Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sahale Arm and Sahale Glacier Camp - 10.16.2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm 
Cascade Pass is advertised by the North Cascades National Park as the most popular day hike in the park... but oh my, don't stop at the pass... instead, turn north at the pass and follow the Sahale Arm Trail up onto the arm... and if time and energy permit, continue on up to Sahale Glacier Camp... and for the really energetic, go ahead and gain another 1000 feet of elevation on up to the Sahale summit. We didn't make the summit (I didn't have the energy), but we did get to the high camp. 0.0 miles (~3640')... park at the end of the Cascade River Road and start hiking on Cascade Pass Trail. 3.4 miles (~5400')... reach Cascade Pass. 5.8 miles (~7640')... reach Sahale Glacier Camp. 8.2 miles (~5400')... return to Cascade Pass. 11.6 miles (~3640').. get in the car and drive home. We started hiking at 8:45am (a 2.5 hour drive from the NE 65th P&R in Seattle)... got to high camp at 1pm... lounged around on warm rocks at high camp for almost two hours hours before heading down at 2:45pm... taking our time in getting back to the car at 6:15pm. Awesome views that grew with every step that we took above Cascade Pass. 11.6 miles roundtrip, gaining 4358 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to Sahale Arm and Sahale Glacier Camp. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gray matter

gray matter
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:50 pm 
Great photos! up.gif Can you provide any more beta about the sahale glacier? Is this one that is crevassed, or one that can be navigated safely without the use of a rope team? I haven't ventured to this area yet.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 pm 
I was up there several weeks ago. The glacier is pretty mellow. If there are any crevasses I think they can easily be avoided. Pretty sure climbers solo up the glacier, I don't think roping up is necessary. edited--here's a pic from a few weeks ago with a pair of climbers for perspective, don't see any cracks in the glacier

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:02 pm 
Looks like the colors are holding on up there. It was fantastic several weeks ago. Yeah, from the trailhead to Cascade Pass is graded like the PCT, with about twice as many switchbacks as are needed.

ira

ira
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:20 pm 
you don't need to rope up to go up the sahale glacier as long as you stay on the established route. it is a glacier, so there are some crevasses but it is quite mellow. that said, you should have an ice axe and crampons with you and know how to use them. there is class 3-4 route to the summit along with class 5 routes, but don't attempt unless you know you can downclimb what you climbed up, which is much harder.

-ira
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:29 pm 
Great place. I was up there last Sunday.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 pm 
nice pika shot Opus!

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 am 
The never ending switchbacks to Cascade Pass (even worse on the way back) are the price you pay for this.
Ira near Cascade Pass
Ira near Cascade Pass
Heading for the Arm
Heading for the Arm
Above Cascade Pass
Above Cascade Pass
Doubtful Lake
Doubtful Lake
Sahale Peak
Sahale Peak
Snowmelt tarn and Eldorado
Snowmelt tarn and Eldorado
Sahale Camp rocks
Sahale Camp rocks
Sahale close-up
Sahale close-up
Sahale camp
Sahale camp
Returning to Cascade Pass
Returning to Cascade Pass
Must we leave?
Must we leave?

Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm 
Great report and photos. Years ago we set up our tent on rocks just below the snow and a ranger told us we could not camp there but needed to go up and set up our tent on the snow. So we hiked up the snow to where there was a huge boulder, maybe 8 ft wide and 14 ft long (surrounded by snow) and set up our yellow MSR tent on that rock. I did not see that huge boulder in your photos. As I recall that boulder was not very far from the summit rock block.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 5:38 pm 
Another great report from the R&R team. Lots of color up there. Thanks for bringing us along.
Opus wrote:
Is this a privy? Looks pretty industrial strength. ~z

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm 
gray matter wrote:
Can you provide any more beta about the sahale glacier? Is this one that is crevassed, or one that can be navigated safely without the use of a rope team?
I remember big crevasses on the Sahale Glacier in the 1970s, but it is stagnating and there haven't been large crevasses in at least a decade that I am aware of. Will someone correct this if you know differently? Still, even a narrow crevasse can be a danger, so be particularly attentive in bad weather if you can't clearly see your route.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
gbanks19

gbanks19
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:33 pm 
There are a lot of layers to your question. I know someone said roping up is not necessary and that crevasses can be easily avoided, but you have to assess things based on your own risk and knowledge level. I can't say with any certainty, but in the picture from his comment, there is a linear horizontal irregularity on the glacier that is suspicious. Be careful. Try to cross early rather than late in the afternoon. Don't make obviously poor decisions like glissading on a glacier or wondering freely. Don't go on a glacier when you are the only person on the mountain, especially if you don't have glacier travel experience. In the end, the views will be no better on the other side. If your goal is summit a mountain strictly because a glacier stands between you and the summit, maybe your real goal is get into glacier mountaineering and train with a guide or knowledgable friend? A summer devoted to that purpose could have you climbing Baker or Rainier by the end.

George Banks