Forum Index > Trip Reports > Carme Basin and some of the high route 9/19-20/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 am 
Our trip to Bootjack Mt. and Highchair followed by an overnight at Cradle Lake got canceled twice in the past two weeks. First by dense smoke and this time after Leafguy told us he knew for sure there would be big horse camps in the Jack Creek/Meadow Creek area and probably horses at Cradle. So Wildernessed and Steve cooked up the idea of camping in Carne Basin up Phelps Creek and summitting Icebox as a side trip. I agreed to go as far as the basin and evaluate the Icebox option at that point.
Starting out
Starting out
Heading up with Buck on left
Heading up with Buck on left
Fall colors
Fall colors
HitTheTrail in front of Wildernessed
HitTheTrail in front of Wildernessed
Some smoke in the valley east of Buck
Some smoke in the valley east of Buck
Maud and 7 Finger Jack from the eastg
Maud and 7 Finger Jack from the eastg
Carne Mt.
Carne Mt.
Carne basin from the north rim
Carne basin from the north rim
After setting up camp I opted to explore around the basin and let them do the high route and Icebox. It turns out they stopped just short of the summit for a number of valid reasons but had a great hike anyway. When Wildernessed came back to camp alone and I asked where Steve was he goes ‘oh Steve decided to extend his hike on down the ridge toward Old Gibb’. He is a hiking fool when it comes to checking out historic sites. No larch color yet but a good trip. Thanks to Steve for driving that road.
Breakfast coffee
Breakfast coffee
clouds coming in
clouds coming in
Rainbow over Trinity
Rainbow over Trinity
Off season
Off season
Wildernessed has moved on to shooting video now but I am sure he will add some eye candy taken along the high route. Conditions: - The road up Phelps Creek is bad but we did see a prius there. - The area did not seem busy at all. - A small fire that may have been a controlled burn was putting out a little smoke. - Saw a few vehicles at the Little Giant TH.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 am 
Nice. This is the best season to be up there, if you don't mind a random snowstorm.

Julia

Julia
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
- The road up Phelps Creek is bad but we did see a prius there.
Is this true? Or are you kidding? I almost lost my Jeep at the bottom of one of those dusty ruts! Maybe I need a Prius! lol.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
popzeus

popzeus
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 pm 
Every time I drive up that road, I thank God I have a high clearance 4x4 truck and every damn time there is a Prius in the parking lot. lol.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 pm 
up.gif Good trip the colors were so beautiful going in and out I drove my wife back up there this morning looping in from Four corners and back out via Plain stopped at Old Mill Cafe for lunch.

Living in the Anthropocene
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm 
popzeus wrote:
Every time I drive up that road, I thank God I have a high clearance 4x4 truck and every damn time there is a Prius in the parking lot. lol.gif
It is also possible that there is just one Prius that got stuck there permanently in the parking lot and cannot leave smile.gif I drove there a couple of times in my corolla and I don't wish to drive there again. i think this road should become a trail.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 7:04 pm 
kitya wrote:
i think this road should become a trail.
Be Careful what you wish for. I would bet that the TH will soon be relocated down at the Chiwawa road. But, that should relieve some of the pressure on Spyder Meadows.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 8:54 pm 
Well you can just pick up a Prius and carry it over the rough spots.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 pm 
GTM - Holden Stats : 10.6 mi, 5600' r/t
Carne Mountain Meandering.
Carne Mountain Meandering.
Good trip with the 509 crew, basecamp in Carne basin, great colors and weather, after setting up camp Steve and I headed for the summit of Carne then dropped off to the pass below and the Carne High Route which is one of those unofficial trails in much better condition than official trails. I told him I had imagined this to be a obscure trail and not a clear super highway. The views were terrific as were the basins we came through which still had some water trickling just below the trail we made it out to the ridge just to the South of the basin leading up to Ice Box but the cliffy slab rock gully's leading down were wet and steep and time was short so we decided another time. We didn't want to lose elevation and regain it the best approach looks like it may be just to the North off the trail and directly up the basin which is boulders, talus, scree, and pumice. Steve did Ice box with a friend when the entire area was snow bound so he didn't know what it would be like without snow. Anyhow we dropped back down from near 7100' into the basin and headed back. It did get down below freezing at some point but a 0 degree bag kept me more than comfortable. Good time my 4th trip up there the next day I drove my wife back up from Wenatchee and we took in all the colors.
In the beginning Steve and Hit the Trail.
In the beginning Steve and Hit the Trail.
On the trail above Carne Basin.
On the trail above Carne Basin.
YES !
YES !
Views from the Carne mtn/ high route.
Views from the Carne mtn/ high route.
Carne Mtn. from the Carne Mtn. high route.
Carne Mtn. from the Carne Mtn. high route.
Basin with some running water below the trail.
Basin with some running water below the trail.
From the ridge a view of Ice Box.
From the ridge a view of Ice Box.
Fortress - Chiwawa - Red in the foreground.
Fortress - Chiwawa - Red in the foreground.
Gaining the Carne Mtn. trail with Ice Box to the right.
Gaining the Carne Mtn. trail with Ice Box to the right.
Carne Mountain from the basin.
Carne Mountain from the basin.
Returning to Carne Basin in the early evening.
Returning to Carne Basin in the early evening.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 7:45 pm 
Whoa! Thought you said your still shot battery was fading in and out of of a comatose state after each shot. I was expecting either a few 1880's grainy shots or frame grabs from video. Not the normal Wilderness photo dump. Great contribution. Sorry I can't join you Steve and Hannah on a repeat of this trip from the Leroy side in a couple of days (too many things going on at home). Maybe I will do the Cradle lake trip solo later in the week as a consolation. Have a good trip. up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 7:18 am 
I am only to our campsite with the video the RX100 III shoots great video but image stabilization is tricky shooting while backpacking I am using Filmora video editing which does a great job your pics look good the RX100 puts a lot in a small camera Hannah will love the area this time of year it will be her 27th birthday during the trip.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
But, that should relieve some of the pressure on Spyder Meadows.
Naw... didn't do a thing to slow down folx at Blanca.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
kite

kite
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:46 am 
Wow, looked like an awesome walk