Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 pm 
mike wrote:
Ptarmigan Ridge has minimal gain but a couple of rough spots at about 2mi in which were hard on my wife's knees. Easy access means lots of people though. Was really crowded Tuesday.
Hubby did this one long ago but I have not so another great idea. You all rock with your ideas. Glad I asked the question!

Hiking for health.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 pm 
I'm a 'little older' as I turn 75 in November and my hike yesterday was my 86th so far this year. My right knee was replaced in 2008 and my right ankle in 2014. Both of those joints now have far less flexion than before replacement. My hikes so far this year only add up to 436 miles, with 110,690 feet of vertical gain. I also climb three days a week at Vertical World in Seattle, which is also a problem for my right ankle. I try to hike and climb three days a week, hiking and climbing, in hopes of retaining the ability to get out there as often as I do, with a big group of senior citizens (in my hiking group) and much younger people (in my climbing group). I no longer do the longer and steeper hikes of my younger days. A seven mile hike with 2000 feet of elevation gain is at the upper end of what I can do, on two ibuprofen, but that's enough to take me to some incredible vistas: https://flic.kr/s/aHskESHUYv Hang in there and get out as much as you can, for as long as you can! And, as I point out to people, my seven right leg surgeries had nothing to do with hiking. My first surgery was in Vietnam, in 1968, on the first day of the Tet Offensive. I was very lucky to avoid amputation!

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 10:21 pm 
If you don't mind the drive, the PCT north from Harts Pass to Windy Pass. "If you've got aching knees but still crave some mountain air, this is the hike for you" according to WTA. It was my first hike back after a knee injury last year and it was perfect. (For next year though. Currently most of this stretch of the PCT is still closed due to the Holman Fire.)

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 8:40 am 
My solution was to move to Central Oregon, where there are many more options for creaky knee hikes for my aging knees and fused ankle. Of course the price you pay is the views are not quite as spectacular. I do miss the North Cascade vistas. Average hike in Western WA, 3-4k elevation gain on a rock filled trail, mileage 10-15 miles to get to the good stuff. Average hike in Central OR, 1-2k elevation gain(or less) on a dusty smooth trail with a few bits of lava to step over. 5-10 miles to get to the good stuff. But the state is full. Don't even think of moving here. wink.gif
Tumalo Mtn, Bend OR 9/12/18
Tumalo Mtn, Bend OR 9/12/18

friluftsliv
creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 8:58 am 
boot up wrote:
But the state is full. Don't even think of moving her
Lol....While hubby could retire, he loves his job! And although Oregon is a lovely state I am holding out for Tahiti, Fiji, or Bora Bora....these knees will need some heat In retirement!😉

Hiking for health.
creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
For next year though. Currently most of this stretch of the PCT is still closed due to the Holman Fire.)
This has been a problem for some of the hikes we had in mind. These last two years of fires put a crimp into the hike list.

Hiking for health.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 am 
Ski wrote:
Farther south: - Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge.
up.gif This is a very good area to wander with knees that like to complain. Almost no elevation gain/loss and as many miles of trail to explore in an afternoon as you might want.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 7:06 am 
boot up wrote:
But the state is full. Don't even think of moving here. wink.gif
...implied Governor Tom McCall many years ago. lol.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 am 
creakykneehiker wrote:
Looking for some suggestions for those of us who are a little older and still hike, but need some gentler slopes nowadays.
I have one knee that's starting to complain a bit, and I've found that warming it up (plenty of no weight movement - slowly, or even a few minutes in the hot tub) before hiking or climbing helps tremendously.

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am 
We spent the weekend camped down at the Bumping River (loads of free camping this time of year, plus some established campgrounds.) On Sunday we did the Bumping Lake trail, about 7 miles, some ups and downs but nothing terrible. I am dealing with two knee injuries on my left knee and though I had to slow down on some parts I never felt unsafe. Also, our 13 year old chiweenie did it with energy to spare (he had already done 4 rougher miles on Saturday at Robinson Canyon.) Some trip reports call Bumping Lake boring, but it's a lovely forest walk-colors are good right now. We didn't see any other people all morning. There are longer options too-I think you can go all the way to the PCT.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
mike

mike
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 12:01 pm 
wakerobin wrote:
reports call Bumping Lake boring,
Twin Sisters Lakes are far from boring IMHO

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member

creakykneehiker
Creaky knees member
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 9:57 pm 
We camped at Bumping Lake years ago and all I remember is a burn ban and no campfires allowed...but the restaurant at the otherside of the lake was pretty good.😊

Hiking for health.
hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 pm 
An important item to consider is your equipment. I was in a similar place being 72 and thinking I'd have to give it up and stick to city parks. Then I got serious about my equipment I got my pack weight for 1-2 nite trips down to 20-25 lbs and threw away the hiking shoes for trail runners and started using hiking poles...a new start on my hiking! Feel better at the end of a day than 30 years ago...do it! I'm a physician and I don't think I've ever heard a person complain about a knee replacement or hip replacement. Rather most regret they waited so long. So If you've been considering one...don't put it off too long. Also, Twin lakes and surrounding areas are great...but Little Twin Sister is the more interesting one and everyone heads to Big twin sister. The hike from Chinook Pass south and then around the peak back to tipsoo lake is very nice.