Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bulging disc
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 am 
I had a few minor back injuries as a teenager that gave me somewhat limited range of motion, but then I darn near destroyed myself having a baby. shakehead.gif It's taken 13 years of aggressive self-rehab but I can finally do a pretty good back bend backwards without locking up in just the last year or two, and the sciatica is down to a minimal PITA (literally, lol). Bike riding, lifting, and yoga have all helped. I can tell you I'm still not quite balanced between the left and right hips and my gait is somewhat affected, but I keep working on it. I would have gladly done PT but between work and family I couldn't figure out how to realistically schedule it in.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
oldgranola

oldgranola
PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 pm 
Wished I'd had some of the advice you folks are saying way back mid 90s. My fkn doc told me I'm done backpacking and certainly climbing. Said I need to watch out and not stress the back or it would get worse. No packs. I was supposed to chill, not move too much for a long while, particularly not yoga. I followed his advice. Got drunk. Got super fat, unhappy, and more problems as you can imagine. A bar stool friend 'intermediate class Mountaineers' got tired of me telling 'old tails' and got me going. Kicked my ass good even on my auld haunts. Yes it hurt.Triggered finally getting a hip replacement too. But much yoga, much cycling, then putting the boots back on with an uphill program got me 'back' in. Have had many fantastic times in the Cascades and elsewhere since plus a much better base-line every day activity level. Learned to love finding those secret trails and forgotten high points. I do have to be careful, work the core, mind my form. But life is so much better uphill. Now my buddy is ailing. I hope I can get him back up but looks like a tough road. Soloing mostly. Maximize and enjoy what health and training affords.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm 
I herniated my S7(?) disc back in 1991. In 2007 it pinched the nerve and caused exquisite pain. I went in to see a spinal doctor who said I could either use PT to strengthen and help alleviate the pain or get a discectomy. I didn't want any future possibility of another pinched nerve so I opted for the surgery. It was the right choice for me. I still have back issues due to muscle damage associated with the injury, but none with the spine. PT assisted with regaining muscle control and core strengthening which made a big difference in recovery and rehab.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
I bulged a disc in my low back seven or eight years ago while sledding with my youngest child. The plywood deck of the Radio Flyer we were on broke under my ass. The result was excruciating sciatica. The ultimate solution for me was a combination of strengthening my core (first through PT and later by hitting the gym religiously) and a stand up desk. I've been pain free for several years now and am stronger than ever (I can squat, deadlift and bench press more than I could in high school, and I'm almost 55). I recommend seeing a good PT. At a minimum explore all your options before making a decision. Most people go with the first recommendation from a medical professional.

oldgranola

oldgranola
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:53 pm 
See, its incredibly varied. There's no one answer EXCEPT don't give up and send yourself to pasture. Maybe some time off did help with healing etc but definitely had to get back in, not the 'you are done doing that forever' response. I did have to have rescue cervical spinal cord surgery but for a totally unrelated issue, assault. My current MRI is quite scary, back looks totally hosed with bulging discs all along. Have to just ignore, what the heck...Its just a picture, I'm doing fine with lots of ongoing uphill work