Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cabin @ Lyman Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 pm 
My brother and I hiked into Lyman Lake back in the early 60s. He rode his horse over from the west side and I took the boat up Lake Chelan. We stowed all our gear in a duffel bag and strapped it to the saddle. We went up Agness Cr, & over Cloudy Pass to the lake. At the time there was a nice log cabin a few hundred yards below the lake, just off the trail to Holden. I think the Chelan Co. PUD kept it maintained for their winter snow survey crews. There was some equipment stored there. Is the cabin still there? It was open to the public and no vandalism. It had a table, wood stove, and a couple of bunk beds. Also hiked up to Lyman glacier. Anything left of it or has global warming taken it out? My dad rode his horse in after a couple of days. He left from Trinity. When we left Lyman we took his route out. 20 miles as I remember and we did it in one day. Thank goodness for the horse. I have read many comments in this forum about the number of hikers these days. Of the 4 or 5 days we were at Lyman, I can't remember seeing another hiker. How times have changed!

pimaCanyon
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 pm 
I don't have any answers Dick, but I enjoy your posts. There are a lot of people here interested in history. Looking forward to readinglre from you.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Julia

Julia
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 12:05 pm 
Lyman Glacier in August '18, hopefully this photo will show up for you. smile.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 pm 
Julia: As far as I can remember the toe of the glacier was about down to where it appears to be the rock outcroppings. I am in the process of sorting and digitizing old slides. One of which was taken just below the glacier. If I find it I will try to prevail on someone to post it as I haven't figured out how to get pictures into the site. Also I have a nice picture of the old cabin that I mentioned in my earlier comments. Thanks for the picture. I pretty much confirms what I expected. Dick

Julia

Julia
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm 
I would love to see those photos! I've been surprised how little snow (if any) is at Spider Gap now. I've been going up there almost every year for about 10 years, and I've been able to see the changes even in that short of time. frown.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 am 
Julia or Kim: I have retrieved the photos of the Lyman glacier and cabin I took back in the 60's. How much the glacier has receded is rather dramatic. As I said I don't know how to post the pictures, but if either of you care to send me you email I can forward them to you for posting. My email is: landsurveyor939@hotmail.com. Dick

RichP

RichP
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 pm 
An interesting historical note on the cabin from Beckey: "In summer 1935 Everett Darr, on a climbing venture to Bonanza Peak, found a man's body in the Washington Water cabin near the south end of Lyman Lake. When this was reported to the post office in Lucerne, a woman explained, " That's my husband. We've been looking for him for two years!" He also notes that Lyman was originally called Aurelia Lake. Page 382

Julia

Julia
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:40 pm 
Sharing Dick B's Lyman Glacier & cabin photos from the 60s ... WOW!
Thank you so much for sharing these with us!

RichP

RichP
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 6:05 pm 
Nice cabin!

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 am 
Thanks Julia for posting my pictures. Lyman was one of the more memorial hikes that I did in my younger days. Back to my original question. Does anyone know if the cabin is still there? When we were there there was a log book for visitors to sign. One of the more recent ones was posted by a scout master that had brought his troop to the lake and it rained the whole time they were there. Imagine what it must have been like for a whole scout troop holed up in a small cabin.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 11:44 pm 
Really cool pictures Dick and thanks for uploading them Julia! I was really hoping to make it to Lyman Lake this summer but will have to wait until next year. I've never been there so I can't say for sure it's gone but using topoView the cabin isn't on maps after 1978. Here's a 1944 map from topoView.
Cabin at North end of Lyman Lake (1944 map)
Cabin at North end of Lyman Lake (1944 map)

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 9:29 am 
I remember it being there in the early 80’s but not since. It is not visible on Google Earth.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Julia

Julia
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 12:14 pm 
I haven't seen the cabin or the remains of it, but seeing it on the map now, I'll have to go look to see if any signs of it are still visible.

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 3:08 pm 
Thanks Julia: As I recall the trail down RR Ck ran thru a small clearing at the foot of the lake. The cabin was just beyond that. I'm sure it was just off the trail, between it and the creek. The picture with the mtn in the background may have been taken from the trail or close to it. I have emailed Chelan PUD to see if they have any record of, if or when it may have been taken down. I also asked if they might have kept any of the old guest logs. If I strike out there I will try the Forest Service. It would be interesting to know how heavy the traffic would have been back in the day. I will be anxious to hear what you find on your next trip to the lake. Do you go up thru Holden or another route?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 10:32 pm 
thanks for the photos and the contribution, Dick B. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."