Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shameless Peakbagging around Syncline and the larches at Grasshopper Pass 10/13-14/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 pm 
Larch Land
Larch Land
Morning on Azurite
Morning on Azurite
Larches and Ballard
Larches and Ballard
Continuing yet again to look for another obscure Cascades 7000er to climb, I recruited David, he recruited James, and the day before we were to leave Eusebio rings me up from Portland and asks if I have a trip going, so we were 4 from Seattle for an overnight in the Pasaytens where I was hoping the larches still had some color. Syncline is the 7560'+ peak south of Tatie Peak, the high point of the ridge line just east of the much more impressive ridge that runs from Azurite to Ballard. I'd been wanting to do Syncline for years, and a recent report showed fine larches at Grasshopper Pass, so now seemed like the right time. Day 1: Slate Peak, Grasshopper Peak and camp at Grasshopper Pass Eusebio volunteered his car and we made the nearly four hour drive to Slate Pass to warm up on the half mile road walk to Slate Peak.
Slate Peak Lookout
Slate Peak Lookout
Crater and Jack
Crater and Jack
The skies hadn't quite cleared yet, making for some moody and interesting cloud play on the distant peaks.
Syncline in the foreground, Azurite and Ballard beyond
Syncline in the foreground, Azurite and Ballard beyond
Ballard
Ballard
Moody Pasayten Peak and Buckskin Ridge
Moody Pasayten Peak and Buckskin Ridge
Haystack
Haystack
Cone does not look very conelike from Slate Peak
Cone does not look very conelike from Slate Peak
Only David and I had been to Slate Peak before, so the lookout and views were new for half the group.
Lookout
Lookout
Returning to the car, we drove back to Harts Pass and took the side road to the PCT South TH at 6400'. Since we only had a 5 mile backpack to camp at Grasshopper Pass via the easy 800' of gain on the PCT, we knew we had plenty of time to wander along at a sedate pace to enjoy the views on this marvelous open trail.
Tatie
Tatie
Syncline
Syncline
Soon we came to the first...
Larches!
Larches!
Not surprisingly, they were not as golden as hoped this far into October,
A bit past prime
A bit past prime
but the fallen needles were magical in their own way.
Fairy dust
Fairy dust
Farther along passing Tatie the color did improve a bit.
Golden larches on the PCT
Golden larches on the PCT
Cone Mountain
Cone Mountain
Larches and Light
Larches and Light
Continuing on the open trail,
Around Tatie
Around Tatie
around first Tatie then past Syncline on its east face, we soon reached Grasshopper Pass and found good camping with a fire ring just south of the pass proper.
Approaching Grasshopper Pass
Approaching Grasshopper Pass
Grasshopper Pass
Grasshopper Pass
Camp at Grasshopper Pass
Camp at Grasshopper Pass
Some good larches and our first look at our peak for today.
Larch Land
Larch Land
Grasshopper Peak
Grasshopper Peak
Once camp was all set up we were off to do Grasshopper Peak, the first high point south of the pass. Route was along the PCT for a hundred yards or so, then along the bootpath that follows the ridge.
On the way
On the way
Soon we reached the 7125' summit,
Fast grasshoppers
Fast grasshoppers
and could immediately see that this would be the only high point for the day, as the ridge farther along looks nasty, even more so than the picture suggests.
Handcock Ridge
Handcock Ridge
Arralde
Arralde
A good view to a trip from last year on Delancy Ridge and Flagg Mtn,
Flagg and Cat Leap
Flagg and Cat Leap
and the higher peaks to the west and south.
Cat Leap and Straight Ridge
Cat Leap and Straight Ridge
Cat Leap and the Needles
Cat Leap and the Needles
Holliway, Tower and Golden Horn behind
Holliway, Tower and Golden Horn behind
More views:
Azurite
Azurite
Ballard
Ballard
Devils Peak and Robinson
Devils Peak and Robinson
After a nice long break it was time to return to camp and gather firewood for the cool evening to come.
Syncline
Syncline
On the way back, Grasshopper Pass and Syncline
On the way back, Grasshopper Pass and Syncline
A few more larch shots on the way,
Larches and Ballard
Larches and Ballard
Tilting at larches
Tilting at larches
Comet
Comet
and back to the pass.
Back to the pass
Back to the pass
We gathered a decent bit of fallen branches, and for the first time I used a simple firestarter made from ingredients I'd purchased for all of $2 at the dollar store: cotton balls coated with Vaseline. This not only has the advantage of being cheap, light, and easy to make, since Vaseline is a petroleum product it burns well, and has the additional benefit of being waterproof. We got the fire stoked to a good flame fairly quickly, and enjoyed the warmth on this cool and calm starlit night. Day 2: Syncline, Tatie, Cone, and Grasshoppers on Dickey We packed up camp and were up and moving by the time the sun had lit up the ridges. Returning to the pass next to Syncline,
