Forum Index > Trail Talk > Single Day Trip: Cooney Lake/Martin Peak, or Eagle Lakes/Mt Bigelow?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 pm 
This weekend I want to go check out the larches of the "Golden Lakes" of the Sawtooth Ridge north of Chelan. None of my friends were available for an overnight trip and anyways I probably don't want to camp in 30 degree low temperatures. So I have decided to sleep in hotels the nights before and after, and do a long single day trip. I figure there are tons of water sources so I can pack pretty light and move fairly fast and steady, and the approach trails look pretty easy. This past summer I did do 16 miles and 6k feet of gain for Tokaloo Rock and Aurora Peak at MRNP in about 12 hours, so I know I can do that sort of distance in a single day. I plan to start at 6am or so, and am fine returning past sundown as long as I am on good trail. I am deciding between 2 options. One is to hike up Foggy Dew Creek to Cooney Lake, scramble Martin Peak, run ridge to Switchback Peak, and hike out via Merchants Basin back to Foggy Dew. The loop on the trails alone is 16 miles, so with the 2 peaks I figure that would push 18 miles or so. This option is long, but the scramble of the peaks appears straightforward and not super technical, so I should make good time. 2nd option would be to hike into Upper Eagle Lake and scramble up Bigelow. If time hike up to Horsehead Pass before hiking out. Without the side trip to the pass, this appears to be 14-15 ish miles. Including the pass, a bit over 16 miles. Which option would you all recommend? Which lake has the better larches? Which trails are best and nicest to hike fast on? Is Bigelow straightforward, or pretty time consuming?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 pm 
Crater Creek TH/road is closed due to road construction, so that rules out Eagle Lakes unless you are entering via Foggy Dew (which would be a really long day).

Pribbs

Pribbs
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:51 pm 
Well, that narrows it down then! Cooney Lake and Martin/Switchback Peaks it shall be! I will leave my hotel in Chelan a bit after 5am so I should have plenty of time for that hike and scramble.

gray matter

gray matter
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 pm 
That’s a beautiful area this time of year. The routes up Martin and Switchback are essentially walk ups. Enjoy your trip, and post pics!!

ryan_mcginnis

ryan_mcginnis
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am 
Cooney lake looks really good for larches. From Foggy Dew TH, it's a 17-18 mile round trip. And the temps will probably be in the teens overnight. Not sure how the larches will look there this weekend. Forecast says light snow at 1600 feet, probably a different story at 7,000...

Pribbs

Pribbs
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 5:57 pm 
I will be up at over 8300 feet so I look forward to the added beauty from the snow! Forecast says lows tonight in the 30s