Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Peak 10/21/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gbanks19

gbanks19
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 12:29 pm 
I want to thank Matt Lemke for posting an inspirational trip report from two weeks ago (in finishing the Bulger list!), which frankly inspired me to get at it. So many words to describe this trip and tell the story, but I can't compete with Matt for finishing the Bulger List. I can however say that I am proud to have finished the Volcano list, which was my first goal when I moved to Washington in 2016. I climbed Rainier two weeks ago in less than 24 hours to avoid incoming storms and finished things off with a 25 hour round trip climb of Glacier, climbing to White Pass after work on Friday in the dark and setting up a bivy base camp there. Aside from spectacular late October weather, I wanted to post these pictures to show how much the terrain can change this time of year (compared to a trip report from two weeks ago). The unsung heroes of this trip were the awesome mushrooms in the forest and a number of nocturnal wildlife encounters: multiple hooting owls, a nearby elk call, and my light reflecting off the eyes of a mysterious gang of animals ("please be deer, please be deer"). Overall, this was my first time truly visiting the Glacier Peak Wilderness. I had been in the area on Sloan and Pugh, but the terrain diversity of this climb was truly special. You don't have to climb any mountains to enjoy the wonderful diversity of this area: ancient forests full of moss (and interesting mushrooms), gorgeous alpine ridges, martian boulder basins, all surrounded by glaciers. The trail quality itself is as nice as it gets in Washington.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5hyfN23hbu1z1z2h7

George Banks
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 12:36 pm 
wow those reds at White pass! wow! up.gif

gbanks19

gbanks19
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:59 pm 
The reds in alpenglow were special. I should add, these were all iPhone photos without alteration on google images. An actual photographer would have had a field day. It looked like the Painted Hills.

George Banks
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:57 pm 
Spectacular, and you probably had the whole mountain to yourself.
gbanks19 wrote:
my light reflecting off the eyes of a mysterious gang of animals ("please be deer, please be deer").
smile.gif We've probably all had that thought, or similar. . Recently during a long day I hallucinated to the point where I imagined a tawny cougar was crouched on the trail ahead, looking at me. eek.gif As I cautiously approached the cat transformed into a drift of tawny bigleaf maple leaves! Then there are the burned stumps, which we at first mistake for bears.......

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
gbanks19

gbanks19
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:37 pm 
There were actually three other people enjoying some good weather! I can say that I had Disappointment Peak to myself as I was the only person who scrambled off glacier.

George Banks
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:03 pm 
Very nice. up.gif up.gif

Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:44 am 
gbanks19 wrote:
Quote:
my light reflecting off the eyes of a mysterious gang of animals ("please be deer, please be deer").
At night in the darkness the color of animal eyes reflecting from light from a flashlight or vehicle headlights provides an indication of the identification. I did odd jobs at a beef (hereford) cattle farm when I was in high school and driving to the farm at night we could see the eyes of the cattle (bluish), deer (bright white), and bears eating fruit in an old orchard. I do not recall the bears' eye colors but I do remember that the bears did not look into the truck headlights. On the internet there is a report: "the B.C. Selkirks, the cougar's eyes glowed yellow/gold when my headlamp caught it at about 30 meters distance"

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 am 
Hey there, those are some great fall pictures. Would love to be in that area this time of year. You did the route over disappointment peak? I was there in august and attempted but did not bring crampons so turned back near the top of disappointment. I'm going back up next year, can you tell me your specific route you used? Does the trail cross the last snowfield near the top of disappointment? Thanks

none
gbanks19

gbanks19
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 am 
Hey Jordan. I climbed straight up the ridge that you can see in my 9th picture and did not deviate east or west by more than 20 feet. That was taken around 9000 feet. I stayed directly on that ridge line all the way to the summit. Compared to the cal topo tracks, I stayed consistently 50-150 feet west of that line. It was class 3 to the top, albeit I had to make a single class 4 move to top out (5 vertical feet). There was more or less no snow until the summit pyramid and I did not use crampons due to sun cooked conditions, although I had them in my bag. I did not cross any snow fields on Disappointment. Happy to answer any other questions you may have or post my Gaia tracks or draw a line of what I basically did. In the end, it looked like there were tons of good scramble options up high so it may be possible to find a better way to negotiate the crux top out, but I felt very comfortable with the move. Oh and the eyes were bright white, thanks for that bit of info!

George Banks
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:21 am 
gbanks19 wrote:
I climbed Rainier two weeks ago in less than 24 hours to avoid incoming storms
eek.gif Wow, it took me about that long just to get up to Ingraham Flats! lol.gif Nice report, thank you. I've been watching for trip reports on Glacier, as this one is likely going to be the last one on my list for big Cascade mountains.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
gbanks19

gbanks19
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:51 pm 
Trust me, I will gladly camp out in the future! Climbing Rainier after work on a Friday is how you peak bag and make yourself proud, but it is certainly not the way to enjoy the mountains. That said, someone who posted on this trip report (not going to say who!) has the record RT time on Glacier to my knowledge in just under 8 hours. Pretty amazing.

George Banks
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:26 pm 
gbanks19 wrote:
Hey Jordan. I climbed straight up the ridge that you can see in my 9th picture and did not deviate east or west by more than 20 feet. That was taken around 9000 feet. I stayed directly on that ridge line all the way to the summit. Compared to the cal topo tracks, I stayed consistently 50-150 feet west of that line. It was class 3 to the top, albeit I had to make a single class 4 move to top out (5 vertical feet). There was more or less no snow until the summit pyramid and I did not use crampons due to sun cooked conditions, although I had them in my bag. I did not cross any snow fields on Disappointment. Happy to answer any other questions you may have or post my Gaia tracks or draw a line of what I basically did. In the end, it looked like there were tons of good scramble options up high so it may be possible to find a better way to negotiate the crux top out, but I felt very comfortable with the move. Oh and the eyes were bright white, thanks for that bit of info!
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stay on that ridge this time. I crossed over to one of the more western ridges, over the chute to the west and up the rocks on the other side. I can say I wont be doing that again. Rocks are too unstable and I came across a crevasse of sorts in the rock. That turned me around. Maybe I'll PM you next summer sometime to pick your brain again. If you could make some sort of line on a google map image to show your route that would be great, now that I know the terrain a little better. Thanks, I appreciate the info.

none
gbanks19

gbanks19
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:29 pm 
Obviously the terrain varies considerably depending on the snow conditions. Here's what I took.

George Banks
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:16 am 
gbanks19 wrote:
That said, someone who posted on this trip report (not going to say who!) has the record RT time on Glacier to my knowledge in just under 8 hours. Pretty amazing.
That was the old common route, the White Chuck trail and Sitkum Glacier. It isn't climbed now because the trail is gone. That route is at least a couple of hours quicker if one is speed climbing, than going fortime onthe today's common route, the Suiattle-Cool Glacier route. But the car to car summit FKT is under 9 hours now via today's common route and definitely not by a BB. . THAT'S an amazing time. Although it was fun to do fast trips, I am no longer capable, being "twice as old and half as fast." It is great now just to mosey along and enjoy the scene.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 5:23 am 
popular area this year