Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dehydrated hamburger meals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Meadow18

Meadow18
PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am 
Hello - we bought a dehydrator (Excalibur 9 tray) several years ago after getting tired of crappy food while we were backpacking. Very glad we did. We have days where we meal prep all day, label and bag everything, freeze it. It's nice before a trip to grab what you need and go. It's also packs light-ish. We have found hamburger does really well dehydrated. We have done unstuffed peppers, beef and broccoli, taco seasoned hamburger for burritos. Does anyone have a beef recipe they like and would share? Also, any dehydrated meals that are your "go to" on the trail? Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:51 pm 
a few of my recipes here also check out Sarbar's website: trailcooking.com up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Meadow18

Meadow18
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 5:22 am 
Ski, thank you so much! We need to add some new meals to our rotation. This is perfect.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am 
If you have questions you can address them here to Sarbar - be patient waiting for answers - she's got a lot on her plate (other than this website.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Meadow18

Meadow18
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 am 
Sounds good - thank you

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
Meadow18 - There is a great resource here in the "Food & Grub" forum - use the "Search" function at the top and look for "dehydrator" (or "dehydrating") - select the "Food & Grub" forum from the drop-down menu - and you'll find a number of other threads from other members which include tips and some recipes. Of course, as the resident "Trail Cooking Diva" here, Sarbar is always my first recommendation, as her website is jammed with all kinds of help tips and recipes. A couple basics: Ground meat works better than whole cuts (even if you dice the meat up really fine.) Leaner meat is going to result in a longer "shelf life" for your dehydrated meals. Dehydrating "concentrates" the saltiness of foods. (I have stopped adding any salt to anything I intend to dehydrate.) Chicken seems to be troublesome, although there are members who've had good results with a couple brands of pre-packaged "freeze dried" chicken. Always put the dehydrator out on the back porch when dehydrating delicious slices of Walla Walla sweet onions. wink.gif

bkellygr

bkellygr
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 9:35 am 
PackItGourmet is my favorite place to get meals for my trips. They make a all-american burger wrap that you should be able to recreate since you're using hamburger. I usually get it once a summer for backpacking trips. Just sharing since you asked for ideas. https://www.packitgourmet.com/All-American-Works-Burger.html Thanks

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:54 pm 
Someday all the repairs to Trailcookign will be done. Pinky swear rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif Let's say I come in last around here for tech support. dizzy.gif However! I did put a list of recipes that are on the blog to at least have something to offer..... http://blog.trailcooking.com/recipes/ Darn farm keeps me busy these days.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm 
I'll add....using dried hamburger is great in many recipes. A few tablespoons worth per person is all you need. Great in rice! You can also pack it with dried veggies, rehydrate and then mix that in with pasta and most other dishes. For a totally bad for you meals...take that and mix it with queso dip. Serve over rice. With chips. Oink.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
nickmtn

nickmtn
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 am 
I've found that adding a few tablespoons of finely ground breadcrumbs really helps the ground beef rehydrate. Just add it while you are browning the meat.