Forum Index > Gear Talk > Inreach Mini - problem sending texts
Previous :: Next Topic  
Windstorm

Windstorm

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 12:04 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kat wrote:
Good to know you don't have to leave it in tracking mode to be located, altho someone still needs to know the url I would presume.

Should be easy enough to add the url to your trip plan that you leave with someone at home. If your emergency person has to call 911 because you're overdue, SAR will be thrilled if they can ping your InReach and get a good location.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I hope you can get it figured out!

I have an older inReach that works well with my iPhone. I have had one or two problems in the past with it, usually centering around software updates. The folks at Tech Support were excellent, but that was before Garmin bought them, so I don't know if that has changed anything. Definitely give them a call. They may have knowledge of software bugs or current problems, and would probably want to know about it anyway so they can fix it.

My InReach has worked really well, I don't use the tracking function, I just use it to text my hubby (using the Earthmate app) and let him know we are OK, or that we are running late, or changed trailheads, or other important info. It was invaluable when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere and he was able to secure a tow truck for me via text, with my exact coordinates. I've been happy with it. I do have to take the batteries out when I'm not using it, because it somehow sucks them dry even when turned off. So that's one downside, but I'm sure they have different battery systems now; mine is several years old. I don't use it for location, I prefer Gaia or just a map for that.

--------------
My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Inreach Mini - problem sending texts
  Happy Birthday LeafEater!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: