Forum Index > Trail Talk > Name That Plant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 am 
Well, I don't have very many plant allergies, but just being in the vicinity of those things gets my eyes burning. They're blooming like crazy around the Green River right now. Someone went along and uprooted a ton of it and tossed it all on the ground. That seems a little pointless, unless they have a problem with mistaking it for parsnip and eating it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 12:17 pm 
Cow parsnip, poison hemlock, and water hemlock are all in the carrot family, Apiaceae. This family all have their white flowers on umbels (like umbrellas). Some of the members are edible and others like poison and water hemlock are deadly poisonous. Confusion between them has caused death before http://journals.lww.com/transplantjournal/Abstract/2003/09150/Successful_transplantation_of_donor_organs_from_a.26.aspx and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1306130/pdf/westjmed00177-0043.pdf Without education and scrutiny tragedies will happen again. I have seen patches of cow parsnips and poison hemlock growing together so someone who isn't paying attention to each plant would end up dead. Prompt emergency response can avoid the anticipated death by respiratory paralysis from poison hemlock. http://journals.lww.com/pec-online/Abstract/2009/11000/Poison_Hemlock_Induced_Respiratory_Failure_in_a.11.aspx King County recommends eradication of poison hemlock but does not require it on their noxious weeds list; http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/laws/non-designated.aspx I do not know why King County has included the deadly poison hemlock on the same list as the ox-eye daisy but that is government for you.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jun 04, 2012 12:57 pm 
Ok that just gives me another reason to remain a carnivore... lol.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Sep 26, 2015 1:08 pm 
I've been doing some invasive weed picking at the Dingford trailhead, mostly for Herb Robert. But I'd like to also learn what native plants like to grow out into the open sunny area there. Here are three of them that I'd like help identifying. It will be easier next spring when they are flowering, but can anyone help now? I'm impatient.
Dingford trailhead plant
Dingford trailhead plant
Dingford trailhead plant
Dingford trailhead plant
Salmonberry at the Dingford trailhead

Brockton

Brockton
PostSat Sep 26, 2015 1:32 pm 
I don't know about the first one. Kinnikinnick? The second one looks like plantain from the look of the leaves and the flower/seed stalk. I believe that's a non-native weed. The third one is definitely not thimbleberry, which has simple palmate leaves, like a maple leaf. It looks like it could be salmonberry, with the two lower leaflets making the shape of butterfly wings. (That's something I heard about identifying salmonberry.)

hatchetation

hatchetation
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 4:40 pm 
Found these conifer-ish creeping vine things on the trail up to Pratt balcony. There was no woody stem like a young sapling. Just a vine coming out of the ground. Very soft. Weird habit - never seen anything like em. My best guesses are probably terrible - polytrichum? Cryptomeria japonica?

Wastral

Wastral
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I've been doing some invasive weed picking at the Dingford trailhead, mostly for Herb Robert. But I'd like to also learn what native plants like to grow out into the open sunny area there. Here are three of them that I'd like help identifying. It will be easier next spring when they are flowering, but can anyone help now? I'm impatient.
Dingford trailhead plant
Dingford trailhead plant
Dingford trailhead plant
Dingford trailhead plant
1) Creeping Snowberry if fuzzy(can't see well enough), otherwise could be a compact form of Cranberry 2) Common Plantain 3) SalmonBerry

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
Wastral

Wastral
PostWed Oct 03, 2018 5:04 pm 
hatchetation wrote:
Found these conifer-ish creeping vine things on the trail up to Pratt balcony. There was no woody stem like a young sapling. Just a vine coming out of the ground. Very soft. Weird habit - never seen anything like em. My best guesses are probably terrible - polytrichum? Cryptomeria japonica?
Pacific Yew is my bet where it has more sunlight than normal. Can look different depending on how much light it gets. If in VERY deep shade it will be VERY dark green leaved and very sprawling, open form. If in more light, the new growth, then a much brighter green and compact form.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:48 am 
hatchetation wrote:
Lycopodium. A type of club moss. Match the species at the Burke WTU image collection. http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/browse.php?Genus=Lycopodium&Classification=Vascular%20Plants&BrowseBy=Genus&OrderBy=SciName&Display=Descriptions&BeginsWith=L

brewermd

brewermd
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 9:15 am 
There is an app called inaturalist that would help with these ids. The way it works is that you take a picture and upload into inaturalist and it ids it from a large data bank of pictures that has been accumulating over several years. Works quite with plants and insects but lacks a little in mushrooms. The North Cascades Park people promote the app during their bioblitz activities.

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am 
from your link: conium maculatum. google search shows foliage as VERY different from the leaf pattern in question. commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Conium_maculatum_2.jpg

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
hatchetation

hatchetation
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:05 pm 
gb wrote:
hatchetation wrote:
Lycopodium. A type of club moss. Match the species at the Burke WTU image collection.
Ahhh! I think that's it. Lycopodium annotinum perhaps. Thanks! That Burke site is awesome, haven't seen it before. Lead to the pnwherbaria.org entry, with this specimen image.

gb

gb
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 2:56 pm 
hatchetation wrote:
gb wrote:
hatchetation wrote:
Lycopodium. A type of club moss. Match the species at the Burke WTU image collection.
Ahhh! I think that's it. Lycopodium annotinum perhaps. Thanks! That Burke site is awesome, haven't seen it before. Lead to the pnwherbaria.org entry, with this specimen image.
That is it. I thought you might be better served by doing a bit of investigating on your own. Although most of the images show the club moss to be upright, I've mostly seen it prostrate.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 7:56 am 
gb wrote:
Lycopodium. A type of club moss.
A very humble group of plants these days, it was not always so. Wikipedia says: "During the Carboniferous Period, tree-like Lycopodiophyta (such as Lepidodendron) formed huge forests that dominated the landscape." They are among the most primitive of vascular plants and have continuously occupied the earth since the Silurian. In my experience they are rather uncommon around here. The Smithsonian has some very impressive Lycopod fossil tree trunks.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
nordique

nordique
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 6:51 pm 
Thank you, Sculpin! MANY decades ago, my high school football team was named the Sculpins. And 'Myoxocephalus octodecemspinosus' won me several college biology fieldtrip quizzes!