Syncline start
Syncline start
the brilliant morning sunlight illuminated the slopes and peaks for some fine early photography.
Morning on Azurite
Morning on Azurite
The PCT at Grasshopper Pass
The PCT at Grasshopper Pass
Grasshopper Peak & Pass, Tower and Golden Horn beyond
Grasshopper Peak & Pass, Tower and Golden Horn beyond
David and James moved quickly up the south ridge while Eusebio and I made our own way initially through rock and krummholz, then as the stunted trees got thicker we found a way to the left on open rocky terrain.
Turning the corner onto the ridge
Turning the corner onto the ridge
Soon we topped out on the first bump,
David ahead
David ahead
and then to the south summit.
Jet Peak
Jet Peak
David on the south peak
David on the south peak
One thing that struck me here was the way the little plants hung on tenaciously to the otherwise barren soil. A few grasses and small flowering plants, and little clumps of moss here and there.
Holding on
Holding on
Now all on the south summit, the ridge to the true summit at first glance looked intimidating,
The ridge to the true summit
The ridge to the true summit
but a quick look at the west slopes looked straightforward, and it turned out to be so, either directly on the ridge or just below on the west side.
Beginning the ridge walk
Beginning the ridge walk
A fun and scenic ridge walk and soon we were on the summit of Syncline, at 7560'+ our high point for the trip.
Final ridge walk
Final ridge walk
David on the summit of Syncline
David on the summit of Syncline
Syncline summit crew
Syncline summit crew
One thing all of the peaks here have in common is the superb location for photos of many of the highest peaks in the state. From the summits of Syncline, Tatie and Cone, we could see nearly a third of the Bulger List as the three peaks gave somewhat different vantage points and angles for a observing 30 or more of the hundred highest summits in Washington.
Ballard
Ballard
Eusebio and Azurite
Eusebio and Azurite
Black Peak
Black Peak
Crater and Jack
Crater and Jack
The Pasaytens
The Pasaytens
Osceola, Ptarmigan, Carru, Lago
Osceola, Ptarmigan, Carru, Lago
Robinson
Robinson
Good views of nearby peaks too:
Cone
Cone
Tatie and the PCT
Tatie and the PCT
After a nice long break and with miles still to go, we started down the class 2/3 north ridge toward our next objective.
Next, Tatie
Next, Tatie
On the way
On the way
Larches below
Larches below
Eusebio
Eusebio
Looking back
Looking back
With fresh powder snow on this side, we moved right onto the lower angled broad NE side of the slope and booted down in anywhere from 4-8" of snow to the Syncline/Tatie saddle.
Snow on the North Slope
Snow on the North Slope
The snow descent
The snow descent
Looking forward to Tatie
Looking forward to Tatie
David and James
David and James
Once we reached this I decided to pass on the long ridge that led from Tatie to Dickey, the peak to the north of Tatie, and told the others to go on ahead while I made my way at a more leisurely pace to the summit of Tatie. The south ridge of Tatie is more chossy than the south ridge of Syncline but not difficult.
Tatie choss
Tatie choss
Krummholz
Krummholz
Syncline
Syncline
The others topped out,
David on Tatie
David on Tatie
Tatie Party
Tatie Party
and after another break they took off for Dickey while I worked my way up the somewhat tedious junky rock to the summit of Tatie, 7386'.
More choss fun
More choss fun
Tatie summit block
Tatie summit block
I'd been up Tatie once before linking it from the other side via Cone Mtn on a great solo trip seven years earlier. Given the long ridge the others had to run for their bonus peak,
Dickey
Dickey
I knew I had plenty of time to hang out in the wonderful warm October sun on this perfect weather day. So I took some more shots of the scenery,
Crater and Jack
Crater and Jack
Jack
Jack
Shuksan
Shuksan
Pasayten Pk, Buckskin Ridge and Slate Pk lookout
Pasayten Pk, Buckskin Ridge and Slate Pk lookout
Lookout zoom
Lookout zoom
Robinson
Robinson
Syncline
Syncline
then used the zoom on the heavier camera I had decided to bring on this trip to capture the others as they reached the summit of Dickey.
Grasshoppers on Dickey
Grasshoppers on Dickey
Dickey conquerors
Dickey conquerors
Once the others began the return to Tatie, I packed up and began the super easy descent and ridge ramble toward Cone Mtn.
