Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Sam’sAunt48001

Sam’sAunt48001
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:44 pm 
WOW!!!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cambajamba

cambajamba
Max77 wrote:
Athena12345 wrote:
This issue is, of course, interweaving itself into the other issues, such as grief, fascination with mysteries, fascination with lost women, the relative importance of a lost young white woman vs. other lost people, etc.
I understand your point, but there is such a thing as unbiased strangers who truly care with no other motives or whats mentioned above. I can’t believe what this tragedy has created.
Dude, paying attention to only the pretty white girl because she's the only one that popped up on your FB is an illustration of the biases we're discussing. These biases can be internal, or "happen to you" due to the culture you tend to associate with. No one is calling anyone racist or anything, we're just saying that it's pretty well established fact that this bias exists and impacts the real world in real ways. Which we can see playing out here. Anne - thanks, that was a needed response. We have been discussing the impact of social media and culture at large on this search and its members - the faith angle AND the dead white girl angle are both legit topics of discussion.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
slabbyd

slabbyd
JonnyQuest wrote:
And when / if Sam is found, will "they" have the same outpouring for the inevitable disappearance of others? I'm guessing not.
I would be extremely careful of what you wish for. Seems like "Sams Army" could easily become a millennial version of the "Jon Francis" foundation. A FB army of no-nothings constantly raising a stream of donations for Commander Kevin Dares and Deputy Field Leader Bud Carr. Every time someone, or maybe just young ladies, goes missing a frontal assault of harassing phone calls will go out to local SAR units and Sheriffs offices. While the dynamic duo swoops in, always raising more cash for their essential Forward Operating Base Headquarters as they recruit more high quality search crews with highway billboards. All along Beyonce will be wondering WTF keeps cluttering up her twitter feed?! Dear lord, honestly I give that a solid 50% chance of happening.

Max77

Max77
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:45 pm 
Athena12345 wrote:
Yes, agreed. First and foremost, the original, actual SAR responders would fall into the category you mention of "unbiased strangers who truly care" and (I would add) who can exercise sound judgment.
Like I said, I can’t believe what this tragedy has created.

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm 
Tom wrote:
Some of you seem to have lost perspective.
Tom, I don't envy you. But I think you're doing a good job, allowing opinions to be expressed while maintaining some semblance of order. Crazy topic, provocating many points of view. Thanks Tom.

Max77

Max77
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
Dude, paying attention to only the pretty white girl because she's the only one that popped up on your FB is an illustration of the biases we're discussing. These biases can be internal, or "happen to you" due to the culture you tend to associate with. No one is calling anyone racist or anything, we're just saying that it's pretty well established fact that this bias exists and impacts the real world in real ways. Which we can see playing out here.
Sorry. I don’t agree. Not playing out here. Plus Im not a dude. So how much do you know.

monkeypuzzled

monkeypuzzled
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm 
Looks ilke they've set up camp. https://www.facebook.com/groups/194935701378932/

“Hunters will tell you that a moose is a wily and ferocious forest creature. Nonsense. A moose is a cow drawn by a three-year-old.” --Bill Bryson
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:09 pm 
Max77 wrote:
Also I doubt they are going to trash the mountain.
I would disagree with this statement. The very plan they've spelled out is going to have a lasting effect on the area up there and it is unnecessary to perform a search. Seasoned mountaineers would not need a heated, hunting style cabin tent with a wood stove to stay up there for any length of time. There's no reasonable source of wood at that elevation for a stove so they could only be looking at heather and small alpine firs as a fuel source. If it's truly a Base, then there are probably people stationed there that won't be in the field searching. They could just as easily do the same job, perhaps more effectively, from the road with a radio. A pit toilet. This is in the Sultan Basin watershed, unlike Gothic Basin where one is finally going to be installed to handle the sudden influx of crowds. The watershed managers are normally very protective of this area and it is actually illegal to land a boat on the North Shore of Spada Lake and in Williamson Creek, which has been done countless times for this operation. Again, it is standard practice in these areas to pack out human waste and required in many areas of the North Cascades. This area is half within the Morning Star Natural Resource Conservation Area - basically the most protected area category for the State. In developing the plans for this area it was even considered to ban the public for a few years in Gothic Basin to let the area recover. I imagine this may come up in the future now for Vesper Peak. A tent platform, especially if it's leveled out in dirt up in the alpine, will be visible for decades or more. The area is snow free only 2 months of the year and it takes forever for a plant to establish. SAR has an operation a couple of times a week in Snohomish County. Imagine the impact if they executed every search in this manner.

monkeypuzzled

monkeypuzzled
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 pm 
From the pictures just posted on FB the terrain is being damaged by tents already. Just the fact that they keep referring to the vegetation as "grass" just shows how little they know about this environment.

“Hunters will tell you that a moose is a wily and ferocious forest creature. Nonsense. A moose is a cow drawn by a three-year-old.” --Bill Bryson
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 pm 
monkeypuzzled wrote:
Looks ilke they've set up camp.
shakehead.gif unbelievable. This is in the Morning Star NRCA

iron

iron
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 pm 
are the local ranger stations still silent on this?

XrayGal

XrayGal
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:20 pm 
I noticed they took down all the photos of the “crew” with the fireball bottles and vodka bottles. Still one photo of someone with a beer can laying on the ground. Could you imagine the wrath of the army if SAR was up there drinking and posting photos of it?

EJ

EJ
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:21 pm 
Schroder wrote:
monkeypuzzled wrote:
Looks ilke they've set up camp.
shakehead.gif unbelievable. This is in the Morning Star NRCA
So incredibly sad. They set their tents up on heather. So much for their plan of not impacting the environment (not that I believed that.) frown.gif

Schroder

Schroder
Anne Elk wrote:
No one reported seeing her heading off toward the ridge connecting Vesper w/Sperry. A hiker with her level of experience and on her expected timeline wouldn't likely attempt that side trip.
Not true. For someone into dramatic cliffside selfies, the Vesper-Sperry ridge is exactly the place to go and is not much out of the way to get back down to the lake.

pula58

pula58
You can see from their facebook photos that they are indeed trashing the place. Hanging-out on and setting-up camp on heather..that'll take a few decades to grow back. They have appear to have no clue about leave no trace. They are, from what I have seen, the kind of backwoodsmen who bring saws, cut off limbs, make fire pits, trample (read: destroy) the flora, etc. I have done what I can, called the forest service and DRN about this, again. I guess that's about it. Maybe we should do a gofundme for next summer, to repair the damage...I think I'm kidding. I cannot believe the forest service DNR allowed this. Why should the public have to sacrifice the place for one person...maybe if there was a chance that she was alive....but who could survive for 48 days up there?