Forum Index > Trail Talk > Super short larch hikes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm 
I think I already know the answer to this question, but here goes nothing... I have some serious health issues that have really slowed me down. Due to pain and fatigue, I can only hike about 2 easy miles. MAYBE 3, but it will be slow and ugly. But my kids are asking to go see the larches. In the past we have done Cutthroat Lake, Blue Lake, and Heather/Maple Pass, but I think those are all too long for me. bawl.gif I'd like to do more than just drive up to Washington Pass and sit there, but are there any other hikes I'm missing? Somewhere I may not be thinking? I'm OK driving 3 or 4 hours from Lynnwood, but probably couldn't do farther than that right now. (Probably shouldn't even go that far....) This week's snow is adding another layer of complexity. Maybe my kids (and I) will be disappointed this year, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 pm 
Table Mountain Trail #1209 Access from Blewett Pass -- even if you don't get out of the car driving NF-9716 and NF-9712 or NF-35 Provides some good Larch viewing. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=57853

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 pm 
Clara & Marion Lakes via the back way. I did that after my back surgery a few years ago. Or, if you don't mind driving up to Harts Pass, you could walk the PCT until the closure. Slate Peak offers some grand views as well.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 am 
^ ^ ^ Good recos. Table Mountain for Western Larch. PCT from Hart's Pass for Subalpine (Lyall's) Larch.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Table Mountain Trail #1209 Access from Blewett Pass -- even if you don't get out of the car driving NF-9716 and NF-9712 or NF-35 Provides some good Larch viewing. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=57853
Keep in mind these are western larches, so they'll go off a few weeks from now. NF-9712 is gorgeous.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 am 
PCT south from Brown Bear th (take a left on the road just before Hart's Pass, go past Meadows Campground to the end, 2 miles from HP Road). Many people call this the Grasshopper Pass hike but you don't need to go all the way there. It's a very level and easy trail and the best larches are right there at the start, for about 1/2 mile. Disclaimer, they were at peak last weekend and they've gotten a dusting of snow. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/grasshopper-pass

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Or, if you don't mind driving up to Harts Pass, you could walk the PCT until the closure. Slate Peak offers some grand views as well.
These are from Sunday (9/30), you can see Slate Peak in the second one. Won't see much yellow up there.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 am 
The drive is a haul from your house, but when the Western larches turn at Blewett, the Swauk Discovery Loop Trail is larchy. Go clockwise to get to them within minutes. In about a half mile or so is a nice bench to sit on, and look out toward Diamond Head; going counter-clockwise takes longer, and a large portion of that route isn’t interesting. Drive Old Blewett a few miles (not sure of the conditions of the entire Old Blewett Highway; it’s hit-and-miss, but the portion to the houses a few miles is good). I would invite myself, but I’m unavailable on weekends until November.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Access from Blewett Pass -- even if you don't get out of the car driving NF-9716 and NF-9712 or NF-35 Provides some good Larch viewing.
This is the side of the road on NF-9712, the one that goes by the Tronsen Ridge TH and to Mission Peak. There's another point where the road becomes a tunnel of yellow.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm 
Western larches just east of White Pass in, probably, 10 days to 2 weeks. The viewpoint looking south across the valley to Hogback is spectacular. So is nearby Dog Lake. All visible from your car! Remember hunting season; wear blaze orange if you want to try trails. My photos have recently disappeared from flickr, so I can't post those I took about 10 years ago.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 2:39 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Western larches just east of White Pass in, probably, 10 days to 2 weeks. The viewpoint looking south across the valley to Hogback is spectacular. So is nearby Dog Lake. All visible from your car! Remember hunting season; wear blaze orange if you want to try trails. My photos have recently disappeared from flickr, so I can't post those I took about 10 years ago.
I drove by there on Sunday, and they were a light green color--the process has started. You can park at wide spots near the Dog Lake Campground, if the gate is closed, and then there is also an overlook nearby with parking and a potty and pickanic table. There are some fairly easy trails on the north side of the pass if a hike is wanted. The North of highway 12 PCT is very easy to do and maybe this chilly weather has killed the bugs?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 12:12 pm 
Thanks, everyone, I will look into these. Maybe I can get a burst of energy this weekend to at least go for a drive.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com