Forum Index > Trip Reports > Choral Pk via Anthem creek basin 10/15/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 am 
Tis the season for another good larch report! This was my larch baptism day, ive never really been out during prime larch season and wasnt sure where to go. I knew i was goin somewhere because i came across Aaron Wilson's larch report and knew i would be calling in sick monday, bahaha! banana.gif I then came across a pic of Choral Pk in Geyer's recent tr on Emerald Pk, it looked pretty badass! I was going to take the Fern Lake approach but didnt want that much distance, then i came across Wildernessed's nice tr on the Anthem creek basin approach! There's 3 nwhikers that helped me out lol, i need all the help i can get! agree.gif Thanks a lot guys btw! So the mission was on, i was stoked to get some good larching in and made the 4 1/2hr drive to the Entiat River Th. The plan was to wake at 5am and go. I forgot how hard it is to get out of a warm car and start hiking in these cold ass autumn mornings! I ended up leaving the car at 8am lol. I made quick time through the burned out forest to the "T" where you take the switchbacks up the side of Duncan Hill, and there is about 58 of them! moon.gif The grade of the trail is nice the switchbacks just seem endless on the way back down. Around switchback #58 you come to another "T", there is a old burnt metal sign on the ground take left here. I missed this and climbed 300ft up towards Duncan before i figured it out. From the "T" the trail is not maintained but never gets too bad, just 10-15 easy blowdowns to negotiate. I followed the trail til it crossed Anthem creek. This was the off trail portion, i follwed the creek up to 6400ft and started to get some larches, the stoke was high! I left the creek and started in a more northerly direction, travel was pleasant on slabs and more and "Larches"! At 7000ft you reach Anthem creek basin!! eek.gif Larch Freakin Insanity!! They were probably a few days past their prime but i know no bettter, right?! smile.gif Also got my first glimpse of Choral Pk, and a beaut she is! Oh and i appologize for all the pics but yall know how it is by now lol.
Garland,Devils smokestack, and rampart from the burn
Garland,Devils smokestack, and rampart from the burn
The smokestack, rampart and 5th of july
The smokestack, rampart and 5th of july
My last little climb up the creek before i veered off
My last little climb up the creek before i veered off
Its just beginning
Its just beginning
Beauty
Beauty
Contrails over anthem pk
Contrails over anthem pk
Its a larch party up in here
Its a larch party up in here
Up in da basin
Up in da basin
Larch grove grooviness
Larch grove grooviness
This basin is something else
This basin is something else
I made my way very slowly through the basin taking it all in, wow ive never seen trees so hard to take your eyes off of! It was such an incredible change to go from gnarly burned out forest to the serenity of the larch kingdom i now found myself in! On my way to Choral i thought the nearest summit was the true one, so i bee-lined it straight up the thing rather than go to the col above choral lake(mistake, dont do this). I found some good class 3 up there! Once i got to the highpoint the main summit came into view, dammit i was on a sub summit just to the S. This, ladies and gentleman is why i should just stick with the program and not take shortcuts haha. I had to downclimb about 100ft, i found some good class 4 up there. lol.gif I found a nice gully class 3 to finish off the last 200ft, and the views were astounding! Only other peak ive done around here is Reynolds so this area amazes me with how big it actually is! The views of the burn in the entiat are something else too! I think this area must be the larch capital of the world, i mean damn, larch groves on every damn ridge and basin everywhere!! As you can tell i was pretty excited! This peak also has one of the best registers ive seen too, dating back to 1985. Its seen few visitors this year!
The col i shoulda went to first
The col i shoulda went to first
Goin up towards what i thought was true, true summit is back right
Goin up towards what i thought was true, true summit is back right
Higher
Higher
Basin below
Basin below
Stuart range on horizon
Stuart range on horizon
First views next door, emerald cardinal
First views next door, emerald cardinal
The true one from sub peak
The true one from sub peak
Yours truly on top at last
Yours truly on top at last
Cardinal, friends
Cardinal, friends
Fernow, friends
Fernow, friends
Dakobeds, gp
Dakobeds, gp
Fernow and friends
Fernow and friends
Cheers to all
Cheers to all
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Gopher saska emerald
Gopher saska emerald
Anthem peak and basin
Anthem peak and basin
The sub peak in which i so willingly climbed
The sub peak in which i so willingly climbed
1400ft down to the larches, a lot has been burned down there
1400ft down to the larches, a lot has been burned down there
The basin from which i emerged
The basin from which i emerged
I chilled on the summit for a good 1.5 hrs. Spectacular all around, a great day to be alive indeed. I kept it classy and sipped on some jim beam up there while looking for future endeavors. I headed down a nice little gully system then worked my way to the col above the lake to see what that was all about. It was pretty cool too then i meandered my way down sandy slopes and back through the larch kingdom again! rocker.gif This was a proper trip for my first larch viewing i cant wait til next year! I took my time through the basin and made good time the rest of the way out including the endless 58 switchbacks. Talked to and saw only a handfull of hunters the whole day, and that was down on the entiat river! 8am leave car, 1130am larch mania begins, 130pm choral summit, 430pm larch mania ends, 830pm 4.5hr drive begins.
Gully i went up/down
Gully i went up/down
Scramble terrain on choral
Scramble terrain on choral
Choral lake
Choral lake
I call this one The col and i
I call this one The col and i
North ridge, looks a little easier than my way
North ridge, looks a little easier than my way
Into thy golden kingdom
Into thy golden kingdom
Sands below col
Sands below col
Moonshot
Moonshot
Choral again
Choral again
Gettin shady
Gettin shady
Cant get enough
Cant get enough
Endless larch groves
Endless larch groves
Slabs just below basin
Slabs just below basin
Goin back down anthem creek
Goin back down anthem creek

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 am 
that's a beautiful basin. thanks for the report on approaching Choral from that side.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Great trip report and larchy pictures! It looks like you put together an awesome larch baptism! It was so great to wake up this morning and read another amazing larch report, because despite my best laid plans to do the same, instead, I have been home sick for three miserable days with the flu. rant.gif NWHikers to the rescue, helps keeps my spirits up! up.gif

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 pm 
Good one Ozzy

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 pm 
A whole bunch of great camp spots in your photos. up.gif Even saw the names of friends in the summit register.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Even saw the names of friends in the summit register.
THAT was a trip down memory lane, thanks so much for posting pics of summit registers =great memories The spectacular pictures are a nice touch, too!

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
geyer

geyer
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 pm 
This is sweet ozzy! From the angle of my picture, I would have thought it was a technical climb, but there always seems to be a scramble route on most of these cascade peaks