Forum Index > Trail Talk > Single hikers with earphone in while hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am 
Sammy wrote:
Dang it! I've been wanting to use that one for years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am 
Lions and Tigers and Bears!
Lions and Tigers and Bears!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 11:42 am 
How does one know if the hikers are "single"?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 12:15 pm 
I got a pair of ear buds, because the gym I go to plays No Doubt. frown.gif They're good to have on walks around the neighborhood. They're legitimately dangerous to use on a road bike, for me at least. Not only do they block traffic noise, they pull me into my own world.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 am 
I don't see any problem with people doing there own thing on this one. My personal experience is that I tried it once and didn't really like it. I think I avoid it for the same reason I don't listen to music while running, I would have to think of something to listen to! I also don't like wondering if I am listening to the right thing for the occasion, better to avoid entirely.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 pm 
Please don't take my question as criticism or "shaming"-- I honestly would like to understand the "why" instead of listening to nature. Is it Habit formed by too much exposure to unwanted noise around town? wanting to use time to set pace? Or just wanting to have an excuse to not stop to talk to others on the trail (AH here??). I actually enjoy stopping to chat with folks on the trail (of course, when I'm wearing my Smokey Bear outfit (I'm a volunteer wilderness ranger with USFS) they often want to stop to ask me questions about the trail, bears, why I have so much stuff on my back (first aid stuff, extra water, emergency shelter, loppers, folding saw, etc), and where they can have fires. It also secretly gives me a minute to catch my breath, grab a gulp of water, etc. Just asking!

Routes

Routes
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:32 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
Please don't take my question as criticism or "shaming"-- I honestly would like to understand the "why" instead of listening to nature. Is it Habit formed by too much exposure to unwanted noise around town? wanting to use time to set pace? Or just wanting to have an excuse to not stop to talk to others on the trail (AH here??). I actually enjoy stopping to chat with folks on the trail (of course, when I'm wearing my Smokey Bear outfit (I'm a volunteer wilderness ranger with USFS) they often want to stop to ask me questions about the trail, bears, why I have so much stuff on my back (first aid stuff, extra water, emergency shelter, loppers, folding saw, etc), and where they can have fires. It also secretly gives me a minute to catch my breath, grab a gulp of water, etc. Just asking!
I listen to music/books/podcasts to pass the time on woody switchbacks until I get to the goods. I enjoy being able to multi-task and intaking a book I've been meaning to get to or learning something from a podcast while on a hike is a win-win for me. I mentioned in my earlier post that I will pause whatever I'm listening to when I see approaching hikers in case they want to chat, because I do enjoy chatting with people on the trail. So, to your post, it's not necessarily an either/or situation. Best of both worlds!

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Plus, when I listen to music, I LISTEN TO MUSIC. I pretty much give it my complete attention. ............I have no issue at all with other people being earbudded, way better than them trying to edify me with their musical expertise.
Yes! Musicians, in general, hate background music. It teaches you not to listen to music. It all started with Muzak and their bogus studies claiming music increased productivity or sales or whatever. Now it has become so ubiquitous that, as another poster mentioned, every millisecond has to be filled with music, and even speech has to have noodley music in the background. Earbuds should be MANDATORY if people want to listen to music in a public area; on trails, in stores, wherever. And yes I yelled at that cloud, it was an ugly irritating cloud.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 am 
That which is not forbidden, will be mandatory.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 1:09 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
That which is not forbidden, will be mandatory.
It was obviously (to most people) a joke.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep