Forum Index > Trail Talk > favorite tips and tricks? (gear,clothing ,food..)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:32 pm 
Simple drying rack for water bladders: bent coated-wire hanger

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
steppinrazor

steppinrazor
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 1:23 pm 
- Aged gouda (available for a reasonable price from Trader Joe's) can stand a week or more of hot temperature and still be good. It also won't get all oily like a softer cheese - Use bright colored boot laces for your side tent tie downs. That way you won't trip on them and you always have spares. - A contractor (thick) garbage bag with a few cuts for shoulder straps and some duct tape make s a great pack cover. And you can use it as a tent vestibule pad. Once it gets a little ragged or a hole in it, start another, because it costs virtually nothing. - Seal your Green Trails maps with overlapping layers of clear plastic tape. Makes them waterproof AND they will last longer. - Disposable flip-flops (like they use at nail spas) are a ultralight camp shoe alternative.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 pm 
After reading through this thread, I just had the idea of maybe painting my bear can with glow-in-the-dark paint. It could act as a decent nightlight and would save battery power on the flashlights. I couldn't really think of any other item I have in my kit that could benefit from being glow-in-the-dark. The downside is that paint could rub/wear off while in the pack or around camp. I really like wetsuit gloves as my winter glove. Same with wetsuit boots for wading in lakes or rivers. The downside is they tend to have a softer bottom and rocks hurt. Aqua sox are tougher and make great campsite shoes.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
kawi_200

kawi_200
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 7:13 pm 
Another one, everyone knows that chocolates and candies make great calories for the trails.... If you are one of the people who brings candy with you, wait until after a holiday like Halloween, then the candies will be marked very cheap. If you can wait a couple days pikcings will be slim but you can get a bag for 60% off or more.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 1:44 am 
Couple of pairs of cheap cotton work gloves. One for hiking to keep bug spray, sunscreen, sweat, bugs off hands. Other one for cooking/camp...keeps hands clean RE: firewood, moving rocks, etc. Tom

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 7:10 am 
next time you are at a box store, go to the garden department and get a knee pad for $5. they are for kneeling on while doing yard work. they only weigh a few ounces but have a lot of uses. I keep it up against the back of my pack so it adds stiffness and prevents anything from poking me in the back. makes a good chair or knee pad while setting up a tent or cooking. Good for fanning a fire or swatting skeeters. put in a stuff sack with your clothes and you have a much less lumpy pillow. probably more uses... This website is a backpacker's second best friend http://www.minimus.biz/ (Packitgourmet.com is the first) Packitgourmet ground beef, plus taco seasoning, plus tortillas = trail burritos. Like olive oil, Parmesan cheese packs (from minimus) add calories and flavor to any meal, and last forever. Jack links makes the best individually wrapped shelf stable sausage sticks.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Mar 11, 2015 2:08 pm 
Bungee cord comes in various diameters. There is a super thin one that's smaller than a bee bee that I use to tie around my socks while drying on the outside of my pack. Tie a knot around each sock and its self tensioning so not so worried about leaving socks along the trail. Then slip the socks under straps and tie the end of the leash to the strap. The bungee cord is very light and can be multi use. Example used on space blankets needed to block one end of the tarp. The bungee cord allows the space blanket to flex, but continues to apply even tension which means its much less likely to rip or flap around noisily. The only place that I have ever found that stocks this cord is the Mountain Shop in Portland. If you look around you might find it elsewhere or online.

Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 6:46 am 
Great thread!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 pm 
Tick removal when you don't have a special tool for the job: Have a tick buried in someone’s skin (hopefully not yours)? Make a lasso slipknot out of dental floss, tighten it around the tick’s head, and slowly pull the little bugger out. From: Mazamas

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 12:40 pm 
I just learned a nice weather trick on CalTopo.com If you bring up a map of an area, you can right click on any point on the map, select "Point info", then choose "NOAA Forecast" to get an interpolated forecast for that point.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 pm 
And, one more from Mazamas.org: "When you buy a pair of boots, it makes a lot of sense to make sure the fit is exactly right. Most stores will allow you to return them if they have not been worn on the street. A good way to check for a great fit (and break them in a bit if you decide to keep them) is to wear them on a treadmill at home or your local gym. The best process is to put on the socks you are going to wear with them, and for about 15 minutes keep the treadmill flat. Then gradually increase the angle of the treadmill - which will very quickly tell you a lot about the fit in the heel! Throwing on a pack with some sandbags in it is further refinement. If they fit, keep them. If you think you can do better, show no remorse. Take them back. No gym membership? Most gyms have a one day trial or guest pass."

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am 
Sewing up my ripped out pants with dental floss and a toothpick..