Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Rainier all trails finisher (Silver Forest/Tipsoo/Silver Falls/Crystal Lake 10.11.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 pm 
My project for this season was to set foot on every trail in MRNP. Today I tied up the loose ends by hiking the Silver Forest trail out of Sunrise (at sunrise), then I drove to Chinook Pass and hiked around Tipsoo Lake, then drove to Ohanapecosh campground (now closed) and hiked the Silver Falls loop trail, then drove back to 410 and hit the last section above Upper Crystal Lake (a connector trail to the PCT and the park boundary). Although it was below freezing at Sunrise when I arrived prior to the actual sunrise, the perplexing Silver Forest trail was positioned perfectly for a sunrise time lapse. Bob at Wapiti Woolies thinks this Silver Forest trail used to go all the way to Sunrise Point, but now it just sort of ends after .8 miles. This was a pleasant way to spend the early morning.
Early morning Silver Forest trail
Early morning Silver Forest trail
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sun hits trail on the return
Sun hits trail on the return
Last shot of the sunrise time lapse
Last shot of the sunrise time lapse
Sunrise at Sunrise
Sunrise at Sunrise
Ice covered log
Ice covered log
I had only been to Tipsoo Lake once before in the early 80's when it was covered by snow in early July, so this time I hiked around and hit all the short trails in the area inside the park boundary. I quite enjoyed the frozen landscape and the perfectly still waters with the added bonus of no summer crowds.
Parking lot shadow auras
Parking lot shadow auras
Another sunrise
Another sunrise
Tipsoo Lake
Tipsoo Lake
Tipsoo Lake2
Tipsoo Lake2
Tipsoo Lake3
Tipsoo Lake3
Then I was off to Ohanapecosh to finish the Silver Falls loop trail. I had been on the northern section of this when I did the East Eastern loop (Laughingwater Creek trail to the PCT to Chinook Pass, then the East Side trail back) but needed to do the entire loop, all 2.7 miles of it. By now it was getting slightly warmer and this old growth forest trail was awash in golden understory, making for one of the most pleasant forest walks I have had all year. Fantastic.
Forest delights
Forest delights
Silver Falls loop trail
Silver Falls loop trail
Silver Falls from afar
Silver Falls from afar
Silver Falls
Silver Falls
Return on Silver Falls trail
Return on Silver Falls trail
Typical understory
Typical understory
Although I had done Crystal Peak and the Crystal Lakes trail in early June (somewhat snow covered), when I perused one of the maps a few weeks ago I noticed a 1 mile section that climbs above the upper lake and connects to the PCT right at the park boundary at Sourdough Gap. Well, I can't claim to have hiked every trail (maintained) in the park if I didn't get this bit, so back I went and enjoyed another pleasant forest walk on excellent trail, climbing from 3600' to Sourdough Gap at the park boundary at 6300'. I ran into two people coming down and a park biologist for a nice chat. She overheard some people with dogs who came off the PCT and were discussing whether to chance the "no pets" sign. They did, and while I was enjoying some frolicking fowl on my return to the upper lake I heard a big splash. As they approached I reminded them that no dogs were allowed in the park, but the woman acted like she didn't know. The dude said "I just wanted to check out the lakes". I guess that makes it OK then. The biologist said that dog crap is a danger to the endemic Cascade red fox, which can get very ill and die if it eats the droppings. The Husky was a friendly pup at least. 'Nuff said.
Upper Crystal Lake
Upper Crystal Lake
Lower Crystal Lake
Lower Crystal Lake
Upper Crystal Lake approaching PCT
Upper Crystal Lake approaching PCT
Hide and Seek
Hide and Seek
Crisp fall skies
Crisp fall skies
Frolicking fowls
Frolicking fowls
"I'm special!"
"I'm special!"
I made good time on the downhill and made it back to my vehicle by 4, capping off one of the most pleasant days I have had outside all year. Stats 17 miles/3400' My forays into the park this year have totaled 539 miles with 111,000' of elevation. Some highlights: Hardest day (+) hiking: 57 miles/16,000' Best bike day: 89 miles/10,200' Coolest loop: Huckleberry/Grand Park 26 miles/6,600' Longest day for the shortest trail tick off: Natural Bridge trail (.7 miles), where I biked the Ipsut creek trail and hiked the NLT for a day's total of 27 miles/5,200' Most miserable day for weather: West Side Road walk/bike for Gobblers Knob and trail to the boundary: 24 miles/5,100' (but lots of fun with my daughter) Best time: bagging Echo, Observation, Hessong and Pleasant with my daughter in primo weather Smokiest day: Brown, Slide, Palisades Most ashamed hike: Tolmie Peak (really, never going here over 35 years?) Easiest trail: Crystal Mtn Trail...with poor weather, my buddy and I took the gondola up and down instead of doing the planned loop, having lunch and wine whilst watching it snow. I've consolidated all my MRNP hikes on my blog in one section for this year if anyone is interested.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 pm 
fabulous! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
stever

stever
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 8:14 am 
57 miles in one day! WOW! I got tired reading that....in all seriousness great job completing all these hikes and providing all of the great photos and trip reports. Seeing the dog photo reminded me this was the first year in the past 5 I have hiked up at Rainier I didn't see some bozo with their dog on the trails in the park. Like you I got the same response when I said something to the owners ranging from "I didn't know" or "really, you can't bring dogs?" the latter said to me a few feet from a sign that said no dogs in the park on the trails. SR

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:55 am 
Congrats, Steve. You did it! I thoroughly enjoyed viewing your superb pictures and reading the narrative, even more so on your blog. Thanks for making it available. Next year maybe we'll finally get up Little T!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still