Forum Index > Trail Talk > N Fork Skykomish Conditions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 10:48 am 
Anyone been along this trail recent? I know the road is closed below and I've heard the lower part has seen recent maintenance. Any beta would be appreciated, especially the upper part.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 4:46 pm 
Call Skykomksh tomorrow. If the front desk does not know (but they are pretty good there), ask to speak to JR. The avalanche debris from Vimy Ridge that wiped out the trail was cleared by WTA and others, and the trail re reouted a little. It's quite a sight to see. (but I think you have been there since then?) To avoid a road walk (I think the road is too steep for me to ride, but you can do it), consider going in via Sloan Creek trail which quickly gets you to Curry Gap and down to the N Fk Sky trailhead. The drive is a bigger investment of time for you though... I am jealous. N Fk is without question, the most beautiful old growth forest on the planet. You can disagree, bit you would be wrong. Hoser.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Damian

Damian
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:39 pm 
Thanks Kim. I spoke with those folks a few weeks back and was told the N Fk Sky was recently cleared (after years of neglect), but only to a point, and not all the way to DP Gap. so I'm wonderin if the remaining untouched section is an issue. BTW- your proposed shortcut involves driving practically to Canada, hiking an extra bunch of miles and still ending up a mile from the TH. I'm smarter than you think. moon.gif Edit: Ok it puts at the current trailhead, not the old one you got to by driving the (closed) road. You win.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:53 pm 
Hm. "years of neglect" would only be since the road washed out before Blanca, and it was regularly patrolled and maintained up til then. There aren't tons of trees to block the trail from just before the avalanche location and Dishpan. The lower portion always has more downed trees and they got ' em out, as you said. There may be several, maybe even tens, but I wouldn't think it would be a deal breaker one-after-the-other pain in the ass it could be (and has been, boy howdy!). But then again, you're old and feeble, and not as limber as you once we're, so getting over, under, and around downed trees may be too much. You should go. up.gif My idea is a good one, dork! huh.gif That's a multi-mile road walk from Rd 65 to the trail head! Ugh! Ptooey!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:57 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
am jealous. N Fk is without question, the most beautiful old growth forest on the planet. You can disagree, bit you would be wrong. Hoser.
Really? I'm actually being serious. Sounds like a trail I should explore. I'm now trying to figure out which trails I would consider to be the best old growth and there are sections o really like, and many I don't remember enough... but come to think of it there's only a couple short sections. ( Big Beaver and the grove, think called Don's (or Dawn's) up Suiattle..... You got me thinking now Kim,.......Thanks!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 pm 
Depends on your idea of old growth. Dawn's Grove (named for Dawn Erickson, then the USFS trail boss who flagged the route and found the trees) are humongous, Good Lord. But the surrounding forest is recovering from a burn. Which is natural, so it's nice to see, if a bit boring. To me, old growth is more than big trees (the Scrappy, scraggly Pacific yew can be 300 or more years old but no bigger around than your wrist) Sorry for type-o's I hate typing on a phone What I love about NFk is the open spaces, the wet areas full of birds, the Alaska yellow-cedar (to me, when I smell the sharp, odd, fragrance (some might not like it, and call it an odor), I feel I am in a primeval landscape). N fk sky is stunning! I also enjoy Pass Creek and Quartz Creek trails. And Damian should go to N Fk Sky and report back to us.I hope he does.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 pm 
Kim wrote:
N Fk is without question, the most beautiful old growth forest on the planet. You can disagree, bit you would be wrong.
Ha! Says you! Okay, I've never been there, but I can assure you there are some other pretty fabulous "old growth" forests out there that would blow your socks right off! I can think of at least a few right off the top of my head! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:16 pm 
You have old growth on top of your head? Cool. up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 pm 
it's turning white! yeah... damn old! you said so yourself! hockeygrin.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm 
Wait. Damina has the road opened? I think they said 2018 but I haven't heard that it has been repaired. You dog if you know something!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm 
Ok, then I need to check out the sky.... Yes, I know that Dawn's grove is just (well not just) a section surrounded by much younger trees. Really glad it didn't get burned. For that matter, it's nice the trail goes through there. A lot of the Suiattle burned.... still it's nice in areas. You guys are too funny !!!!!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 pm 
Oh, I forgot. Which Quartz are you referring to Kim? If it's the one off Taylor, yes, there is some nice old growth....though a rope is useful....

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 9:02 pm 
I walked up to the parking lot for the three trails in early August and it looks like some horse people have been trying to keep all three trails somewhat useable. I walked a couple of miles further up Quartz Creek and although there was a bit of devil’s club encroaching, it wasn’t too bad up until that point. It’s kind of eerie seeing the parking lot so empty, and the legendary mosquitos were almost non-existent, probably due to lack of humans.

Julia

Julia
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 7:05 am 
I went up Quartz Creek, over Bald Eagle & down N Fork Skykomish a couple weeks ago. Billions of berries. Quartz Creek is super overgrown & brushy enough that it's hard to find footing in some short sections, but few downed trees. Bald Eagle Mtn seemed fairly well maintained. N. Fork Skykomish had approximately 20 downed trees in the upper section before we ran into the two rangers who were working on clearing trail. I think only 2 of the downed trees were difficult at all to get over/by, and truly not very difficult. Beautiful trails, absolute solitude--I didn't see anyone except the 2 forest service employees in the 2 days I was out there. The road walk sucks, though. huh.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 am 
Why are road walks so maligned? The point is to walk out in the woods, right? You're on a fast, excellent surface (as long as no fools have "de-commissined" the road by turning it into a lousy squiggly trail with a backhoe). Your eyes are free to roam, since you don'thave to watch your feet as much. It's quiet, no traffic, and less people than usual, because everybody knows the road is washed-out so you can't go there.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.