Cone awaits
Cone awaits
'Bye Tatie
'Bye Tatie
Easy ridge walk
Easy ridge walk
About midway between the two peaks the PCT rises to the ridgeline and follows it a short ways until diving off again onto the south slopes.
Return to the PCT
Return to the PCT
There is a bootpath that leaves the trail and follows the ridge for a ways,
And a bit of trail snow
And a bit of trail snow
Distant Tatie
Distant Tatie
before disappearing in the choss and stunted trees. Once below the steeper class 2/3 summit block, I took another long break before climbing the rather loose rock on the west ridge of Cone. This turned out to be the loosest rock of the trip.
All up now
All up now
Cone choss
Cone choss
Topping out on a minor bump I walked the easy short summit ridge to the top of Cone, 7405'.
Summit Cone
Summit Cone
The ridge from Tatie
The ridge from Tatie
Syncline
Syncline
Ninetynine Basin
Ninetynine Basin
Again, more time for pics of the Big Boys.
Black Peak
Black Peak
Golden Horn
Golden Horn
Tower
Tower
Needles
Needles
Robinson
Robinson
Devils
Devils
From here, I could even see the biggest one of all--Bonanza, the highest non-volcanic peak in the state.
Bonanza
Bonanza
More time to chill, eat, and soak up the sun until the others made their way up.
Eusebio arrives on Cone
Eusebio arrives on Cone
Pleased with their bonus peak and the superb weather and views, we hung out here for a good half an hour till it was time to wander back down to the trail.
Mountain pine
Mountain pine
A short scramble on the east ridge, then we began the several hundred feet of descent on loose rocks making sure to stay close all the way to avoid rockfall hazards.
Typical descent slope
Typical descent slope
About halfway to the trail the talus gave way to small scree as we descended via the path of least resistance down to the PCT. Then it was a pleasant walk for a mile or so back to the car.
Robinson from the PCT
Robinson from the PCT
We had thought about adding Harts Peak 6828' to finish out the trip, but as I'd done it a few years earlier and we were all more interested in food, we left it for another day and drove out in daylight to see the evening sun on the beautiful views and fall colors of the Methow Valley from high on the Harts Pass road. This was a fun and very enjoyable trip. This area is always great for high trail starts and wide open vistas in larch country, and this amazing stretch of beautiful October weather was a perfect match to the scenery. It was great to get the guys into an area new to them, and they had a lot of fun running high open ridges with even higher peaks all around. All in all, an excellent trip up fairly easy peaks in absolutely fantastic weather. 14 miles, 3800' gain (a bit more for the others) Eric J. Johnson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 am 
cool! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:30 pm 
I love your trip reports and photos, Mr. Larch!
cartman wrote:
The skies hadn't quite cleared yet, making for some moody and interesting cloud play on the distant peaks.
I love blue sky and golden larches, but it's true that clouds can make the scene more interesting.
cartman wrote:
for the first time I used a simple firestarter made from ingredients I'd purchased for all of $2 at the dollar store: cotton balls coated with Vaseline.
You too have discovered the secret firestarter!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
JustJoe

JustJoe
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 am 
Thanks for the great TR. Fantastic photos and very thoroughly documented. What was the water situation for you guys? Carry-in, melt snow or were streams running? Thanks again!

cartman

cartman
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 pm 
For water, all snow. No running water on the route.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 pm 
A great feast for the eyes. Must have been great in real time.

Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 2:52 pm 
You must be the group of four on Grasshopper Peak, I recognize those tents in the meadow. We were the two coming down the peak. We car-camped below the LO and hiked the Buckskin ridge Sun. Beautiful Fall weekend!

cartman

cartman
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm 
Kenji, I thought that might be you from your Facebook photo but I wasn't sure. This is you and your partner on the top of Grasshopper:
cartman wrote:
Fast grasshoppers
Fast grasshoppers
It really was a beautiful weekend. I did Buckskin as part of a 3 day trip with Pasayten Peak a few years ago. The basin above Silver Pass and below Gold Ridge has spectacular larch groves.