Forum Index > Trip Reports > 5th of July, Rampart, and Garland (10/6-10/8)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 pm 
Have wanted to head for the Basalt Ridge area for some time, but always seemed to keep it on the backburner. Finally with the Larches changing color and a long weekend this seemed to be a perfect time. Neil wanted to join, but was hoping to avoid the long drive to the Entiat TH. He decided to head in on the Basalt Ridge trail while I would go in via the Entiat, then meet around the 6,000' level below Rampart. I got a late start of 9:45 and made quick work to Myrtle Lake. The trail is hot and dry, but easy to follow.
Myrtle Lake
Myrtle Lake
From the lake the trail heads up to Cow Creek Meadows. Quite a spectacular setting.
Cow Creek Meadows
Cow Creek Meadows
From here the trail becomes a pain. Seems there were countless downed trees, and the path became much more difficult to follow.
Looking down at the meadows
Looking down at the meadows
Worked my way up to 7,150' at 5th of July Pass by 3:00 (the time I was Supposed to meet Neil at camp). Considering I was running late already I headed for the summit. Carrying my overnight pack the last 500' sucked, but the summit was well worth it.
Larch
Larch
5th of July Pass
5th of July Pass
Fifth of July summit
Fifth of July summit
Looking at Rampart Mtn
Looking at Rampart Mtn
Dakobed Range
Dakobed Range
Fortress, Chiwawa, et al
Fortress, Chiwawa, et al
Heading down the pass I quickly lost the trail for a couple hundred feet. Normally not a big deal, but seems Neil passed me while looking for a camp while I was a bit off course.
Larch madness
Larch madness
Golden Ramparts
Golden Ramparts
White and gold
White and gold
Blue and gold
Blue and gold
Eventually found a nice spot at 6,000' w/ water. Neil found me around 5:30 after heading to the pass, but decided I was below after seeing fresh downward tracks in the mud. The evening was spent sipping whiskey and reminiscing of our 2018 climbs. Our original plan was to climb Devils Smokestack on Sunday, but fresh snow and zero summit beta caused us to bail. Instead we headed for Rampart in the morning under cloudy skies.
Devils Smokestack (2)
Devils Smokestack (2)
Rampart summit
Rampart summit
With plenty of day light we decided to head for Garland as well. It snowed a bit, but overall the bad weather was holding off.
Peaks & Larches
Peaks & Larches
Neil among the larch
Neil among the larch
Garland
Garland
Garland summit
Garland summit
Neil and myself split ways as he descended the Basalt Ridge trail, and I headed back to camp for the evening.
Devils Smokestack
Devils Smokestack
Neil making his exit
Neil making his exit
As expected Sunday night came with heavy rains that followed into Monday. Packed my gear and started the long slog back to the Entiat Trail. Burger and a beer were had at the Entiat Pub & Grub to finish off a good weekend. 28 miles. Another great time in the mountains!!!

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 pm 
Wow! 5th of July is larchy! Cool!

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 am 
Great time among the larches! up.gif

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.