Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been Buzzed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:28 pm 
Only time it happened to me was a couple miles up the Gold Creek Valley at Snoqualmie.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 pm 

GC99

GC99
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm 
Gold Creek has been a great place for me to see them also, they seem to go north up the valley then turn east and head towards lake Cle Elum in the mornings.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 pm 
Very fortunate to be sitting above iron cap pass one day. Another year military/ Boeing had a 40' semi parked alongside us2 Stevens pass. Wide assortment of planes flying below in the valley testing whatever.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 6:54 pm 
This was a few years ago, while I was on a 4-day trip up the Entiat Valley and back--a single plane (presumably Navy) came roaring over at treetop level at approximately 11:45 am each day.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 pm 
Maybe the same folks that fly the Iron Creek drainage, south of Randle, around 11 AM? Saw a youtube video showing the route they took over White Pass and then up Iron Creek. Whilst exploring the Sun Lakes area, a cargo sized one went by at a low altitude down the Coulee. I am thinking they fly on down as we used to see them heading for our living room window in Palisades. I would guess those are from Fairchild?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
contour5

contour5
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 8:40 pm 
They thrill, but they can kill. One time, while crossing the outlet of Williams Lake, I watched a pair of planes swoop in over Dutch Miller and go hellroaring up through La Bohn. Massive rockfall rumbled like thunder as a gazillion tons of rock spilled down off the ridge dividing the Chain Lakes and Rowena. I had almost gone that way... Step lively if you're in steep talus when you hear the screamers approaching.

Gil

Gil
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 pm 
This was more than 10 years ago, but up in the ALW near Terrace Lake we heard a roar coming through the valley and suddenly this jet came tearing through BELOW us, following the contours. I think it was a C5. I had a wide angle lens on at the time so this is pretty murky. But if we had been on the summit of Sawyer Mountain, things would have been very exciting.
An unexpected visitor.
An unexpected visitor.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm 
I was buzzed two days in a row while out hiking last week, and I loved it. Maybe because my AF son has been in some fast low flying planes while navigating in Afghanistan, and I think of him when I see them. smile.gif Thursday afternoon at about 6,000 feet on Mt. David we saw them roar by, and Friday my brother and I basically had them fly right over the top of our heads while we crossing an avy chute on the way to Lake Valhalla. Amazing to watch!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 pm 
I saw some buzzing around 2 days in a row about a year ago. First day was, like Nancyann, on Mt. David. I was on the summit IIRC, and they were WAY below me, probably a 1,000 ft. or more. The next day I saw them probably flying the same route from a different perspective, I was hiking along Nason Ridge heading toward Alpine Lookout. They fly through one of the passes around Poet's Ridge heading toward Lake Wenatchee, then bank hard and fly back up another valley, probably Napeequa. They seem to like Necklace Valley area. And around the north side of Glacier Peak. If you absolutely want to be guaranteed to see them, just go to Deception Pass SP. Also had some fly below me when I was near the summit of Mt. Aix. They skimmed over a pass on Nelson Ridge. I wanna say they were inverted, a la Top Gun.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 pm 
They came up from way below us too on Mt. David! I wonder if they are the Prowlers from Oak Harbor Naval Air Station on Whidbey. We have a cabin on Camano that looks across to Whidbey and we often see them in the afternoon doing maneuvers when we are there.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm 
Quote:
I think it was a C5
C17. That plane isnt nearly ungainly enough to be a C5 smile.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 12:03 am 
Nancyann wrote:
I wonder if they are the Prowlers from Oak Harbor Naval Air Station on Whidbey.
I'm assuming that's what we see most of the time buzzing around the Cascades. Actually Growlers now. The Prowlers were the old A-6 they flew out of Whidbey, now they have F-18. Faster and louder.

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:09 pm 
I was on the Dolly-Dusty High Route in 2003 with my 2 nephews, camped at about the elevation of Gamma Peak -- when our morning peace was shattered by a helicopter flightseeing probably out of Arlington, buzzing close by. I got out the imaginary Browning .50 cal machine gun on my Swiss Army Knife, but missed. So we mooned them. Not the first time.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm 
1994, hiking the PCT from N Cascades Highway to Stevens Pass. I was alone crossing White Pass and heard a plane coming from the east. It zoomed overhead what seemed quite close - if the pilot hadn't banked I swear I could have told you the color of his eyes.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.