Forum Index > Trail Talk > Verlot Phone being Removed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pm 
I think the goodwill issue is a pretty big one here (to Iron's comment)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm 
iron wrote:
does anyone know where cell service cuts out? i bet it extends east of verlot anyway.
Most of the Mtn Loop not far out of Granite Falls is out of range. My provider uses Sprint; it is very spotty; so that range can't be relied on. Not everyone has a cell phone.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:58 pm 
Schroder wrote:
We used to keep a Mountain Rescue team on standby in Silverton because of the phone situation and the frequency of accidents. The time to get out to Granite Falls does make a difference.
Could be longer than 15 minutes, too. And the risk of an accident while speeding, trying to pass cars, etc. to get to a closer phone is greater when the nearest phone is farther away.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 am 
iron wrote:
does anyone know where cell service cuts out? i bet it extends east of verlot anyway.
My AT&T is donezo as soon as the highway drops downhill right outside of town. Also spotty reception on certain parts of the long steep hill past the Masonic temple. I had 4 bars on Vesper but it would only allow emergency calls, no texts.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 am 
iron wrote:
It does not. It does not even extend TO Verlot on the Mountain Loop Highway (on much higher ground in places there is cell service). At best, you might be able to get service on the hills mentioned above, depending on your service provider, but there is no reliable cell service on the Mountain Loop Highway east of Granite Falls.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 2:19 pm 
There is a spot on the south side of Sand Hill about 3/4 way up heading east from granite falls where there is cell service. It's about 6 miles west of the Verlot ranger station. They also reinstalled a pay phone at the verlot store (not green gables, but the other one).

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm 
Yana wrote:
there is no reliable cell service on the Mountain Loop Highway east of Granite Falls.
I can confirm this. We camp at Verlot every summer. Whenever someone needs to get an update on email or get cell service for some other reason they drive back toward Granite Falls. If you're lucky you may pick up a signal on the hill where the Robe Valley trailhead is, but usually not. Most often we need to drive all the way to the Stillaguamish bridge by the falls before a signal kicks in.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 pm 
puzzlr - you can also try driving up the road toward the Pilchuck trailhead. I have service in a couple of spots well before the TR (but after Heather Lake TH) with Verizon.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
shaunt59

shaunt59
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 pm 
Cell service is lost merely minutes after crossing the first bridge (at the fish ladder) well before Verlot. That's for T-Mobile at least. I assume Verizon extends a bit further. Anyway, this is also a testament to the increasing number of satellite-based services and phones which avid hikers and backpackers are now using to summon first-aid in the event of emergency. I would still favor a payphone, since I'd estimate about 99% of big four visitors don't subscribe to a satellite phone service.

shaunt59

shaunt59
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 pm 
I find it intriguing that the community seems to identify big four as the main reason for pandering to a payphone on the loop. People will never stop going inside the ice caves, even if the hike becomes permanently closed or they work in the new additions. It's tragic. shakehead.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:13 pm 
Prior to the road being washed away, Monte Cristo was the area with the greatest number of accidents rather than Big 4. In fact, there were no accidents over a 30 year period involving the ice caves. This is a recent phenomena. Maybe people used to have more common sense not to go in them in hot weather.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
I mentioned Big 4 because after the last 2 incidents, there was outcry that there is no cell service on the Mtn Loop and no payphone at the trail head. Plus there is currently a public outreach program in process that is asking the public for their opinions on what to do about educating visitors of Big 4 hazards. So - Big 4 mentions - relevant.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 pm 
County, forest service install new payphone in Verlot On the Mountain Loop Highway, where cell service is nonexistent, there are few options to call 911. By Zachariah Bryan Monday, October 15, 2018 10:35am LOCAL NEWS GRANITE FALLS VERLOT — A rare event in the United States took place in Verlot on Oct. 8: A new pay phone was installed at the U.S. Forest Service ranger station. Strange as it may seem, it puts to rest nearly a year of uncertainty. On the Mountain Loop Highway, where lack of service transforms the ubiquitous cellphone into a paperweight, payphones become an important public safety asset. So when Frontier Communications announced plans to remove its Verlot payphone in November, firefighters and police became alarmed. Frontier agreed to reinstall the phone and to keep it going indefinitely, but with the informal agreement that someone else would bring a more permanent solution. Snohomish County and U.S. Forest Service agreed that they would foot the bill for a new phone. The county is paying the annual service costs to the tune of $500 per year, while the forest service paid for the equipment itself, totaling about $1,000. The phone can make free 911, local, and 1-800 calls without a coin or other charge. A calling card can be used for long distance calls. “Working with our local partners, we are proud to keep this critical public safety tool available for those instances when emergency services are needed,” said Colton Whitworth, a spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service. “We encourage the public to enjoy the beautiful and remote areas under our management, and this phone provides an extra level of security for all.” The Mountain Loop Highway provides access to some of the region’s most popular, beautiful and dangerous outdoor destinations. The Big Four Ice Caves alone draw some 50,000 visitors annually. Yet there is little to no cellphone coverage between the highway’s bookends at Granite Falls and Darrington. Most 911 calls along the Loop — including those reporting deadly collapses at the ice caves — come from the pay phone at the Verlot Public Service Center. The U.S. Forest Service owns the ranger station, which is about 11 miles east of Granite Falls. “The Verlot ranger station phone has saved countless lives in the past, and we are committed to preserving this important public safety tool,” said Dave Somers, Snohomish County executive, in a news release. “We appreciate our partnership with the United States Forest Service and Snohomish County 911, both of whom share our concerns about public safety.” After tightening the screws on Oct. 8, county technician Richard Bake picked up the new phone for the first time. He could hear a dial tone. The phone had service — something public officials weren’t expecting for maybe another week. He decided to place the first call: 911. He told a person on the other end of the line that he wanted to test if the phone would work. There was a pause as the person responded. “Thank you,” Bake said. Then he put the phone back on the hook. Zachariah Bryan: 425-339-3431; zbryan@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @zachariahtb.