Forum Index > Trip Reports > fern lake, anthem peak twice (almost) - 10/16 - 10/17 - lost boot!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 pm 
Everybody and their brother went to Fern lake last fall but no one has mentioned it yet this year, so Ruby dog and I put on our best blaze orange and went to check it out this week. Plenty of hunters about midweek in the Entiat but we only ran into a handful on the north fork trail and heard one shot. Saw zero deer. The route is as described in previous reports but a bunch (10-15) of blowdowns on the lower part of the fern lake trail have been cleared. 25 or so remain as you climb higher. It took us about 4.5 hours to get to the lake. After setting up camp and lounging for a bit, we took a walk up Anthem for sunset. Just as we reached the steeper scrambly part of the ridge, I noticed that Ruby was missing a bootie. These were brand new, bought to replace the three she lost on our previous trip. (Thanks again to twodogdad for the first pair - they lasted longer than I expected!) We continued up to Anthem where we had gorgeous views of larch-filled Anthem creek valley and beyond. We hurried down to the lake as the sun set, me keeping an eye out for the missing bootie, with no luck. The night and morning seemed incredibly warm - low 40s maybe - which made it easy to get up for sunrise. After photos and breakfast we walked back up the ridge toward anthem to look for the bootie again. We turned around at the base of the steep section, no bootie to be found. We left fern at 10:45, got back to the car at 2:15, and headed to Leavenworth for a couple days of rest/ work before our next adventure. Just a few photos for now, will try to remember to add more when I get home. If anyone heads up this way on the weekend, please keep an eye out for a bright orange dog bootie!
resting at fern lake
resting at fern lake
anthem creek basin, choral, pinnacle, Saska, emerald
anthem creek basin, choral, pinnacle, Saska, emerald
note the single bare foot :(
note the single bare foot frown.gif
pt 7909, with saska, emerald, cardinal behind
pt 7909, with saska, emerald, cardinal behind
sunset from anthem w/ iphone gold larch blob
sunset from anthem w/ iphone gold larch blob
sunrise reflection
sunrise reflection
fern lake from our second trip up anthem
fern lake from our second trip up anthem
survivors, and ruby for scale
survivors, and ruby for scale

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 pm 
I've been waiting for someone to treat us with a TR from Fern this year up.gif

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:19 am 
Cool trip, i was just lookin at anthem from choral a day before you were up there! Cool lookin peak. Sucks bout Rubys shoe too. rant.gif
Cheers and awesome pics/tr!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:15 pm 
Beautiful! At first I thought you had lost a boot, not Ruby. In Alaska sled dogs routinely lose booties. I've seen them chew them off at rest stops. They apparently hate the things on snow.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 pm 
Great photo of Ruby on the summit at sunset, even without the boot.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien