Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been Buzzed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 pm 
My friend and I were on the top of the cliff at Palouse Falls 20 years ago or so and two jets came right over us from behind, with enough of a nudge towards the cliff face to give us that special feeling. paranoid.gif paranoid.gif paranoid.gif It was a thrill for sure and I glanced back up to see them contouring the river canyon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
murrbn

murrbn
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 pm 
Was on the summit of Stuart in the middle of this past July and a medium sized plane that was all red and kind of looked like some sort of medic plane zoomed right over the top. We all started waving and they waved back with the wing of the plane. I don't remember seeing a medic logo so was maybe just someones private plane painted red.

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 6:09 am 
I believe the first time I saw this it was posted on this site. If you're familiar with the area, you'll recognize the topography, landmarks, etc. We look forward to seeing them, it's pretty exhilarating. This summer some of the big cargo jets, I believe they were C-5's lumbered over the Tumac between Tumac Mtn. and Pear Butte, right over us at Blankenship Lakes. Probably my favorite was an E-6 that was coming down Crow Creek and pulled up right over Raven's Roost, and waggled his wings right over the top of us. My son, about 11-12 at the time, was enthralled.

Mikey

Mikey
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 7:21 am 
We were on the summit of Glacier Peak when a Navy EA6 Prowler flew west just south and a little lower than the Glacier Peak summit and so close we could see the crew. That EA6 flew west down the White river valley. Here is YouTube 12 minute video from a Navy EA6B Prowler flights in Washington State. The first part is a fly by of Glacier Peak.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am 
We had at least one plane haul arse beside us through the drainage up to Tieton Peak back in the 90s, then this June while we were up at Waptus lake a couple came roaring through Dutch Miller Gap and headed north through a couple different valleys. Definitely enough to rattle your fillings on the latter.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 3:05 pm 

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
They came up from way below us too on Mt. David!
I was there a few years ago with the kids and two came screaming across the lake and stood on their tails to miss the mountain. It was quite a show smile.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 pm 
When I was a kid camping at Philmont in New Mexico, I was awoken by the loudest noise I'd ever heard growling in the air above. Everything in the world was new to me on this adventure so I figured this had to make sense somehow but it was scarey nonetheless. The next night the same thing happened but I lept out of my tent to get a look. Something huge was passing overhead but I had no idea what it was. This was somewhat calming because the first night I had no idea where the noise was coming from. Later while in the military, my formation was buzzed intentionally by B52s flying at very low altitude with the bomb doors open. I realized what I had seen and heard flying in the night sky in New Mexico were B52s. Much later duing the second Iraq war I was walking on the street in Frankfurt and saw high up in the sky, the unmistakable silhouette of a B52 heading south. Can anyone confirm that B52s operated over New Mexico and that my ID could be correct?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 am 
Years ago; about 30 feet below Glacier Peak’s summit; a very icy stair-step (Sitkum route) we were buzzed. The sound of the jets came up suddenly; there’s no warning; all the sudden a ROAR! Luckily I’m a bit bovine at times, and my reactions are fairly temperate (with the exception of being presented with a red velvet cake), so there was no startling slippage down the Scimitar. I was concentrating on the icy steps, so couldn’t see them, but my friends said the jets were so close, they could see the pilots. The other time was not long after Kennedy Hot Springs was wiped out. Foist and I were at Lake Byrne; after dinner, I decided to drop down to check out Kennedy while Foist circumnavigated the lake. Standing on the tons of massive debris, thinking about what it was like while the landscape was being ripped away, I heard a dull rumble that got louder and louder. Reason left the cabeza, and all I could think of was that massive floodwaters were roaring down the canyon, and I’d soon be swept away, never to be seen again in human form, but as perhaps my eyeball would be mistaken for an agate after me being stuffed into the Juan de Fuca trench, and later morphed into an igneous rock. Then I realized I didn’t know if agate is igneous. Then I realized I’m not solid on the difference between igneous and metamorphic rock. I actually thought about that for a second, but left off, and returned to worrying about being swept away. Anyway, I got all weak in the knees and started to shake like, in the words of the great P.G. Wodehouse, a pole-axed blanc mange. Luckily, reason came back, as I saw the jets fly up the White Chuck valley. I’m solid on the agate deal now, so next time I’ll be more prepared.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 4:51 pm 
Hilarious Kim ! Now when I see an agate, I'll imagine an eyeball... Once, I was on Canyon creek bridge when the jets sound shattered my peace. I ended up flat on the bridge thinking it was some sort of attack. Now My body is trained so fingers go to ears immediately. Still, they're awsome to see.

When I grow up I wanna play.
lemArts

lemArts
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 5:29 pm 
Couple years back we were right at the top of Spider Gap taking a break before heading down towards Lyman Lakes. 2 F-18's came blazing towards us southbound over the lakes towards Spider Meadows. One of them was inverted as they went right over our heads. So damned low I swear the pilot waved at us. Awesome awesome scene. Another time we were on Polallie Ridge near the foundation of the old long gone fire lookout and 2 F-18's flew past us to the northwest (not nearly as close as the incident above) headed down towards Waptus Lake. Good times.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Oct 06, 2018 8:25 pm 
Nick is a friend of mine who is an F-18 Growler pilot out of Whidbey. It is captivating while we are hiking to listen to him talk about his training adventures in the air. He says they often fly over passes "belly up" because they can see the ground better! Not here, but my favorite personal encounter with a buzzing was in 1989 while running on the Racetrack, a famous playa in Death Valley NP ( national monument then, but unimportant). I am not normally startled by sudden noises, but in a split second the ambience went from dead quiet to a screaming roar as two jets blasted over an adjacent ridge at near supersonic speed. I think I set the unofficial world record for the standing high jump, so startled was I! If the pilots had seen me just below, they would have roared with amusement. But they were gone by the time my feet hit the ground again. It was really really cool.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The other time was not long after Kennedy Hot Springs was wiped out. Foist and I were at Lake Byrne; after dinner, I decided to drop down to check out Kennedy while Foist circumnavigated the lake. Standing on the tons of massive debris, thinking about what it was like while the landscape was being ripped away, I heard a dull rumble that got louder and louder. Reason left the cabeza, and all I could think of was that massive floodwaters were roaring down the canyon, and I’d soon be swept away, never to be seen again in human form, but as perhaps my eyeball would be mistaken for an agate after me being stuffed into the Juan de Fuca trench, and later morphed into an igneous rock. Then I realized I didn’t know if agate is igneous. Then I realized I’m not solid on the difference between igneous and metamorphic rock. I actually thought about that for a second, but left off, and returned to worrying about being swept away.
but then you might make into brush buffalo's "what's this rock?" thread.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 9:01 pm 
Have been buzzed many times throughout years of traveling in the Central Cascades and seen a fairly wide variety of aircraft. Unfortunately, other than the pics below (which are terrible) I've never been able to catch any on camera.
13planesformation
13planesformation
14planecloseup
14planecloseup
Those are scans of 4x6 film prints taken in 2007 with a fairly wide angle lens, so really couldn't get much closeup detail and had to really zoom in on the print, thus the crappy quality. Anyway, I was sitting on the Temple enjoying the views of Mt. Daniel and the surrounding lakes & valleys when these planes came up the Cle Elum River from the South. They broke formation and proceeded to fly all around the nearby peaks and ridges as if they were mock dogfighting or playing cat-and-mouse. This went on for about 20 minutes or so, during which time one of them flew between me and Mt. Daniel at about my elevation, which is where I got the more close-up picture. Then they all flew up to a higher altitude, formed up and flew off to the North. I'd never seen planes like that before and there wasn't quite as much info on the 'net as there is now so it took awhile to figure out that they were T-45 Goshawks which is a trainer used by the Navy and Marines.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 9:01 pm 
Have been buzzed many times throughout years of traveling in the Central Cascades and seen a fairly wide variety of aircraft. Unfortunately, other than the pics below (which are terrible) I've never been able to catch any on camera.
13planesformation
13planesformation
14planecloseup
14planecloseup
Those are scans of 4x6 film prints taken in 2007 with a fairly wide angle lens, so really couldn't get much closeup detail and had to really zoom in on the print, thus the crappy quality. Anyway, I was sitting on the Temple enjoying the views of Mt. Daniel and the surrounding lakes & valleys when these planes came up the Cle Elum River from the South. They broke formation and proceeded to fly all around the nearby peaks and ridges as if they were mock dogfighting or playing cat-and-mouse. This went on for about 20 minutes or so, during which time one of them flew between me and Mt. Daniel at about my elevation, which is where I got the more close-up picture. Then they all flew up to a higher altitude, formed up and flew off to the North. I'd never seen planes like that before and there wasn't quite as much info on the 'net as there is now so it took awhile to figure out that they were T-45 Goshawks which is a trainer used by the Navy and Marines.