Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 am 
Unless things have changed recently, e-bikes are outlawed in NYC. The cops have been confiscating the bikes of delivery people in the snooty part of the city. Driving in CA's wine country can be frustrating when you get stuck behind bikers who are not single file or even trying to stay over. The roads are winding and sight distance is limited. Once again, a few jerks make it bad. I've also been told by a CA native that if you hit a bike, no matter what, you will be considered to be at fault. There are jerks on bikes and jerks in vehicles and when the two meet..... I was coaled while pedaling my mountain bike up a hill on the side of highway 12 outside of Randle. It wasn't a local that did it. I was well over on the edge of the shoulder. They were jerks. I almost had a heart attack while driving through the tunnel near Rimrock Lake. I entered at highway speed, saw a very thin whitish thing, which turned out to be a single reflective stripe on the back of a bike rider. He/she had no lights on and no other reflective gear. No cars were coming so I was able to go around, but goodness! It was a close call. I was scared silly. I've never seen a bicycle rider in that tunnel before. Nor have my friends.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Unless things have changed recently, e-bikes are outlawed in NYC
Technically I suppose this is true. Ebikes delivering take out however are everywhere. As I mentioned earlier swarms of dirt bikes and ATVs regularly razz down the avenues N of Central park pulling wheelies and running red lights for many blocks. I've saw the police give chase exactly once in two years. Ebikes might be illegal, but the NYC police are pretty busy with more pressing issues to bother someone delivering food, unless they are involved in an injury accident.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 am 
iron wrote:
i've always felt that slow traffic is more dangerous b/c they can make sharp turns, open doors, etc. 60 mph traffic, while very deadly, is less likely to have this issue.
Well, I must admit I was surprised by how safe I felt cycling in Manhattan. It didn't meet my expectations. I was also surprised by how friendly and helpful NYC residents were. For example: Pushing a stroller with my twin granddaughters towards a subway stairway, random strangers just say let me help you and help carry the stroller and girls down or up the stairs.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm 
Took the Volton El Legs Express out for a ride today and took a few phone pics. On the port side it looks a little less stealth with the motor visible but from the other side you wouldn't really know it's an e-bike without looking carefully.
Volton El Legs Express
Volton El Legs Express
Phantom Lake
Phantom Lake
Volton El Legs Express (Starboard)
Volton El Legs Express (Port)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm 
It's hard for me to tell from the pics but is it a brand new bike? Our state has passed a law or a committee made a rule that new bikes now have to have labeling on them declaring them to be an e-bike. I have read where folks are putting black tape over it on black bikes, or plan to paint over...all this on the bike forum I read part of. I think we are going riding tomorrow if I am recovered from the flu shot. My arm feels like it got kicked by a horse.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 8:07 pm 
How much does your Volton weigh?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm 
treeswarper, I believe that's part of the model e-bike regulation adopted by only a handful of states (CA, UT, AR, IL, MI, TN and WA). Here is what the WA regulations say:
Quote:
Beginning July 1, 2018, manufacturers or distributors of new electric-assisted bicycles for sale or distribution in Washington must permanently affix in a prominent location on the electric-ssisted bicycle a label that contains the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage. Individuals may not tamper or modify an electric-assisted bicycle to change the speed capability unless the label is appropriately replaced.
Mine is a brand new 2017 model purchased and shipped from a Volton re-seller in Wyoming. They likely took delivery from Volton before the model regulations were enacted in MI (where Volton is based). I don't see any sticker on my bike but it's not too hard to figure out it's a class 2.
Riverside Laker wrote:
How much does your Volton weigh?
A little over 40 pounds (which is about 20 pounds lighter than most e-bikes sold to the mass market).

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
On the port side it looks a little less stealth with the motor visible but from the other side you wouldn't really know it's an e-bike without looking carefully.
or know what VOLT means. wink.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 am 
Yup, I knew it was a state thing. Whilst looking that up, I also saw where the "where you can ride" was also changed. I fear even more rules will restrict e-bikes as there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding, fear, and the old "you need to work hard to use this trail" feeling about them. Funny, I have had rancher looking guys in ginormous diesel pickups pull up beside me and start asking questions and actually saying maybe they should get an e-bike and get a bit more exercise. We will be returning to ride in the Cameron Lake area today. It was fun in the spring and should be fun in the fall. It is a maintained gravel county road and a whole four cars went by us last time we rode it. Enjoy your bike. They are fun.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I just wish I could find THE bike seat to use.
A company called Fabric makes excellent saddles. They have a gel one for upright bikes.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:43 pm 
Tom wrote:
A little over 40 pounds
That's a pretty good weight. I think an E-bike is in my future, once I get over the do-it-yourself phase I've been in the past 6 decades. The next decade everything changes!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm 
Actually, that was Volton's spec (they claim 41 pounds). liar.gif I'm chagrined to report after putting it on my scale the true weight is closer to 48 pounds. smackbum.gif

Damian

Damian
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 pm 
What's wrong with that? I read a scale the same way embarassedlaugh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:02 am 
I'm looking forward to seeing e-bikes with Bafang's M600 motor in 2019. It was announced last year but so far none have made it to the US. I noticed this come up on alibaba. Min order of 5. Not sure if it's legit but the price is right. Who's in for a group order? clown.gif Sadly with the new e-bike tariff add 25% (plus shipping). https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-configuration-electric-mountain-bike-with_60801788665.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 6:32 am 
Maybe my buns are getting used to it. We went 12 miles yesterday. The Slightly Used Dog starts slowing down after 9 miles, but can perk up even after that. Four pickups went by in all that time. Must've been rush hour. Rang our bells at cows. Used two bars of power.