Forum Index > Trail Talk > Yakima Skyline has burned pretty much toast.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:32 pm 
Visible from near Selah. the Eastern Ridge trail is right on the burn line for the first 1/2 mile. Above that the burn is pretty much complete to the low point and throughout the saddle. Some very nice sage was taken out in the latter vicinity. The part that rises more steeply to Gracie Point escaped the fire. A personal guess - not worth much for two or three years when flowers should return. The other big loss is Thyme leaved buckwheat which is a woody plant and probably quite old. The displays of that plant were among the very best near the saddle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 am 
Hesman wrote:
I drove through there yesterday but didn’t see the burn. (Granted I wasn’t looking for it.) Though I did see that along I-90 between where it leaves the Kittitas Valley and Vantage was burned pretty good.
Would that include Whiskey Dick?

hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 am 
WildCad info: 09/27/2018 13:34 SES-655 PN L5G0 (1502) CCT - 221 DURR Wildfire 105 acres Kittitas Co. Durr Rd. T15 R18 S3 46 48.720, -120 33.180 Grass, brush Court Martin Effective . Contain: 09/28/18 1545 Control: 09/28/18 1755

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 5:50 pm 
Hesman wrote:
gb wrote:
Hesman wrote:
I drove through there yesterday but didn’t see the burn. (Granted I wasn’t looking for it.) Though I did see that along I-90 between where it leaves the Kittitas Valley and Vantage was burned pretty good.
Would that include Whiskey Dick?
Mostly South of I-90 with some on North side.
I have been making the drive about 2 times a week between Spokane and Yakima lately and I believe that fire was from a few months ago

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 12:07 pm 
I don’t remember this fire. I do recall one S of I-90 at the river crossing, but not this one. Or if I did know about it, I have already forgotten. (but I do remember the license plate number of a pink Rambler that hit a motorcyclist in front of our house decades ago, when I was a tot) rolleyes.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert