Forum Index > Gear Talk > custom headlamp band?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikr

hikr
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 pm 
I recently bought an actik core headlamp. It seems like a decent headlamp but I was planning on wearing it over a backwards ballcap and the inside of the headlamp band seems a bit slick so it seems like the whole thing could fly off if I was running for example. I like the strap on the Petzl Nao+: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yo5oz9yj6wsuth8/download%20%286%29.jpeg?dl=0 It looks like the Petzl Nao+ uses shock cord (skinny bungee cord) on the back but I can't tell for sure. Either way I could create a custom band with shock cord. Are there any aftermarket headlamp bands which are popular with this group? Or are there any popular custom headband options with forum members here?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikr

hikr
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 8:01 pm 
Based on some basic googling, looks like the Petzl BINDI uses shock cord for the headlamp band:

bk

bk
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 8:12 pm 
Replacement headbands have been on my list, too, for quite a while. (My straight, one-to-one replacement from the manufacturer . . . seems to follow the same path of wearing out, like the original one did, as one might expect . . . ) A quick search on Amazon shows some. The flat elastic design feels comfortable before it loses its grip. (Maybe some kind of flat webbing equipment strap that is not elastic would work well?) The thin cord shape of your bungee photo looks like it would feel irritating(?) In the amazon search, some of the inexpensive headlamps cost the same as a replacement strap (about ten bucks). They could be harvested for their straps, if the headlamp is very non-impressive. Maybe Joanns Fabrics has suggestions for a good quick-attach, quick-adjust gizmo (though one would imagine headlamp manufacturers have already figured out the best solution . . . but your photo's bungee design shows it is still evolving somewhat). In any case, Joann's might have a more affordable replacement suggestion, since those bands seem to wear out so consistently. (Probably better than ten bucks for one strap.)