Forum Index > Trail Talk > Results of Survey on Sexual Harassment and Assault in Climbing
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
radka

radka
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 7:46 pm 
This is a follow-up thread on the survey that I posted here this past spring. Thank you all who participated in the survey. In order to increase awareness of this serious issue (1 in 2 women and 1 in 6 men experience some form of sexual harassment and assault in climbing) and inspire actions that lead to safer environments for all genders, outside AND online (including NWHikers), I am posting results of this survey here. You can find the results, an overview of the #SafeOutside initiative, and links to articles covering this issue on the American Alpine Club website here. Link to the report on the same website and also here.

The future is yard birds
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm 
thanks radka!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Sep 16, 2018 7:55 am 
Thanks for posting that, it presents some facts that are disturbing. As an older white male, I'm in a category that isn't at high risk, but I've never observed the behaviours the study covers on my trips. I hope I'm not one of those that "don’t recognize SHSA when it happens" (page 11). One practical takeaway for me were guidelines on page 13 about how to respond ... Bystander Intervention As an individual, when you see someone being harassed or assaulted, you should intervene if it is safe for you to do so. Taking action may feel uncomfortable, but it is important. Below are the 4Ds of bystander intervention based on the research of Drs. Victoria L. Banyard, Elizabethe G. Plante, and Mary M. Moynihan (2005) and A. Berkowitz (2002), and Ann L. Coker, Patricia Cook-Craig, Corrine Williams, Bonnie S. Fisher, Emily Clear, Lisandra Garcia, and Lea Hegge: Direct: If it’s safe to do so, step in directly to intervene whether by speaking out or by giving social cues (e.g. if you see someone harassing another person, saying “that is not cool” or giving a disapproving look is better than silence). Distract: Distract the perpetrator and remove victim from area. Delegate: See something sketchy? Talk to someone who has more social or functional power than you do and ask them step in. Delay: Check in with the victim of the incident after it has occurred to see if you can do anything to help them. Such as “Hey, are you OK? Can I do anything?” After intervening, report to officials or authorities, if appropriate. Don’t assume victims will do so.

grannypanties

grannypanties
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am 
Bystander Intervention.... Good tips for anytime you feel uncomfortable by overly aggressive behavior or comments.

radka

radka
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 8:50 am 
Today may be a good day to return to this topic. I’d really like to see #safeoutside extended to #safeonline. NWHikers have a long way to go as evidenced by past posts - when issues of SHSA are brought up here, messengers are attacked. Just heard the acronym DARVO - Deny the behavior, Attack the individual doing the confronting, and Reverse the roles of Victim and Offender. This has played out on this forum as well and is a known tactic. We all have work to do. Grateful for those who are willing to engage in it.

The future is yard birds
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am 
Willing and ready!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:34 am 
In logically defensible arguments, being 'attacked'...is called critique. You're not free of the need to make valid arguments and defend them on a valid basis, no matter how lofty your goals. You're not 'unsafe' because someone disagrees with arguments.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:59 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
In logically defensible arguments, being 'attacked'...is called critique. You're not free of the need to make valid arguments and defend them on a valid basis, no matter how lofty your goals. You're not 'unsafe' because someone disagrees with arguments.
And this has ... what, exactly, to do with the topic of this thread?

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 11:04 am 
As a reminder we do not allow politics here. I presume "good day" was in reference to the Supreme Court nomination hearings. Time to lock this one unless i'm missing something.