Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > UW volleyball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 pm 
USC about to win 3-1. First match I've watched almost the whole thing in quite a while. Very frustrating. UW kinda stole set 1, then completely gave away set 2 (up 11-4 early, allowed two separate 5-0 scoring runs; also blew 20-17 lead late). Set 3 was back and forth, but Huskies could've won it. Had a couple set points they couldn't capitalize on. Set 4 USC was in control pretty much the whole way. Woulda coulda shoulda but they didn't. Bajema had a big night--23 kills hitting .294. Drechsel also had 17 kills but only hit .132. Overall hitting % pretty low for the Dawgs, way too many hitting errors (part of that was USC block). Out of system too often. Overall kills USC had slight advantage 59-56 but hitting errors was 32-18. Giving away too many points to the opposition. Set scores were 24-26, 25-22, 28-26, 25-18. UCLA match on Friday is huge, Dawgs gotta have that one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm 
I started watching the match (6 pm start today, it seems to vary from match to match), but I had to change the channel. Got a big lead early, then gave it away. I don't know if it's mostly the receiving and passing, or the setting, or the hitters, but they end up with so many weak attacks that have no chance of doing anything. Too frustrating to watch, not feeling up to it. edited--I made a good decision. Looked at gametracker. UW lost first set. Hitting well under .100. Nearly as many hitting errors as kills. Terrible.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm 
This season is going downhill fast. UW lost 3-1 to UCLA. They've now lost 4 of their last 5 matches. Next up is the road trip to Utah and Colorado, which always seems to cause them problems even when they have a good team. I guess it's more of a rebuilding year than I thought. I think the coach is getting kind of desperate. Tonight he burned the redshirt of one of his freshmen (Claire Hoffman), about halfway thru the season. Hitting % did come up. Early in set 2 it was a pathetic .050, ended up being just under .200. They actually outblocked UCLA, that hasn't happened in a while. But serving is usually a strength, tonight they had 1 ace vs. 6 for UCLA.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:13 pm 
Meanwhile over in Pullman, WSU beat both USC and UCLA this weekend. While probably their best OH was out injured. Cougs and Dawgs going in opposite directions at the moment. Stanford is still undefeated, 10-0. USC is 7-3, then a bunch of teams are 6-4 or 5-5 (including UW). Kind of as expected, Stanford running away with it and then a logjam in the middle. Oregon St. is sadly winless at the midpoint of the conference schedule. They looked fine in non-conference, no reason to think they would be struggling this badly.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 6:35 pm 
Egads, this season is going down the toilet. UW looked good early in set 1, up 9-4 against Utah. Lead instantly evaporated and they lost 25-23. They had a 22-17 lead in set 2. It's virtually impossible to lose when you have that big of a lead and only need 3 more points, but they managed to drop that set 26-24. Getting hammered in set 3 19-11. Dawgs just can't put it together the last several weeks. Washington St. swept this same Utah team Wednesday night. I had to quit watching as momentum was going the wrong way in set 1. This team just isn't much fun to watch at this point. At the rate they are going they might finish in 10th place, ahead of only Oregon St. and Cal. Unthinkable for this program. edited--fought back to make it respectable in set 3, but too little too late, lost 25-22. They better snap out of their funk soon. Play at Colorado on Sunday, who is currently battling WSU.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 1:13 pm 
UW loses again 3-1. Outhit and outblocked by Colorado. At least Nebraska is losing too. 4 out of 5 and 5 out of 7. The difference is almost all of Nebraska's losses have been to top 10 ranked teams. Big 10 Conference is brutal.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm 
Not surprisingly, UW fell out of the rankings for the first time in just about forever. Wazzu keeps winning, and barely moved up in the poll. Nebraska as mentioned keeps losing, and actually moved UP in the poll from 9 to 8. How the hell does that work?!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 pm 
UW finally won a match, 3-1 against Arizona St. 4th set was 25-4! Holy cow, I think that's the most lopsided set score I've ever seen. That shouldn't even be possible.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm 
2 wins in a row, UW needed this weekend badly. Caught a bit of a break, Arizona is plagued by injuries including by far their best hitter Dahlke. 3-1. UW was up 11-6 in set 1 but let it slip away. Exact same score in set 2, were up 22-16 and nearly let that one slip away also. Held on 25-23. Cruised in set 3 and 4. I haven't been watching very closely the last several weeks. I noted that they pulled the redshirt from one of the freshmen, Claire Hoffman, about midway thru the season. Fairly unusual move. Seems to be paying off. She's been somewhat productive, today she had a huge match. 21 kills hitting .463, a very good game. Next up is the road trip to LA, a pair of tough matches. Maybe they can manage to split. Conference record is 7-7, they are in a 3 way tie w/ Arizona and UCLA for 5th place. Still Stanford and then everybody else.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 am 
I totally spaced out. UW beat USC 3-1 tonight in LA. Looks like each set was tight, scores were 27-25, 23-25, 25-21, 27-25. USC was missing some key players but a win is a win. Drechsel led the way with 19 kills hitting .545 and Sanders added 16 and .583. Team hit .325 for the match, I would guess that's a season high. UCLA is up next. Washington St. beat them tonight. That would be pretty cool if the Washington schools both go 2-0 in LA.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 pm 
Dawgs have totally turned their season around. Swept UCLA 3-0, 4 straight wins. Offense wasn't overpowering but they had 14 service aces! That is ridiculous. Really tough serving kept UCLA totally off balance. 25-15, 25-22, 25-15. They host Cal and Stanford next Fri. and Sun.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 pm 
Watched the match against Cal off and on tonight. Made me nervous. Cal's record isn't very good but they put up a tough fight. Dawgs win 3-1 but nothing easy about it. UW had 4 players with double digit kills, they haven't gotten that kind of balanced scoring much this season. Next up Stanford on Sunday, still undefeated in conference play and only 1 loss all season. UW has a history of knocking off some really good Stanford team's in Seattle, not sure if they are quite up for it this year. Will find out in a couple days.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 9:27 pm 
Oh well. Stanford swept UW 3-0. I didn't see it, but based on set scores and box score looks like Huskies put up almost no resistance. Regular season is almost over. Host Oregon on Wednesday, last home match, then at Washington St. on Saturday. 10-8 now, tied w/ the Cougs for 4th place in conference. Why do they always seem to play the Ducks around Thanksgiving? Almost every year that happens. Weird scheduling quirk.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 10:44 pm 
Oregon beats UW 3-2. Ducks have been really inconsistent all year, for some reason they've been better on the road than at home. UW dominated set 1 and 3 (25-16 and 25-12) but dropped close sets the other 3. Disappointing. Monster game for Bajema, 21 kills hitting .415. Last regular season game coming up at Wazzu.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 12:22 am 
UW lost to Cougs 3-2. Finished 10-10 in conference in a 3 way tie for 6th place. Stanford went 20-0, I'm pretty sure that's the first time that's ever happened in the Pac 12. UCLA record is under .500 so they are going to miss the playoffs, hard to believe.