Forum Index > Partners > hiking in december
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tanner
ThunderThighs

tanner
ThunderThighs
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 7:21 pm 
I'm 20 years old and am looking to go hiking and or snowshoeing in december/january. I am originally from seattle but i'm going to college in louisiana right now. I will be in seattle from December 19th to January 15th. I am physically very strong and have experience doing backpacking trips, but i am relatively inexperienced when it comes to hiking in the snow. Please let me know if you would like to go hiking together. -Tanner

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 am 
You can participate in up to two Seattle Mountaineer activities as a guest without becoming a member. Contact the Seattle Mountaineers or go to the website and view "Activities" to sign up for an activity.

wildcat

wildcat
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm 
Meetup is also an excellent option. "Seattle Outdoor Adventurers (SOA)" and "King County Hiking and Mountaineering Group" are two groups on meetup that I have enjoyed hiking with in the past.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:07 pm 
The mountaineers activities are a good way to start, you'll meet folks with similar interests and the trip leaders have some vetting and training. Meetup can be a lot of fun too. Be aware that both in terms of trip organizers and other participants that it can be "soup to nuts" I've participated in both organizations as both a leader and a participant, but eventually stopped leading Meetup trips after some trips where the "nut" content ended up being a lot of work.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 pm 
I will second the suggestion of The Mountaineers for an introduction to snowshoeing here. Basically it's just putting one foot in front of the other. There are a few things that someone with experience knows, but might cause the neophyte trouble. (Tree wells comes to mind.) As opposed to investing in a pair of snowshoes right out of the gate, you might consider either renting or borrowing a pair. (I believe I have a set out in the garage somewhere- if I can find them you're welcome to give them a try.) There are different types and styles - they all work, but some seem to work better than others. Some of it's just personal preference - I prefer the big "Tubbs" style over the flat little MSR models. Size and type of snowshoe is determined in part by height, but more by weight.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 6:33 am 
Ski wrote:
Basically it's just putting one foot in front of the other. There are a few things that someone with experience knows, but might cause the neophyte trouble.
And take ski/hiking poles with you. If you "face plant" due to catching the toe of the snowshoe in the snow, it's quite comical to watch someone (like me the first time I used them) try to get back up on two feet without some assistance. And as Ski said, be very wary of tree wells! This is the area under evergreens where snow doesn't reach during a snow storm, and as the snow continues to fall, eventually this area just gets covered over, which can leave a significant hidden void in the snow surrounding the tree. Do some research on this if my explanation isn't completely clear. It's a good workout, dress in layers that you can easily add/subtract as needed. And have fun!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology