Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacker Missing From Near Timberline Lodge Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 3:38 pm 
Very sad. We will never know the whole story. Re breaking up a group on a trail hike: I usually don't see a problem so long as everyone knows where they are, knows where they are going, has a map and compass, knows how to use them and there's an agreement re meeting at the end of the hike. OTOH, breaking up the group on an off-trail route too often results in trouble.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 4:27 pm 
My general test on trail hiking is that it's fine so long as I'm not too far ahead that I wouldn't be able/willing to backtrack and check on the trailing partner if he or she failed to show up after a reasonable amount of time. Of course, that rule would not have helped here, because the partner actually did go back to try and find him and it turned out he hiked up the mountain a couple thousand feet. But looking into this more, I'm realizing there is perhaps another lesson, which is to generally wait at every intersection even if you go ahead. I always do so unless I'm 100% sure my trailing partner independently knows the way to turn. Looks like there are some intersections near Timberline Lodge that could have at least initially led to the deceased hiker going astray. Again though, this is not to blame the partner here.

gb

gb
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 1:54 pm 
Schroder wrote:
They split up in the morning and the partner says it was clear visibility
You swallowed a one liner but he said visibility was good, not clear. It was not clear. Humidity at all Timberline stations was 100% and there was steady rain all day (each hour but one adding up to 2" total). The steady precipitation of moderate amounts shows that it was overcast (likely obscured) well above the ski area elevations. In fact, the same report you cited said it snowed in the area where the body was found on Monday. This situation with the victim becoming disoriented only makes sense in light of the actual weather conditions. In 100% humidity visibility would be (is) extremely limited.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 pm 
ok so I've seen no comments or reports about the following:.. experience level ? dayhiking or overnight?... related to gear?..if not familiar with terrain, maps? altimeters?? phones? really wish the specifics would come out in these unfortunate incidents. Thanks for the specifics on weather...hope we can all learn from this, and as said above simple mistakes can be compounded by weather,comunication ect...

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
experience level ?
Unknown, but seemingly not their first backpacking adventure.
forest gnome wrote:
dayhiking or overnight?
They were hiking the Timberline Trail I believe.
forest gnome wrote:
related to gear?
He had tent and sleeping gear. Not sure if he had a stove. He had at least some food.
forest gnome wrote:
if not familiar with terrain, maps? altimeters?? phones?
He was from Arizona so I am not sure exactly how familiar he was with the area. Unknown whether he had navigation gear. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm 
I don't want to start a riot, but this does seem like a case where backtracking would have helped.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
I don't want to start a riot, but this does seem like a case where backtracking would have helped.
In cases like this, "bending the map" is a common error. So whether he had a physical map or just one in his head, he quite possibly made the scene in front of his eyes conform to that map. By the time he realized his mistake, it was too late. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm 
The law enforcement video indicates he may have taken a fall. So he may have been lost and injured as well as exhausted. Not a good combination.

gb

gb
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
In cases like this, "bending the map" is a common error. So whether he had a physical map or just one in his head, he quite possibly made the scene in front of his eyes conform to that map. By the time he realized his mistake, it was too late. Rumi
I doubt there was anything in front of his eyes but fog and rain/snow mixed. In 1980 near Mt. Waddington a storm came in rapidly in late September and a day that began as beautiful changed to snow in six hours. We could not with falling snow go down the route we came up and so had to navigate in snowfall for three days around the mountain. At one point in snow we climbed about 1000', not realizing we were doing that. A cliffy view caused us to reconsider what we had done and we dropped back down to the rain/snow line to continue our traverse. In 100% humidity and with numerous users trails and only cursory awareness of the terrain this is undoubtedly what happened to the victim.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm 
I would guess that since he was already fatigued and wanting to rest, he may already have been in the beginning stages of hypothermia, which does create mental confusion, when he took the wrong trail and started going up.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
he may already have been in the beginning stages of hypothermia, which does create mental confusion
good point