:55 pm 
Id guess oregon outlawed hunting with dogs before wa or allows less hunting? Maybe friendlier climate in southern OR with less snowy winters?

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 am 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 am 
Gillian Flaccus, reporting for the Seattle Times regarding the fatal cougar attack near North Bend in May 2018 wrote:
It was the first fatal attack in Washington state in 94 years.
Ski, in a previous post wrote:
Olympic National Park hosts a relatively healthy population of cougar, and I do not recall off the top of my head any instances of humans being attacked by cougar up there. I could well be mistaken.
2018 - 94 = 1924 My guess was correct. Only incident recalled "off the top of the head" was a dog that was attacked and killed near Kalaloch in 1993. (pers. comm. PD/ONP 09/12/18)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am 
Ski, how does this theory fit with the Victoria Island situation?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 am 
you got me. what's the "Victoria Island situation" ??

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 10:44 am 
Ski wrote:
you got me. what's the "Victoria Island situation" ??
Possibly referring to this? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8026740