Forum Index > Trail Talk > Grizzly Kills Hunter in WY
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 am 
On September 14, a grizzly and her cub killed hunting guide Mark Uptain and wounded his client while they were field dressing an elk in Teton Wilderness in WY according to various news reports. Reports indicate a discharged can of bear spray was found at the scene but it was not deployed before the attack started. Apply you own values, draw your own conclusions. I may chime in later when I've had a chance to read more. I do believe this is the season when most grizzly attacks occur for a variety of reasons.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:54 am 
Saw this last week. For some reason they think the bear may NOT have been defending the elk/food source? RIP Mr. Uptain.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
over the hill

over the hill
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 pm 
More clarification in this article: http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreation/wyoming-officials-offer-details-of-grizzly-attack-that-killed-hunting/article_c5913d2a-4889-5fa9-89d8-e44562b06717.html DNA results confirmed the proper bears were put down. Just so happens this drainage was going to part of our fishing trip next week. My heart goes out to the guides young family.

Mikey

Mikey
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
Apparently bear spray works - sometimes. Note the instructions are to spray into the bears eyes and nostrils. If a bear charges you and you have to wait until the bear gets near enough to spray into the bear's eyes, that seems to be asking a lot. “Hikers Charged by Brown Bear Sow on Ridge Trail” June 14, 2018 The hikers were ascending one of the peaks along Ridge Trail between Power Creek and Crater Lake trails on Saturday, June 9, 2018 when they heard something crashing through the scrubby spruce and hemlock trees through the vegetation toward them, said Alicia King, public affairs/partnership staff officer for Chugach National Forest. “It became quickly apparent that it was a brown bear. The bear was exhibiting stress behavior and vocalizations and immediately charged the group.” The Brown bear sow knocked one of the hikers to the ground and a second hiker suffered injuries while seeking cover, Alicia King said. None of them were bitten or scratched. Alicia King said “When using bear spray, to be most effective, the high-power pepper spray should hit the bear’s eyes and nostrils”. Alaska Wildlife Trooper Sgt. Robin Morrisett. said:“Bear spray was used and proved effective in deterring the bear and stopping the incident. It was because of that bear spray that they’re still around. That whole situation could have been a lot worse.”

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm 
Article about elk hunting in griz country. https://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/hunting-in-a-grizzly-world-prompts-bear-concerns/article_912935f8-82ac-57d5-8c4e-7ee558059ac3.html

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm 
Some thoughts about this incident: The bears came right at them. This seems consistent with trying to take away a kill. Grizzlies are very opportunistic and just because they had not already claimed the kill doesn't mean they wouldn't try to seize it once they discovered it. Dressing a dead elk is not the same thing as hiking. If you aren't carrying your gun, it's of no use. The guide had at least a hand gun and bear spray, but was not able to deploy either in the initial attack. The gun was not on his person and even though he survived the initial attack he never got to it. There is no honor in running then riding away and succeeding in making an unlikely cell connection. Also, throwing the gun toward the victim and running isn't noble. If you go into bear country, you should be able to respond to an attack with either a weapon or bear spray. Obviously, letting a kill lie over night increases the danger. Finally, my understanding is that grizzlies rarely attack men on horseback. If the client had the horsemanship to ride back to the guide, he might have been able to help. We don't know if this was even possible. Sounds like the guide acted like a hero and took his responibilities seriously. RIP. This is horrible for this large family. Interesting to note they could still smell the bear spray on the bear after it was killed. article about horses and bear attacks Gutsy horsewoman drives off grizzly

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 6:00 pm 
When those bears come they come real fast!! You gotta be holdin' that heat nearby

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Sep 23, 2018 10:15 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Some thoughts about this incident: The bears came right at them. This seems consistent with trying to take away a kill. Grizzlies are very opportunistic and just because they had not already claimed the kill doesn't mean they wouldn't try to seize it once they discovered it. Dressing a dead elk is not the same thing as hiking. If you aren't carrying your gun, it's of no use. The guide had at least a hand gun and bear spray, but was not able to deploy either in the initial attack. The gun was not on his person and even though he survived the initial attack he never got to it. There is no honor in running then riding away and succeeding in making an unlikely cell connection. Also, throwing the gun toward the victim and running isn't noble. If you go into bear country, you should be able to respond to an attack with either a weapon or bear spray. Obviously, letting a kill lie over night increases the danger. Finally, my understanding is that grizzlies rarely attack men on horseback. If the client had the horsemanship to ride back to the guide, he might have been able to help. We don't know if this was even possible. Sounds like the guide acted like a hero and took his responibilities seriously. RIP. This is horrible for this large family. Interesting to note they could still smell the bear spray on the bear after it was killed. article about horses and bear attacks Gutsy horsewoman drives off grizzly
This evening I spoke with some people who knew the guide who was mauled to death. They all said that he was the kind of guy who would say to anyone else nearby in an attack, "go, run away to safety." They regretted the kind of criticism in hindsight others are making toward the hunter from Florida who fled on horseback. Who knows what we would all do in similar situation. The guide in question left behind 5 kids and was a local businessman in Jackson.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 am 
Mikey wrote:
Apparently bear spray works - sometimes. Note the instructions are to spray into the bears eyes and nostrils. If a bear charges you and you have to wait until the bear gets near enough to spray into the bear's eyes, that seems to be asking a lot.
Im pretty sure that the effectiveness of bear spray is somewhere in the 90% percent range. The spray forms a cloud and spreads out so while you aim at the bears eyes and mouth, you do not have to be precise as if you were aiming a gun. You also do not have to wait for the bear to get close to you. They say that ideally you would start spraying when the bear was 60 to 30 feet from you. The bear then hits that cloud, and cant see and breathe well and diverts.

gb

gb
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:52 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
When those bears come they come real fast!! You gotta be holdin' that heat nearby
That will give you a 50% chance of being attacked and injured. Bear spray WHEN DEPLOYED gives you a 97% chance of a positive outcome (Steven Herrero). The gun is like the lottery.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 11:50 am 
my quick-draw bear mace holster This holster was made from a fingerless glove with an elastic cuff, which is at the top, cinching around the spray can. The shoulder strap passes thru the thumb hole near the bottom. It was necessary to tie-down the bottom. Simple, but the rig was a bit fussy and took some time to get it right. memory fragment (from Herrero?): if you hear the bear stomping, it's a bluff charge; if it's for keeps, you won't hear it.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 8:44 pm 
Wolffie, the holster looks good the way it's rigged up in the video. Is there a safety you need to deactivate? What are the chances of accidental discharge if you fall, etc.?

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:52 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Wolffie, the holster looks good the way it's rigged up in the video. Is there a safety you need to deactivate? What are the chances of accidental discharge if you fall, etc.?
Even if it did spray “accidental discharge it would not be terrible. After about 30 minutes you would recover then it will suck again next time you shower or get wet for a bit and that’s it

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 4:15 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Is there a safety you need to deactivate?
My bear can has a glow-in-the-dark quick-release safety cover over the trigger.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 pm 
Thanks for the info. I am really looking for your report on how this works... eek.gif Actually, just kidding, I hope you never need to use this rig in a live fire situation! Looks like you are about as ready as you can be. smile.gif