Forum Index > Trail Talk > NWH Calendar, Potluck & SAR Fundraiser (Dec 14)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 3:45 pm 
Congrats to all the winners! If you would like a calendar you can order directly from Mixbook. Use coupon MIXMAS for $25 off and choose budget shipping to get the cost down to $6.59 for a medium (11 x 8.5") calendar or $19.80 for large (14 x 11") calendar. Other coupon codes might offer a greater discount if you are ordering more than 1 calendar. Planning to attend (dish you're bringing): Nancyann +2 (apple-almond cake), Ski (with pie, of course!), Tom (mac 'n cheese, teryaki meatballs), Kim (TBD), JimK (TBD), Hiker Mama (I'll figure something out), Schroder (chicken curry casserole), puzzlr (phad thai), BarbE (Caesar salad), Matt (salad), Snowdog (roasted potatoes), Gil (beef stew and rice), Pyrites (manicotti) DadFly (Pork Roast) the zachster +1 (brownies and something else TBD), Gwen (TBD), Snuffy (TBD), marydave +1 (sweet potatoes+), Hopi Girl (TBD), Cyclopath (TBD), Downhill (cornbread), beardo_mcgrath (tbd), Kenji+2 (pasta+),dicey(some food), RockShadow (TBD), wolffie (something high in sugar, fat, salt, and chocolate -- for those on a low-vitamin diet), Hanzsek (habanero veggie chili), Hiking_Husky plus guest (TBD), Michael Lewis (Pizza, soda, plates+cups), Sticky Buns (I'm tempted to bring myself, but I'll probably make something healthier.), neek (squash bread), zephyr (iced tea, lemonade to sweeten with, fresh lemons, & ice. Also two bottles of sparkling peach-flavored apple juice.), Ira (cake)

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:22 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 3:42 pm 
In honor of the 10th anniversary of the NWHikers calendar, Nancyann has graciously volunteered to organize this years potluck social and has reserved the Auditorium at University Heights for Friday, Dec 14, 7-10 PM (Map & Directions). The social will be free to attend (thanks to all who use our Amazon shopping link [more info] which covers our hosting and social costs). This year we will be sponsoring a SAR fundraiser. If you can, please bring a little extra to donate to a very worthy cause, in addition to a dish for the potluck. Logistics are still being worked out but we hope to have a guest SAR presentation to complement the calendar presentation. Edit: Polls have closed for the "10th anniversary edition" of the NWHikers calendar and the top 2 in each category are revealed here (first place will be revealed at the social). Looking forward to yet another amazing calendar (thanks to the many talented contributors in this community) and seeing all who are able to attend this years social event!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm 
Tom wrote:
"...the Auditorium at University Heights..."
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what's the address? dizzy.gif I don't suppose anybody wants pie again?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 5:27 pm 
We are really excited to be able to get the newly renovated Auditorium in the old University Heights Schoolhouse, 5031 University Way N.E., in the University District of Seattle, where many previous NWHikers socials were held. Kim Brown is still working out the details for the Seattle Mountain Rescue guest speaker, but this will be a great opportunity to show how much we value the countless hours SAR volunteers donate. We hope to see an impressive turnout of NWHikers to help celebrate our Tenth Annual Calendar Contest and Social! Please post your name in the wiki if you are planning on coming, and if you know what you are going to bring to the potluck, feel free to list that as well. Of course we want pie again, it was delicious last time. hungry.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 6:10 pm 
okay... I was guessing it was that place, but wasn't sure. great venue! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 pm 
Ha! I couldn't attend last year because I had minor surgery that day; this year, I have minor surgery the day after the party. I wonder what the deal will be next year.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Damian

Damian
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 10:08 pm 
So which part of you is minor? Cause it must be getting better after all these surgeries. Hope I can make it.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am 
Yay! It's always a fun time!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
Yay! It's always a fun time!
Yeah, I've made it a time or two, but going to miss it this year by a few days. I really would like to visit with fellow hikers face to face, but.... Oh, well....next time maybe.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:11 pm 
Quote:
Please post your name in the wiki if you are planning on coming
Where is this wiki?

"May you live in interesting times"
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 5:22 pm 
DadFly wrote:
Where is this wiki?
First post at the top of the page - hit edit and add your name

nordique

nordique
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 5:54 pm 
Well, I've never attended any of these gatherings, after decades as a follower and lurker, but this year I might be able to talk my wife into driving me to this evening event. I no longer drive after dark, tuckered out as I am after organizing and leading three hikes and three Vertical World sessions a week since I retired a decade ago. And I mostly post my hikes on WTA only, since that's where I go for trip reports. I go to NW Hikers Net for information and entertainment! Since this thread mentions surgeries, I should note that none of my seven right leg surgeries have been minor, as they include right knee and right ankle replacements. Even so, I've managed to do 94 hikes so far this year, for a total of 427 miles, with 122,390 feet of vertical gain, plus 57 climbing days at Vertical World in Seattle. Now, where did I leave my cane? And tomorrow is another Vertical World climbing day! Indoor climbing is way easier than hiking!
Shawangunks, New York State
Shawangunks, New York State

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 pm 
Those are some pretty amazing stats, Nordique, I hope to see you both there!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 12:29 am 
Thank you for organizing this. Great idea to include support for SAR.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 pm 
Matt wrote:
Thank you for organizing this. Great idea to include support for SAR.
I agree!

When I grow up I wanna play.