Forum Index > Trail Talk > Kendall Katwalk fatality
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 1:01 pm 
Jimmybob's KimaTV link has a map showing where the 911 call happened and where the recovery was made. The fall occurred on the Commonwealth Basin (west) side of Kendall Ridge below Kendall Peak. So not on the Katwalk at all. As Yana mentions, an embedded video shows the section of trail where she fell. At that point, the PCT is cut into the side of a steep rocky slope. Lots of steep rocky terrain below the trail. There are no fall zones on trails, and this was one of them. I tripped and fell off a trail once. This trail traversed a steep slope for about a half mile. Some of the terrain below the trail was benign, some was just like the rocky terrain where this hiker fell. Fortunately I fell in one of the benign areas. Otherwise, it would have ended badly. It really can happen to anyone. It's why they call events like these accidents.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 3:25 pm 
Its a very long fall to the bottom if you slip here. 
Kendall Katwalk WA 11/15/14
Its a very long fall to the bottom if you slip here. Kendall Katwalk WA 11/15/14
Looking back at the icy edgy section that always creeps me out.  Kendall Katwalk WA 11/15/14
Looking back at the icy edgy section that always creeps me out. Kendall Katwalk WA 11/15/14
Icy shot of that stretch, but you get the idea. Under that ice is a rocky rubbly tread. I always breathed a sigh of relief to be off that section, even with hiking poles, especially with my ankle which would collapse for no reason, especially as I got into my 60's. Definitely just a tragic accident for her, that could have happened to anyone on the sketchy section.

friluftsliv
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Sep 06, 2018 4:57 pm 
Joseph wrote:
this doesn't sound like it would happen in the katwalk proper - which is pretty wide, unless you were peering over the edge and lost your balance or something. I'm trying to remember what its like leading up the katwalk - pretty sure there's some sketchy areas that could present a problem.
Yes, it was before the actual Katwalk. I passed her and her friend as they were coming across the Katwalk proper. We exchanged greetings and they continued walking by me while I stopped to take a picture. I waited for them to be completely out of view and off the Katwalk before taking this pic...

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am 
Oh that's awful. Thank you for clarifying.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 10:17 am 
Yana wrote:
Joseph wrote:
this doesn't sound like it would happen in the katwalk proper - which is pretty wide, unless you were peering over the edge and lost your balance or something. I'm trying to remember what its like leading up the katwalk - pretty sure there's some sketchy areas that could present a problem.
I don't know where this happened, but there have been previous missions for people (and, in at least one case, a dog) falling from the much sketchier portion before the trail wraps around to the Katwalk side. It's much narrower, the footing's not as solid (though it is still the PCT), and to a casual eye does not appear nearly as deadly (it is). There's actually a pretty good photo of it and the runout in the article JimmyBob posted above. But again, I don't know that that's where this particular hiker fell, just speculation based on prior incidents.
There are sketchy sections of the trail after the Katwalk - like some parts of the Chikamin traverse from above Spectacle Lake on way to Sno pass. I found this out a year ago - some sections that were rubbly and quite steep - if you lost your footing could present a big problem. We also didn't expect the lack of water on the traverse.

hikerskierbruce

hikerskierbruce
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 1:46 pm 
I was on the trail that day and passed the deceased hiker's friends on the way up and down. Yana is exactly right: the place where she fell doesn't look especially scary because it's a long slope rather than a precipitous drop like the actual Katwalk. It's covered with plants more than rocks. Also the trail there is pretty flat and not especially narrow. But the dropoff is very steep, probably too steep for most of us to self-arrest, especially if you get some speed before you realize what's happening, and a long way down before trees would stop you. And while a fall is unlikely, everyone falls occasionally in unlikely places. It's so sad. I have no idea what exactly caused this woman to fall. But my takeaway is to be more aware of places where a fall, however unlikely, would likely lead to a bad outcome. My condolences to her friends and family.

gb

gb
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 5:22 pm 
I believe this was an Olympia woman who just retired from Clatsop CC as a nursing professor. Her name was Laurie Choate and she was a member of the Mountaineers and took the Naturalist's course this year.

nordique

nordique
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 5:36 pm 
Thanks, Gary, for this information. We didn't hear about this fatality until dinner time, when we remembered that a group of our friends were hiking the Katwalk that day. As they descended, they encountered several hikers beside the trail who were very upset. Very sad situation.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:28 pm 
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 1:03 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/remembering-mountaineer-laurie-choate
Thanks RH for posting that. She sounded like a marvelous lady. It is so nice to read great things about people around us.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 pm 
I am pretty sure I have met her more than once. I never knew her name, but upon seeing her the photographs of her I am sure of it. RIP, Laurie! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 7:38 am 
Thank you for sharing the link, RandyHiker. Laurie sounds like a wonderful person, someone the Mountaineers and the outdoor community was lucky to have. Her fall was surely a terrible thing to witness. May her hiking partners find peace. RIP, Laurie.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 am 
Very sad. She looks joyous in those hiking pics. RIP Laurie. Vibes to her hiking partners, family and friends.